We're picking up the pieces, but what went wrong?

<p>
[quote]
Yeah, we're launching a campaign! I could get a job as campaign manager for the next presidential candidate after this!!!

[/quote]

andi,</p>

<p>And they'd be lucky to get you!!!!!!!!! You GO girl! ~b.</p>

<p>question "where is your son going to school"?</p>

<p>answers:</p>

<p>Where is YOUR son going to school? this is especially funny if their son is 5 , 40 or doesn't exist</p>

<p>Son? What son? </p>

<p>He ran away with the circus yesterday.</p>

<p>He didn't tell me yet.</p>

<p>Massachussetts State at Charleston</p>

<p>He decided to do college via homeschooling with his AP Physics teacher. We helped him move in with her last night.</p>

<p>God came to him in a dream and instructed him to do a Gap Year. ;)</p>

<p>He decided he deserves a little break before settling down to college.
He couldn't decide, so he's doing a Gap Year to find himself.
He wants to focus on his music for a year before attacking his college degree.</p>

<p>Dear All,</p>

<p>Thank you for your support and encouragement.</p>

<p>Jamimom,</p>

<p>Thanks for further elaborating on your take on essays. I am beginning to understand the issue better.</p>

<p>Cricket, Twistedsis and Achat,</p>

<p>Thank you for your support and advice. Certainly need it it all for my second son. </p>

<p>We are all very happy with the Cooper acceptance. It was the saviour of the season and lifted my son's spirits immensely !! The smile on his face when he came to tell me - wow, priceless.</p>

<p>I would influence S to choose Cooper in a second. But I worry whether S will be able to withstand the work-pressure at Cooper, the laid back person that he is. I showed him some of the students' cautioning posts from the old CC discussions, so he knows exactly what he is getting into. True, Swarthmore would have been equally if not tougher, but at least the living part is easy there. At Coopers one gets kicked out of the dorm after the first year, and after that they have to pretty much fend for themselves - finding apartments, commuting and all that. I am just asking S to think about all this before deciding. Of course, if he manages to do all this - living on his own in NYC and studying at Coopers - I am sure he will be one hell of a guy at the end of it all :-) I am hoping that he will say 'yeah, I can do all that, so am certainly going to Cooper'. </p>

<p>But then, I would have brought up cautionary aspects whichever college he decided on, whether Princeton (assuming he had got in) or Rutgers. </p>

<p>Mcdeb1958,</p>

<p>Ha, ha, ha. Thank you so very much for your tips. Beleive me, I AM going to use them. </p>

<p>There are people who did'nt call me for ages, that are leaving messages for me now - hey, just called to say hi and how you are doing. I am going to the use the 'moved in Phy teacher'. Although S would prefer the circus !</p>

<p>Cricket,</p>

<p>"NYU is about $11000 room and board, on or off campus."</p>

<p>Cooper has quoted 10K for double room, and 11K for single room in their dorm. I dont know if this includes food. </p>

<p>How does NYU say it will be 11K off-campus also ? I am very interested because perhaps there are some good options they provide. </p>

<p>Cooper has some additional fees - 1500 for domestic, and 3000 for internationals. Then there are books. I suppose along with sundry expenses, even the first year will cost 17-18K.</p>

<p>Where's your son going to go to school next year?...</p>

<p>1.He's so upset about the Pope dying, we haven't even been able to talk to him yet about college.
2.He thinks he might enlist.<br>
3.(shrug) When he tells us, you'll be the first to know. Promise.
4.Why?
5.Have we ever met?</p>

<p>sac wins. if this was a contest. posting in lower case makes me feel like i have lost 30 years off my age;)</p>

<p>"anyone have some good lines for what to say to the curious friends and neighbors who ask where s is going to be going to school, when I run into them in town?? "</p>

<p>Andi, you're just too sincere to give a flip response. For those who care about you, I'd say "Things didn't work out the way we'd hoped. We're regrouping and will have a plan in a month or so." Don't worry about how to respond to friends; they will want to help you through this difficult time. For those who are just being nosy, I'd just say "Don't know yet" and resist any further probing.</p>

<p>Your son's the one who's going to need to keep his composure, especially with the waitlist sword of Damocles hanging over his head. He should say something like "Tanglewood next, and then. . . Who knows?" Same situation with friends who are curious versus curious who are not friends.</p>

<p>I'm so glad to hear about the Tanglewood opportunity. Something VERY positive to look forward to. Now to fill up a few more months. I'd suggest that you delay the job part to the far end of the Gap (it's actually 15 months, so there's a lot of time here). I'd concentrate first on more Tanglewood-type experiences, travel, volunteering, internships, language study etc. In other words activities that would enhance his application. After the applications are in the mail there will still be 8-9 months before school starts.</p>

<p>I think you should start a separate thread about re-applying as I'm sure there are logistical issues that experienced parents and students could tell you about. For example, the recommendation, should you recycle or start again? What kind of explanation should you give the colleges that you're applying to, especially if it's the second time around? This is uncharted territory for most of us.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement! There's lot's of great stuff here for future parents and students and hopefully they'll read it BEFORE applying to colleges. We could save the thread under the title WARNING; DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU
We'll see what happens with the wl and if that doesn't pan out I'll take momrath's suggestion and start a new thread about reapplying :p<br>
In the meantime s will be planning to attend that famous school- College Confidentialia he's got connections there- his mom's the recruiter
andi</p>

<p>
[quote]
In the meantime s will be planning to attend that famous school- College Confidentialia he's got connections there- his mom's the recruiter

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes! Can you get my S in for law school? Who wants to mess with that app. process again? <em>lol</em> ~b.</p>

