What are the benefits to CBHP & IHP?

<p>sniner…I’m pretty sure that is ok…but you can always email Mrs. Batson and ask…</p>

<p>Jane Batson, Computer-Based Honors Program, <a href=“mailto:jbatson@bama.ua.edu”>jbatson@bama.ua.edu</a>, 205/348-5029, 348-5500</p>

<p>linnylu–sure thing! Will respond during my lunch break. :)</p>

<p>Can someone give a general description of what they do semester by semester in CBH?</p>

<p>I know they are doing Fortran this semester, D says it is SUPER easy so far, but I have heard from some that it is really tough course with a lot of prep time…when does that come?;)</p>

<p>Usually the first semester project that is due in Dec is demanding…so things will get more challenging as the semester goes on.</p>

<p>The quizzes sometimes are odd, but they don’t count for much.</p>

<p>Second semester is C++, I think. Again, a demanding project at the end.</p>

<p>Soph year and Junior year are the research years. You can work on a new project each semester or continue with a previous one. Student chooses his projects.</p>

<p>First semester you learn the basics about computers, the internet, and security. Plenty of reading about how all the hardware functions and about the latest threats in the computer world. You don’t actually start working on Fortran till later in the semester. The end project is designed in Fortran, and Darren will walk them through it initially. The second semester is C++, which is a much more difficult language since it is object oriented. So you learn how object oriented programming works, and then you learn the syntax and structure of C++. Once again, you have a final project at the end of the semester that will be complete in C++. </p>

<p>After fish year, you take a seminar class for four semesters and do research under a prof. You can chose from a list of submitted projects or go make your own. I did one semester on a submitted project, then I jumped since things were not working well. My thermo prof wanted me to work for him so I did. With any luck, I’ll stick with this project until it’s either completed or I graduate. I intend to keep working on it even after my CBH requirements are fulfilled.</p>

<p>That’s cool Mesquite! Thanks for posting. It sounds like you have been happy you are a part of the CBH program?</p>

<p>Oh I could write pages about how much I love CBH. Like seriously, I had a huge long thing written for this thread a while ago, but I decided most of it was rambling on and on. It can basically be summed up as AWESOMENESS. The program and the people are fantastic. I’m not saying I love every CBHer I’ve ever met, but I have made some of my best friends among my CBH fish class. Plus the opportunities are amazing. I could go on, but most probably wouldn’t be interested in an essay praising CBH. </p>

<p>Side note, ROLL TIDE today bout Penn State!! Wish the game had been a little more interesting though, I was expecting a bit more from Penn State. I’m also jealous of all my friends who made the drive. Looked like an awesome place to be!</p>