Welcome to the new CC Forums!

Is there a way to freeze the actual title of thread as well as the forum/subforum at the top of the page, just below the large headers like FORUMS, et al?

Once you start scrolling down in the thread, the title of the thread and which forum/subforum disappears. For instance, when I am reading the Class of 2021 thread, I cannot tell that is what thread I am in. There are two for 2021 - one with that title and one for Class of 2021-3.4 gpa. Sometimes I click on the wrong one accidentally. But now there is no way to see what thread I’m into without having to scroll all the way up to top again. Also, at the top of the thread it shows Parents Forum Class of … That needs to be frozen there so that one can easily just click on either Parents Forum or Class of … in order to stay in those subforums rather than having to click on FORUMS which includes the entire index. It should be easy to quickly see other threads within a subforum, but by not having those links remain frozen while scrolling down, it becomes a long process to quickly navigate to the next thread one wants to read in the same subforum.

I hope that makes sense - I’d attach a screenshot but that does not seem to be allowed even though there is a button for adding images right here in the text box. Will that feature ever work for us? If not, delete it please.

5 Likes

Oops, looks like we were typing at the same time. Thanks for answering both of my questions!

1 Like

@CC_Mike

Your explanation of “suggested posts” is not what is happening. The ones I see have absolutely no relation to topics I have read. It looks like a random list of posts and most don’t apply to me…at all.

1 Like

@thumper1 that happened in the beta test as well. :frowning_face:

Are bookmarks ever coming back? I had such a nice collection of threads. :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m as cranky as the next person – probably more so, actually-- but things have improved already. When I return to a thread it takes me to where I left off. And I just bookmarked a thread successfully. This is on a phone.

One non urgent quibble. There are 2 versions of my reply as I’m typing it, side by side. One in a box on the left and the other one (on the right) a very narrow column of text. Probably a good idea to get rid of that right side draft text.

4 Likes

Try using your browser’s font size control. For example Ctrl-+ (hold control key and press +) and Ctrl-- (hold control key and press -), at least on some browsers. (On MacOS, it may be the key to hold while pressing + or -).

1 Like

At least on a computer, the right side is the rendered version of what you are typing, so that you can see what it will look like after posting. However, if the web site is trying to do it on mobile, the space is probably too small for it to be useful. On a computer, there is a “hide preview” option to make the rendered version go away.

1 Like

Absolutely! We’ll get them back from the old site as soon as we can. But first we need to fix the links from the old site to the new so that your bookmarks will function properly.

2 Likes

How about a save draft button and a place to find the drafts.

I also think finding messages could be a little more obvious.

Better fix than the 2 you were given to increase text size:

1. Click on your avatar.

2. Then choose the little man right below him (marked preferences).

3. Then pick “preferences” again.

4. Then pick “interface”.

5. Then you have an option to change “Text Size”.

Makes it much better for me.

3 Likes

Congrats! Just kidding. We set everyone to trust level 1 so there wasn’t any confusion about who was what level. All long time community members will settle at level 3 pretty quickly just through regular activity.

In your level progression, you’ll see how a new user would experience the site and how it grants that user “trust” over time. If you want to know how trust levels work, I can point you to a guide that will prob tell you more than you ever wanted to know about how it works. :wink:

While there isn’t a button, drafts of replies are automatically saved and accessible through your profile menu. Click on your pic → little person icon → Drafts

If you don’t have any drafts, it will say:

You have no drafts; begin composing a reply in any topic and it will be auto-saved as a new draft.

There is no drafting of new thread posts just yet. Some have worked around it by sending themselves a private message.

I’m not able to see some forum pages; they just say page not found.
Examples:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/summer-programs/2005680-best-most-prestigious-summer-programs.html

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1850129-major-extracurricular-activities-and-awards-ranked-by-prestige.html

Really? It shouldn’t be that difficult.

2 Likes

@CC_Mike the more you hide in hard to access places the harder this forum will be to use. Getting to the profile page is challenge enough. It used to be quite simple!

Not sure why drafts should be buried there.

4 Likes

I would love to read this whole thread but the lag time is SO SO very awful I literally cannot - is there a reason for all the lag time in loading - like literally awful and I’m on a laptop.

So forgive me if this has already been mentioned. Can you start a “tips” pinned thread? Like where you list important things like how to change avatar, how to mute someone, how to get to the bottom of a thread, etc.

Also I noticed that if you try to tag someone on a post the forum doesn’t suggest names as you start to type. That was really helpful before.

4 Likes

I don’t know how to quote, but I’m responding to abasket’s post above. If your “new and improved forum” needs tutorials, I’d hesitate to call it new and improved. I’m really not interested in watching videos to figure out how to interact with it.

5 Likes

The charge on my battery is dropping like a stone. It never drops this quickly, ever. I think it must be related to all the scrolling and constant page loading. The lag during loading is terrible. If I scroll back to look at something whole posts disappear and portions of my screen are just a huge white space where posts are supposed to be.

1 Like

Highlight the text you want to quote. A popup will give a quote button. Press it. You will then be composing a reply that starts with the quote.

There should be a “quote” button that at least pops up the instructions to avoid “how do I quote?” from becoming a tiresome FAQ.

3 Likes