We're picking up the pieces, but what went wrong?

<p>wow, hadn't realized the tuition at Edinburgh was so much. My sister, who lives over there, likely is only familiar with the tuition for Brits. Thanks for the heads up.
thanks again for the other advice as well, I'm eagerly reading all of it.</p>

<p>Andi--</p>

<p>What frustrating news on top of everything else. To my mind, however, it goes along with the idea that the many high-achieving kids in your son's high school are unfortunately competing with each other, so that every one who's admitted to a top school makes it that much more difficult for the rest. (My daughter's less competitive high school had four EA applicants to Yale last year, all with very similar stats but a different range of ECs. One, a recruited athlete, was admitted EA, and the rest deferred. My daughter was admitted RD and the other two were rejected, including the salutatorian, who ended up at Wesleyan, and a boy who was the only student from the school admitted to Harvard. While a strong case could clearly have been made for admitting each of them to Yale, it was just as clear that Yale wasn't prepared to take all four from the same school.)</p>

<p>Your son's GC might be able to shed some light on the why this girl was admitted when your son wasn't--but as at least one poster suggested, I can't tell if the GC is part of the solution or part of the problem.</p>

<p>I would be careful of adding new schools at this late point (unless they are schools that actually are still taking applications, like rolling admissions schools) - I think there is a listing of schools that accept applications as late as the summer, maybe someone knows of this? Several posters have recommended schools that weren't on your son's original list as maybe being eager to have such a talented musician, but don't you think schools where he would be a 'catch' would assume he'd only stay there long enough to transfer? I think your efforts are better spent working on those wait lists, unless you can find suitable schools with rolling admissions. I really think this is all a problem of not having applied to enough schools (if he'd applied to more 'match' or 'reach' schools, chances of getting one acceptance would have increased), and not having had the right mix (safeties). It sounds like you have new material (the CD) that you can highlight on letters asking to stay on waitlists.</p>

<p>hi editrix, we'll definitely have to have a heart -to- heart with the gc on Monday.<br>
I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks again.
andi</p>

<p>" but don't you think schools where he would be a 'catch' would assume he'd only stay there long enough to transfer?"</p>

<p>There are students who went to colleges that they originally never dreamed of applying to, yet found that they were very happy and stayed.</p>

<p>It's also very difficult to transfer to places like Ivies because few students transfer out. For instance, Harvard plans to take in only 70 of 1,000 transfer applicants this year.</p>

<p>"Your son's GC might be able to shed some light on the why this girl was admitted when your son wasn't--but as at least one poster suggested, I can't tell if the GC is part of the solution or part of the problem."</p>

<p>I would be surprised if the GC commented on the other student, though the GC may have ideas about what hurt the OP's son.</p>

<p>Yeah....EU/Brit tuition is approximately 1/10th that amount. Board is the same....</p>

<p>Northstarmom--you're right, of course; the GC probably won't (and certainly shouldn't) comment on the applications of other students in the school. But I hope he or she will have some useful information and/or guidance to offer to Andi's son, even at this late stage. If not, that may be part of the reason the applications didn't turn out as hoped.</p>

<p>Andi,
By all means talk to the GC but have your son, not the GC, call the schools where he plans to stay on the wl. The person to person approach, especially for Swarthmore, will be most effective. Have your son learn everything there is to know about the place and let Jim Bock know how much he wants to attend if admitted off the wl. Follow the Swat threads. Visit again. Have son talk to profs in music and math depts. If sincere interest is demonstrated that son is good fit, he has a shot to get himself admitted. Your son will be his own best advocate at a small, highly personal place like Swat. Good luck.</p>

<p>I know there is an entire thread devoted to the topic of NOT asking why about a rejection, and everyone is telling you it is just a numbers game but if I were in your situation I would be compelled to contact some of those schools and ask them if there was a glaringly weak spot in the application. How can you not be paranoid with stats like that and results like that? (Sorry, I am not trying to feed your paranoia, but it just doesn't look right to me) A GC rec that somehow fell flat or inadvertantly raised a red flag? Yes, the most obvious/simple answer may be the right answer, ie that there is something in the app that is not right. Did you read all the essays?</p>

<p>Andi, I'm very sorry to hear your news; I know it must have come as a shock. I am thinking your son has an excellent shot at Swarthmore and the others where he is on the wl. My sense is not that there is anything wrong with him -- far from it! -- but that the adcom folks may need just a stronger sense of who he is in order to feel inspired to admit him. They see great stats and even kids with musical talent every day. Take a look at the excellent book by the former Harvard adcom Chuck Hughes. It's called What It Really Takes to Get Into Ivy League and Other Highly Selective Colleges. It really focuses on the fine point of admission to the toughest schools and offers excellent and very specific suggestions for students strong in both academics and the arts in terms of how to present themselves. It's not too late. I'm optimistic. Good luck.</p>

