What are my chances of honors college/scholarships?

<p>Junior from Arizona (Phoenix area)
I’m pretty sure that I’ll get in, I just want an idea of whether or not I should expect scholarships or Honors College or anything.</p>

<p>Current unweighted GPA: 3.3
Current weighted GPA: 3.8
By the time I graduate, I will have taken 7 AP courses and 6 honors courses.
My school doesn’t rank. Or maybe they just don’t tell us until senior year.
First Generation College Student
Multiracial (Hispanic/White)
Jewish</p>

<p>Test Scores:
Just took my SAT today, but on the practice I got about 1880. I took a prep course so I’m hoping for 2000.
I’m also taking my ACT in February. I got a 29 on the practice, I’m hoping for a 30.</p>

<p>Religious Extracurriculars:
Junior year-President of Temple Chai Temple Youth (TCTY, a Jewish youth group)
Sophomore Year-Programming Vice President of TCTY
Senior year-I will most likely be Regional President of the Southwest Region of the National Federation of Temple Youth (NFTY-SW, a large affiliation made up of Jewish youth groups like TCTY from Arizona, Las Vegas, New Mexico, and Texas)
All years-Hebrew High School Student (attend two hours of class every week on topics such as Israel, the Holocaust, etc. Students who complete Hebrew High School receive a special diploma upon graduation)
Six years of Jewish summer camp, including two summers of LTP (Leadership Training Program)
Sophomore year-Youth Endowment Board (the board is given a sum of money and is in charge of determing which charities to distribute the money to)</p>

<p>Athletic Extracurriculars:
Four years of school softball (1 year Freshman, 2 years JV, 1 year Varsity)
Three years of club softball
One year of school basketball</p>

<p>Musical Extracurriculars:
Piano lessons for 10 years
Taught myself guitar (I am also a songleader in NFTY-SW)</p>

<p>Work Experience:
Temple Chai (Tutor, Administrative Assistant) September 2006-May 2007, July 2009-October 2009 (seasonal position)
Safeway (Grocery Store, Courtesy Clerk) June 2007-August 2008
Starbucks (Barista) June 2009-October 2009 (going back to work after this semester and planning to work all senior year)
Camp Charles Pearlstein (Camp Counselor) June 2010-August 2010</p>

<p>School Clubs/Societies:
National Honors Society-Junior/Senior
Society of Women’s Scholars-Junior/Senior
Spanish Honorary Club-Sophomore/Junior/Senior
(may run for an officer of one or two of these clubs for senior year)
65 Roses Club (Cystic Fibrosis)-All years
Founder of Camp Swift Club (explained below)</p>

<p>Community Service:
Camp Swift (about 1500 hours)-Camp Swift is a summer camp for underprivileged inner-city children from the Phoenix area. The camp is planned and run by Jewish teenagers who volunteer their time not only during the summer, but throughout the year to plan camp and raise money. (These hours include 12 sessions of camp plus planning and fundraising throughout all four years)
I have participated in other community service projects including playing the piano for retirement home residents, assembling toiletry baskets for Hurricane Katrina victims, volunteering at food banks and homeless shelters, and American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. These other activities add up to roughly 200 hours total.</p>

<p>Other Important (or maybe not important?) Factors:
-I will be paying for my own college/graduate school
-My cousin is my legal guardian. My mother died when I was seven and I don’t know who my father is. I’m hoping I can use my experiences to write some compelling essays. Also, if you know of any scholarships for adopted, single-parent children, etc., that would be great!</p>

<p>I’d like to go to medical school eventually, but I don’t necessarily want to major in science. I was looking into maybe Creative Writing, Physiology, or Finance.</p>

<p>I know this was really long. Thanks so much for your input!</p>

<p>I’m about 95% sure you’d get into the Honors College. (Make sure to write that essay – sounds like you’d have some great stuff to say, anyway. I’m so sorry to hear about your life story.) The only reason I don’t add that extra 5% is because sometimes they surprise you: I’ve met kids who were awful in high school who got in, and some students who were 4.0 students in clubs who were rejected. You seem like a great match – a lot of it is based on test scores and national awards, but they really love diversity in Honors. I’d also expect one of the higher Wildcat Excellence awards for you, depending on financial need. (If you’re paying for it yourself, you’ll probably get their top amount.) I can’t remember what it was raised to this year, but last time I checked, it was around $8000 a year. (I wouldn’t live on-campus if you’re hoping to cover most costs with merit aid, though, unless you’re getting another scholarship from somewhere else. Our dorms are between $6-$7.5k or something like that.)</p>

<p>Thank you so much for your help! Wow, $8000 per year is a lot of money for an in-state resident’s expenses! I’ll definitely give my essay everything I’ve got. Good luck to you! :)</p>

<p>FF -</p>

<p>I’d guess you would be a slam dunk for merit $$$ and also honors.
U of A has a strong, but little-known creative writing department. Strong biz school too for your interest in finance.</p>

<p>Good luck!
dd</p>

<p>Dudedad just reminded me – the UA page for university scholarships also has a ton of outside scholarships that they recommend applying to, so check those out. Also, check out the page for your major’s department since a LOT of majors offer scholarships with less competition.</p>

<p>Thanks so much! :)</p>

<p>update: 28 ACT, 1870 SAT (610 CR, 610 Math, 650 Writing)
:)</p>