What are my chances of getting into Texas A&M or A&M Galveston

Hello, I am currently a senior in high school. I have been a die hard Texas A&M fan since I was young. Both of my parents there and on my dads side many generations graduated from TAMU. I go to a extremely competitive high school. I have made some mistakes in my high school life and got lazy my freshman and sophomore years. I have been fighting a uphill battle since then but now I feel like I am more focused than ever. I am taking 2 AP/ DC courses this year and 2 other upper level courses. I am currently in the second quartile in my class (26%-49%). My sat is not good as it is a 1070 but I recently took another one and I believe I scored in the 1200s or low 1300s. I have been a cross country and track athlete my all four years of high school. I work for a construction company. I was part of ACL(alpha charity league) early in my high school years. I have gotten numerous awards for my running. My gpa is. 3.1 unweighted and a 3.4-3.5 weighted so basically a mostly B average with a few A’s at my school. What are my chances of getting into A&M university for fall 2020? I know I am not automatic but I have heard a few of my friends getting into A&M from my high school alone with the stats I have. If I don’t get in I will defidently he transferring there after a year of college elsewhere. If I don’t get straight in what are my chances of BLINN TEAM? Or A&M Galveston?

You might have a reasonable shot getting into A&M, but keep in mind that getting into the school is only half the battle. If you want to major in something like business, engineering, or computers, it’s going to be a lot more competitive. Students in those majors are almost all picked out of high school. This makes trying to get in from the outside near impossible even if you have top grades.

Don’t focus so much on the school. Consider what your interests are and pick a school with flexibility. Most students change their major at least once before deciding on something to study.

@harrisonc133 Your chances are extremely slim, my friend, even for Blinn Team assuming we are going off the past few years of admissions. It’s only gotten harder/more competitive, but until we start seeing the first group of review admits get in, we won’t really know for sure how this cycle will go. Blinn Team is also very competitive.

Assuming you don’t want engineering but want TAMU Galveston, you’ll apply to that separately. You have a good shot at getting in there. Once you complete the required amount of hours for your intended major for change of major, you can apply to a major on CSTAT campus and move up here. Many students start that way and I’d say a strong amount end up staying in Galveston because they love it.

Definitely have a back up school outside of TAMU. There are sooo many great schools here in Texas. Best of luck and please keep us posted!!! Always remember that it doesn’t matter where you start, but where you finish!!!

@AggieMomhelp thank you for the help. I am looking at other schools including Arkansas and Tech. But I know eventually want to transfer to be an Aggie and for the Aggie ring because of the connections you get from it. Do TAMU G students get a Aggie ring?

Yes. Galveston students get the same Aggie ring. And they have access to games etc. it’s a great school, just smaller but with a beach!

@harrisonc133 Galveston is an admissions decision only for engineering applicants. If you want to attend A&M Galveston, you would apply to that school on it’s own instead of the College Station campus. Some apply to both campuses and have Galveston as their back up school.
You would need to pay close attention to the major requirements for the one you want in College Station as some majors have maximum cap on hours in order to enter the major.
It is something definitely to look into and check out what major you would apply to in Galveston, if you were to go that direction. Also, if you are close to McAllen, that is another branch campus that gets an Aggie Ring and they offer many majors there as well.

Since full admission to College Station as a freshman might be very lean, it would be a good idea to start checking out Galveston.