<p>From Coopers own website - Admission page FAQ's:</p>

<p>How much does it really cost to attend The Cooper Union? </p>

<p>Tuition is listed at $27,500 per year. Every student receives a full tuition scholarship and is not responsible for tuition-related costs. </p>

<p>Cooper Union students are responsible for living and miscellaneous expenses. These include mandatory student fees (totaling $1,400 per year), room and board (about $13,000 per year), books and supplies (about $1,000-1,800 per year), and general living expenses (about $2,300 per year), totaling approximately $18,000 per year. International students are assessed a $1,500/year filing fee. All students must prove medical insurance coverage or participate in our medical insurance plan for a health services fee of $1,445/year.</p>

<p>Never underestimate the value of a sense of humor. Hey, maybe a gap year on the comedy circuit making fun of ivy league schools, hypercompetitive parents, adcoms and this whole crazy process. Then, you could send a tape to admissions.</p>

<p>Andi,
trying to catch up on your saga - just noted the Tanglewood acceptance! That's great - my nephew (sophomore at CIM) didn't make the cut on that one. </p>

<p>I don't know if this has been suggested, but many years ago one of my friends applied to Harvard (Radcliffe). Period. When she wasn't accepted, her mom called Case and they (basically) said, 'come on down.' Things are a bit more convoluted these days, but maybe a phone call to a couple of good (but not hyper-selective) schools might be worth a shot. One of the kids I was helping with essays applied very late and was accepted. With all the waitlist chaos going on, nobody's list is going to be finalized anyway.</p>

<p>Sugee, from NYU's website, Room and Board for next school year: $11,440 on campus, and $160 more for off campus.</p>

<p>Trouble is, Cooper students aren't going to be in NYU housing, which is an incredible deal for NYC. Still, with the free tuition, most parents aren't complaining.</p>

<p>Andi-</p>

<p>Back to the tape issue - I tend to think that to the extent it lends credence to verbally expressed passion for music, isubmission of a recording really can be helpful. D is very accomplished (but surely not professional). Many of her ecs involved music. The cd demonstrated a talent level worthy of the time invested. Music director at Amherst sent her a letter mid-winter to tell her how much he enjoyed her tape, enthuse about the music program and inform her that he was going to make a plug for her with admissions. She actually was waitlisted in the end so the cd would never be enough on its own, but I have to conclude that it was a positive and influencing factor. </p>

<p>She is now happily at another school, an ivy (but not H or Y) at which I believe her cd also worked in her favor. She is involved with music ensembles and her instrument is one of which there is currently a surfeit of talent, so I don't believe it was simply a case of filling an existing gap. And I do not believe the cd was the ultimate deciding factor in her admission - but very possibly it was one of many factors.</p>

<p>I am new to this lengthy thread so it may be that you have already concluded that sending in a tape as supplemental material is definitely part of the "waitlist" plan. I assume it is. To the extent that this post is redundant then, consider it a little bit encouraging. </p>

<p>To future applicants, as Northstarmom has pointed out, sending in that kind of supplemental material is risky - it had better be at least very good or it could actually hurt - but if you can get some fairly impartial evaluation that deems it to demonstrate true accomplishment (and not necessarily Julliard standard), for those schools who state that they accept supplemental materials, it can help, especially if other portions of your application show a sincere interest in and extensive involvement with music.</p>

<p>FYI </p>

<p>current Brown Alumni Monthly has a whole section on students who are passionate about music at Brown-- some music majors, some future conservatory aspirants, and some studying completely different things...</p>

<p>Andi, don't give up on this year application yet. I addressed the tape issue in Swarthmore "waitlisted" thread. I think your son will have a very good chance of getting off the waitlist if he patches the few holes he had in his application.</p>

<p>Wow. I have looked at this site for over a year now - trying how to gauge helping my son and at the same allowing him the freedom to make choices for himself. We are in San Diego - he wanted to go back east - we made him apply to UC... re was rejected by Columbia, he got into four UC's including Berkeley...NYU, Drexel (with a free ride) Clark (free ride), Boston U, Hofstra (honors college and free ride), and Brandeis..NO MONEY and guess where he is going..BRANDEIS! We are not in financial need but I have already signed up son #2 for SAT II and in a year he will be applying to colege.<br>
I am so sorry for those of you who have seen your children go through the pain of rejection - my son chose schools that were about the school, location, ratio of student to professor, film program and writing program...he did not care about the Ivy schools, even though his GC wanted him to apply to Brown.<br>
From what I can tell, this year was packed with many students who had great stats and were great kids...but many looked the same to admissions officers. The students who stood out, their essay, their community service, their heart and soul were equally as important to their "stats" and the SAT I did not count as much as SAT II scores.<br>
I wish all of you good luck. Just because someone gets into a IVY or prestige school, does not mean they are "pretitious" it just means they got into an IVY. An "A" is about an "A" and we all know many "A" students or 1550 SAT I students who might rate an "F" in life!
Good luck to all our children.</p>

<p>Ajalshark,</p>

<p>Thank you for your views.</p>

<p>Regarding the SAT 1 scores, I am not so sure. I think it's importance might have varied from HS to HS. For instance, S's school is not a regular feeder school to the ivies - 1-2 get into an ivy every year. This year, the top 10% rankers, except 1, all had SAT 1 scores in the 1400s, and there were 8-9 800s, in some SAT 2 or SAT 1 Math. The one person with the high 1500s score was who that got into a couple of ivies and waitlisted at a couple, although some others from that top 10% group had comparitively better ECs and academic awards. I think that maybe this is a signal sent by the ivies to this HS to get their SAT 1 scores up.</p>