<p>andi, </p>

<p>My heart goes out to you! Good ideas have been given as to how to have done it differently... but as to the next move:</p>

<p>One thing not mentioned so far as a possible app-killer: did he ever have a disciplinary problem/ suspension? I have heard of cases where this really killed an app of an otherwise stellar kid. I would go over that app with a fine tooth comb and see how anything in the transcript, recs, essays might have come off wrong. This is a remote possibility because WL really indicates a perfectly qualified applicant.</p>

<p>A weird thing too: one of my friend's sons <em>happened to look</em> at the school transcript that he was about to mail-- and it was the wrong kids' transcript!! So it may be that there was an error made. If something weird like this happened, you might be able to appeal a decision, even a rejection. </p>

<p>Many of my other ideas have been mentioned-- I think Lawrence would be an excellent place to try. And maybe other merit-aid, "rising" schools--say, Grinnell, Vanderbilt-- that want high-stats kids? I don't know which ones might make room but some might. The NMS/honors college idea is great too. There was an article from the Atlantic Monthly on "late admissions" -- this very problem-- that may have info.</p>

<p>A good educational consultant might also help here, especially if the GC is a possible part of the problem. </p>

<p>I interview for Brown and know of one student who was rejected. She took a gap year in Denmark and reapplied... Accepted. Graduates this spring.</p>

<p>There are many options here. What I would do would be get a big list of them together: work, travel, school-- WL school, new school, foriegn school, Prep school... Ask your son what appeals most to him and go from there</p>

<p>I also agree 100% with the personal contact at Swat. POUR it on. He needs to be the person they know best and get connected to. If one kid is in off WL it needs to be HIM. Can you get any teachers who love him to write second letters on his behalf? I second all the other ideas about playing up the music performance etc. </p>

<p>You will find several options for a great year!!</p>

<p>"If one kid is in off WL it needs to be HIM."</p>

<p>Well said, SBmom. This is a truly exceptional kid.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If one kid is in off WL it needs to be HIM.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Again, well said, SBmom. I agree with editrix~He IS a truly exceptional kid!</p>

<p>~b.</p>

<p>Andi, I don't think anything within your control went wrong. This was simply the luck of the draw. Period. It's not all that different from giving birth to a child with a cleft palate. Everyone else is relieved that their children do not have your misfortune, and nothing could have prevented it.</p>

<p>It sounds like you have good practical advice from many posters about where to go from here. I do want to share one story about a similar situation though. </p>

<p>A few years ago a boy at our high school had the same thing happen. Our school almost always sees at least one or two of its 15 - 20 seniors go to an Ivy or other elite college. This boy had everything going for him - top grades, strong test scores, all state sports, and active and financially generous Ivy alumn parents. </p>

<p>At our school we operate under the premise that everyone wants the kids to attend the best colleges that they possibly can (parents think Harvard), and our counselor steers us towards appropriate choices (rarely Harvard).</p>

<p>This particular kid was steered towards all the Ivy's though, Stanford, Williams, Amherst, and a few others. He seemed to be a strong match and he thought he would get into at least one of his top picks. But he was rejected by every single school. Not even waitlisted. It was a humiliating experience for him, and it was horrible to witness. The kid was just shattered. His parents were beside themselves. His only safety was our state university.</p>

<p>I am not sure who did what, or whether a string was pulled, but this kid was granted permission to apply late to a small liberal arts college, and he got in. It wasn't Harvard or Williams, but the kid seemed happier with that choice than with our State U.</p>

<p>Now this kid is a senior at the same LAC. He never transferred out. His parents say that he is as happy as they have ever seen him. He is a big man on a small campus. He is active in several student organizations, is well liked by his professors, and has sky high grades. He is also in the process of applying to medical schools.</p>

<p>His parents have taken a different view about his college rejections. They say their son knows firsthand that the rug can be pulled out from under him at any moment. And they say (with a great deal of pride), that he knows how to get up, regroup, and get on with life. </p>

<p>There may be a silver lining to this black cloud.</p>

<p>I'm late coming to this thread, but, if it's any consolation, I have it on pretty good authority that kids from New York City "got slaughtered" this year in elite college admissions. The headmaster at one private school in Manhattan said, just the other day, that statistically speaking, it is now just as hard for a New York City kid to get into Wesleyan as it is for them to get into Yale. My suspicion is that the same is true for other big cities in the East.</p>

