We're picking up the pieces, but what went wrong?

<p>If the paid volunteer experience abroad makes sense in the context of the student's overall interests, then it can be an asset to an application. For example, if a student builds houses overseas, starts a housing program in his or her town, and lobbies the state legislature for more affordable housing or wants to be an architect, then it makes sense. If it's just a random, one-time thing, then I agree it is well worth doing for the experience and may be very appropriate in the student's life journey at that moment. It's not always easy to tell if a particular activity is going to turn out to be random or somehow will inspire the student to take another step.</p>

<p>If your son decides to look into St. John's College, I know that a student violinist who went there commuted to Baltimore once a week to take lessons at Johns Hopkins Peabody Conservatory. Maybe that would be a possible option for your son.</p>

<p>Achat,</p>

<p>Thank you. It is great that S liked Cooper very much. We had told him that if he did not like it that was fine. He could go to Rutgers if he wanted. (We still have not heard from U-Delaware). We had also told him that he could take a year off, work with an NGO in India, and apply afresh to colleges next year, by which time might have our greencard, so he could apply as a domestic. But it looks like he likes Cooper very much now. I have recounted our observations of the Cooper Open House in the Cooper Union thread.</p>

<p>The Barrett's (sp?) honors college in Arizona merits a serious look. It was started by an Ivy dean who wants to build a name for the program fast.</p>

<p>We heard from U-delaware yesterday. S has been admitted to the Honors programme with a decent merit scholarship. </p>

<p>All in all, I think this has been a happy experience for us at the end of the day. Of the 10 colleges applied, we have 4 financially and academically viable acceptances - Rutgers Honors, U-Del Honors, Drexel and Cooper. In summary, out of the 6 reaches and 4 matches applied, S was accepted into 1 reach (Cooper) and 3 matches (Rutgers, Drexel and U-Delaware). Being International, we considered no option a safety since scholarships was also a requirement. The only safety we had was the local community college (which is pretty good) from where he could transfer to Rutgers after 2 years. The other safety of course was taking the year off. </p>

<p>I received some very solid advice here when we first started working on the college list. I was made to understand that a judicious selection of colleges was as important as all the hard work that the student puts in throughout high school. All of you have a share in this, folks. Bless you all.</p>

<p>Sugee-</p>

<p>That's great news! Your S has 4 wonderful options from which to choose. Does this latest news change his outlook on Cooper?</p>

<p>Momsdream,</p>

<p>Thank you. I think S is pretty firm on Cooper, more so since attending the Open house. The latest news made him happy, but he says he will stick with Cooper. If Cooper acceptance was not there, he would have very seriously considered U-del I think. We are all set to send in our acceptance to Cooper, and let the others know that we are declining.</p>

<p>Sugee, congrats again!! Terrific school and great deal!! Plus NYC!!</p>

<p>congrats to kayo!</p>

<p>15 pages into this post, and it hits me that my teenageness might have something useful to add. I received a letter a few days ago from the University of Florida, saying that UF "guarantees a univerisity-sponsored scholarship for all Merit Finalists who name UF as their college of first choice. Finalists receive $9,500 each year for four years, in addition to a one-time $2,000 stipend available for undergraduate research, study abroad, academic or career-related programs. The non-resident fee is also waived for all Finalists, making this scholarship package worth more than $88,000!"</p>

<p>It then talks about the UF University Scholars Program and that program's 2.5k research stipend and .5k travel expenses stipend.</p>

<p>And it ends by talking about how Merit Semifinalists and above are exempt from application deadlines...</p>

<p>I was wondering if they confused me for a junior or something, but now I realize why they sent out that letter.</p>

<p>Dunno if that's helpful, or if I'm repeating someone, but there it is.</p>

<p>
[quote]
And it ends by talking about how Merit Semifinalists and above are exempt from application deadlines...

[/quote]
Good find,gphoenix. This could certainly brighten someone's day.</p>

<p>Achat and Astrix,
Thank you !</p>

<p>Astrix,
What is your decision ? Good luck to you whatever you decide.</p>

<p>"He's one of 12 National Merit Scholars from our very competitive suburban HS, and four of the other winners -his peers- have been accepted at Stanford, Harvard, MIT and Brown."</p>

<p>I'm in a similar situation. There were six National Merit Scholars from my high school. Four got into Harvard, one got into Northwestern, and I, the sixth, got rejected from five ivies, Georgetown and Stanford and waitlisted at UVA and U Chicago.</p>

<p>Oh, Flavius, how awful for you! Let us hope for you to get off the waitlists!</p>

<p>Flavius, did you have any other applications out there? Or do just have the two waitlist options to work with at the moment? What major are you considering?</p>

<p>FlaviusAetius</p>

<p>Oh nooo. Trust me, I really and truly know what you're going through. It's so difficult. At least it's almost May and the schools will soon know if they need people off the wait lists. I'm sure you've already done this, but if not, let them know that you're really interested in going to the schools and update them with anything you've been doing since you applied.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
andi</p>

<p>I believe Flavius has an admission at BU.</p>

<p>Oh, gee. That makes thing rather a bit better!</p>

<p>I think I am being redundant by mentioning yet another school that offers late Merit scholarships, but:</p>

<p>Arizona State University
-ASU National Merit Finalist Scholarship
-$21,500
-renewable for three years
-$86,000 over four years
-scholar recruitment office 480-965-3040</p>

<p>My [junior] son has vowed that he will report to his Middle School (which is obsessed with "where kids go") that he's going to DeVry Institute.</p>