Welcome to the new CC Forums!

I have a pair of questions about notifications. (I think the first one is about notifications, at least—but the fact I’m not fully certain speaks to the user-unfriendliness of the interface.)

1. What in the world is the difference between watching and tracking?
  2. How can I set things up so that I can see on CC that a specific topic thread has new posts?

Basically, on the old CC I could see at a pretty quick glance that any bookmarked thread had new posts. (BTW, the bookmarking system looks like it only applies to posts, not threads? What?!?) I thought that clicking ‘watching’ on this thread would let me do something similar, but that just meant I got an email notice of every. single. new. post. on this thread—emphatically not what I wanted, especially since that happened even after I went into my profile settings and said I didn’t want any email notices of anything except mentions and DMs.

So is there some location in this new interface where I can see if the very few threads I’m invested in have had new posts? And how would I set that up?

1 Like

I don’t think admins are seeing our issues cuz thei system set up is more powerful and, I’d bet, customized.

Please don’t tell us to scroll through hundreds of posts to find the general Reply box. Nor to click here, then there, then there.

5 Likes
  1. Why do we need a list with of colleges with musical theater majors? We don’t have lists for the thousands of other college majors. Please consider collapsing that list under the title “Colleges with Musical Theater Programs” . That way, folks wanting to see that long list can open that pinned area. The rest of us can then can not see it all.
6 Likes

Also. When I am in a thread, there is NO header at the top that allows me to go back to Latest (or whatever.) So telling me to use it is useless. If I click my back button, I go to a prior thread. Do it again and it kicks me out.

see ← this pound sign? That’s what I now get when I hit shift #.

And the lovely bold font, which I do not want

1 Like

It appears that we can react to a post with an emoji but we cannot add a simple “:-)” in the text of the post.

1 Like

This! Or just any ad blocker. Mine says it’s blocked 457 ads right now. No wonder people are having loading problems, I’ve never ever seen a number that big before.

Ok, I will definitely have to use an ad blocker. That is way too much data to waste. I didn’t really mind ads in general knowing someone has to pay for the site, but that number is horrid.

@dfbdfb if you scroll down to the last post of the thread there is an option to bookmark the entire thread and not just a post. I can see where one would want to bookmark a particularly helpful post in a long thread so that is useful but the bookmarking of the entire thread should be available at both the top and bottom of the thread.

I came to this page to ask what green and light blue numbers mean on my profile. I logged on and had a couple light blue numbers and a couple green numbers. I poked around and the blue numbers went away. One of the green went away and one didn’t. I can’t seem to figure out if it is a message or a reply or a tag or what it is trying to alert me about.

Also, I was alerted that my trust level went up so to reply to discobot to find out what I can do. I replied and it keeps telling me to speak my reply. I’m on a PC without a mic so can’t do it. I replied as such but discobot keeps telling me to speak my response. :frowning:

1 Like

I will just answer this. No…

Just sent you two screenshots as requested.

When my status bumped up, i receive several messages about this. I don’t want these messages…and I don’t need them. I also don’t want awards for my first quote or my first whatever else. In my opinion, this is a total waste of data space.

People come here to get advice, not badges or awards for doing posts.

6 Likes

The popup with the following

The New CC Forums are Here!
We’re thrilled to announce that the new CC Forums are live on College Confidential! We’ve upgraded to a modern forum platform with enhanced features so you can have a seamless community experience.
This is only the beginning; we’re continuing to work on the site based on your suggestions. Join the conversation and see what’s changed!

pops up every time. Can it be made to stop popping up after the user has seen it once or a small number of times, or has visited this thread that it links to?

1 Like

BUG: some formatting of old posts has been incorrectly imported.

For example, in post #1 of http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/faq-pre-med-courses-ap-ib-etc-credit-and-college-de-courses-etc/2103542 , sections B and E of the text of the post have lists of items, each starting on a new line with a *. Now, the list is combined in one line with all previous and following text. Also, the link to the MSAR page in that post has been incorrectly converted.

Note also that this post demostrates another bug – the URL of the other post should be a link, and is a link in the preview while composing and editing this post, but is not a link when posted.

I’m hoping that I blow through most of those this week so they stop showing up. I seem to be on track, my notification window is full of them.

When looking at the list of threads that I have bookmarked, it should have the title first and not the name of the person who started the thread. For example it says, “Gumbymom UC Berkeley Class of 2025 Discussion” It should just be “UC Berkeley Class of 2025 Discussion”

3 Likes

Is there a way to set the tracking/watching/normal status of EVERYTHING to “tracking”, without having to change it on every single thread? I want to see a count of unread messages on every thread, even if I haven’t replied to it. Is there some way to recreate the old standard of bold=there are posts I haven’t read; non-bold=I’ve read everything in this thread?

2 Likes

Apparently I have to reply to every thread if I want to see how many new posts there are. But actually I do have a question. If I reply to something midthread how the heck do I get back to where I was? It seems to send me to the end of the thread, if I do a back arrow, I end up on a different page.

The new site appears to work not at all on the Brave browser for desktop. Initial page loads and links will take you elsewhere, but pages don’t scroll.

I’m having a terrible time getting this to work, and am missing many features that I depended on. The pale little scroll bar only shows up when my iPad is in landscape mode. If I try to scroll to the bottom of a long thread it starts jumping all around and moves me back instead of forward. Everything is so slow it feels like dial-up Internet, not our super fast home internet. Typing just now is lagging by several words, and I’m typing with two fingers,…

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will look at it on my iPad or desktop and maybe it will become more intuitive. Best regards!