<p>I totally disagree that this was the luck of the draw. Something went wrong. I go to a school that places more than 65% at top colleges. While it's sure tough, all the top stats kids got into a top college. We are taught to consider all of the variables. What can derail a top applicant? Sloppy applications, mediocre recommendations and bad interviews are the top three.</p>

<p>Andi, what a shattering experience for you and your son! You’ve received a mountain of good advice so I just want to add a couple of thoughts. I think you should galvanize your family energy for a three pronged assault.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Try to get off the waitlists at all three Oberlin, Swarthmore and WUSTL
I agree that it would be best to circumvent the GC. (I think Mini is absolutely right. Where was this guy [the GC] when you needed him?) Your son should make an impassioned appeal directly to the schools. Basically, he has nothing to lose. Dave Berry who manages this board is an excellent source for waitlist advice. The waitlists don’t start to open up until early April so you have some time to strategize.</p></li>
<li><p>Apply to Edinburgh
The children of my employer both study at Edinburgh. They’re uppercrust Brits (top public schools and Scottish heritage) so their case may not be parallel, but they’re basically nice kids and really happy there both with the school and the city. One’s in IR, one in theater.</p></li>
<li><p>Consider a gap year
This is tricky for US students because since by the time they apply to colleges in December they’ve only had a gap half-year. Thus, they need to concentrate on the “resume building” activities at the front end of their gap.
Another caveat about Gap years is that they tend to be pricy. Make sure you can budget for the travel or courses.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I would think that your son's musical talent and language aptitude would segue smoothly into an opportunity for study abroad, volunteer work, or independent study. E.g., how about a Shostakovich pilgrimage in Russia? </p>

<p>3A. Learn from this experience
This only applies if he decides to re-apply next year; otherwise, there’s no point in agonizing over what you might have done better. However, if he IS in the position to send out fresh applications to a new list of schools, he’ll have the opportunity and wisdom to do better next time.</p>

<p>a lot of what momrath said up there made perfect sense</p>

<p>if you do decide to take a gap year ( which is what I would do under the circumstances) I would contact reputable charities/volunteering organizations like Concordia international or the Peace Corps. Also, if your teen is 18 he can apply for an internship at a US Embassy abroad(this might be a good idea to apply for the one in Russia!) I know, because I contacted my congressman(who is very powerful, chairman of the rules commitee) and asked him to write a letter to the state department in my regard. A week later I got a response saying that they welcome my efforts and my enthusiasm to intern at the US Embassy in Armenia but unfortunately they couldnt offer me an internship because minors can't get security clearances! </p>

<p>Then ,I found a husband and wife group who wanted to start a program teaching nurses in armenia english. I brought myself to their attention and they started off the inaugural year of that program. I taught at a college in armenia(does this make me a visiting prof.... lol) and really got a lot out of it.</p>

<p>I would suggest a gap year with the aforementioned activities in foreign countries. Its all about the initiative taken! </p>

<p>Ironically enough, the couple for whom I started off the program got me a immunopathology research internship at UCLA. Make connections because you never know where they will lead you!</p>

<p>I'm sure a rec from the US ambassador to Russia or wherever would carry a lot of weight in college admissions!</p>

<p>I just wanted to put in that I have a good friend who is studing science at Edinburgh, and she's having a great time there! The academics are excellent, and the city is wonderful. Definately explore that option. The gap year sounds good, too.</p>

<p>Thank you all again and again for all of your responses. There have been so many useful comments. Interesteddad made some good suggestions for me on the Swat thread also. S and I chatted about things late last night while walking our dog in a downpour. He's inclined at this point to pursure his wait-list status. Although he thinks the Edinburgh idea sounds exciting, he really wants to study a liberal arts curriculum and the Brit system is very specialized. Also, he doesn't want to stop studying piano for a year, which would likely happen if he went to do volunteer work in far off lands. So I think the first step will be to try to reverse the wait- list position. </p>

<p>I'm also going to investigate the possibility of any errors in the materials sent to the schools. The GC said that she didn't think that either teacher would have given him a bad rec because as she put it, he's "well loved" at school. It did surprise me that she didn't seem to have read them. So I'll call her again tomorrow and pursue this further. </p>

<p>SBMom, he's definitely never been in trouble. He's just a hardworking studious kid, loves school and has lots of great friends. His teaches appreciate having him in class because he always participates and has a great sense of humor.</p>

<p>If anyone wants to read interesteddads remarks they're on the Swat thread on an existing topic, which I believe is 'wait list'
andi</p>