What are your thoughts on using the "n word"?

I will say this.

Just because a black person want to say the n-word doesn’t mean they’re ignorant. But even if they are ignorant, you’re not a better person.

It’s fine if you don’t want to be call the n-word, but you’re not a better person.

It’s fine if we all have different values. And as long as none of those values include crime against a person or against property. You’re not a better person for having different values.

You’re not a better person just because you speak “proper English”.

You’re not a better person just because you have a higher education.

You’re not a better person just because you have a higher income.

You’re not a better person just because you don’t listen to rap music.

You’re not a better person just because you choose not to wear weaves.

You’re not a better person just because white people like you more.

IDC what enthicity/race you are, Y’all needa get over y’all superiority complexes.

Getting into a discussion of the values that hold a society together is getting off topic. If this is something you really want to discuss, by all means start a new thread. Otherwise, you got the last word.

@BeStillMyHeart‌ thank you. I agree with everything you said.

It is a disgusting word, and nobody should use it. I lived in the county in GA where there was a billboard in the 1990’'s that said “N, don’t let the sun shine on your black a** in Forsyth county”. This was a billboard for Christ’s sakes. there is no reason to ever use that word, no matter what color your skin is.

@GA2012MOM‌ did u live in a sundown town type area? And I agree that it’s a disgusting word but I dont believe in censoring people. We can’t decide on ourselves that a word is bad and we shouldn’t use it just because we don’t like something,you know. I think it’s just important to know to be careful for what you say and to realize it may offend someone or may be wrong. and even though there is freedom of speech that only protects you from going to jail, it doesn’t protect you from backlash. Freedom of speech. Freedom of consequence.

Don’t really care

@Te4mVygrin‌ nice input. Lol. I like your username.

This thread has really taken on a life of its own and in a way has hit the nail on the head.

The N-word is divisive. It’s a word that distinguishes American blacks folks who are different from other American blacks in terms of income class, neighborhoods, education, speech, dress and culture.

This culture divide separates those who use the word from those who refuse it.

It’s like choosing between MLK and the peaceful protestors or the Black Panthers, take up arms and prepare to fight movement. It separates urban, gang, rebel culture from middle and upper class black culture. One values the struggle against authority, society and glorifies the fight while the other values education, economic progress and assimilation with the greater culture.

Those who use the word keep saying don’t look down upon them. That is interesting. As someone who doesn’t use the word, I feel those who do are looking down upon themselves. By saying forget about that word and to eradicate it from your life, I’m saying stand up and look all men in the eye as your equal. The other side says, don’t look down your nose at me. I say get up off your knees and I wouldn’t have to look down my knows.

This is an interesting thesis. I have not realized this take on the word before now. I grew up in the hood. I fought a lot. Did a lot. Ran from police a lot and got caught too. I hurt people in the process. I never joined a gang, I was a loner. I fought gang bangers, I was a mean, angry, aggressive youth. I was ripped, strong, fast and smart - people knew not to mess with me because I would wait, come back 6 months later and get you all alone, in a dark spot and have a bat. Then, I joined the Army and had a legitimate channel for my meanness until I it was gone. Before that, I used the N-word. After, I saw it as demeaning and dehumanizing. I saw black people as an uplifted, worthy and amazing people - a people who survived slavery and conquerors of segregation and discrimination. I feel the 3rd battleground is the battle for our own hearts and minds. To value truth, education and progress - to move forward without the chains of slavery and the encumbrance of Jim Crow. And that means conquering self doubt and self denigration. Hence, my rise above the word but it was never a rise above people. I’ll bend down to pick someone up but I’ll never stoop down and stay down just to liked or appreciated or viewed a certain way. Those are the respectability politics lovers.

Remember that the N-Word ultimately derives from Latin, meaning quite simply, Black. From the beginning, the word was used negatively because the people using it where White imperialists who saw Africans as property to be owned, sub-human animals to be degraded. The word has been mostly negative, but remember that it ultimately comes from the Latin, and literally means “Black”. Every other social and cultural definition of the word was given to the word by people using it negatively.

Why does this matter? Because it is a fundamental principle of linguistics that words change depending on the context and intent of the speaker. If I’m hungry and ask my Mom for some saltine crackers, completely harmless. If I refer to White people as such, it is a racial epithet. The meaning of words vary. Look up any word in a reputable dictionary, and you will find tons of meanings. It is pretty ridiculous to argue that whenever I use a word, I use every single nuanced definition of that word.

So yes, the N-Word does have negative nuanced definitions depending on the context of the content and intent of the speaker. But it also has positive, nuanced definitions. Among African-American friends, it’s use connotates camaraderie, friendship, brotherhood, etc. I think to claim that Black friends who call each other the N-Word endearingly are in the same class as slave owners is not only offensive, but is stupid.

A word about reclamation. I think its really interesting that a lot of people are against reclamation of words by minority communities (Black people), but not White people. Fundamentally, reclamation is the process of a group taking a negative word and giving it newer, positive contexts. When Black teenagers use the N-Word, for instance, they are adding a new positive definition to a word that, as I mentioned early, was originally a neutral descriptive term. Therefore, White people who use the N-Word are also appropriating it, from a neutral term to a negative term. To argue that this is legitimate, but not the other way around, is to argue that White people’s branding of certain words is more legitimate than the minority communities (i.e. When White people use the N-Word negatively, it becomes irredeemably negative).

Finally though, remember that Black people are not a monolithic group. Anybody who says they have the answer for all Black people is inherently suspect to me, because not all Black people seek the same answer. I do not personally use the N-Word, but it is not my business what other Black people do.

Kudos to the people who brought up respectability politics. If you think Lil Wayne or Black teenagers using the N-Word is why America regards them as dangerous, violent, and repulsive, you need to think again.

I think it’s fine to call a good friend my ngga, it’s part of black culture. If a close white friend call me a ngga, that’s just him saying i’m a bro.

However, there is really no excuse to say n*gger. The only time that’d be used is if someone is purposely trying to be offensive. I really don’t see any other reason a white person would wanna use that word…