What exactly does premajor/upper division mean? (Transfer Student)

<p>Sorry if I sound a bit dense, but I’m transferring to one of the UCs next year (probably UCSB), and I’m trying to figure out what subjects I have to do over there. The only thing is that I don’t have a clue what I should be looking at. Is pre-majr the first 2 years in college and upper division the last 2?</p>

<p>Also, how many units do you have to do in a year?</p>

<p>Usually, you need 150-180 credits to graduate, so I guess divide by 4, but, aside from a minimum required number of credits per quarter you have to take, there's no required number of credits per year (although if you really do want to spend another year in school...)</p>

<p>The pre-major is just the preparation courses for the major. Depending on your major and what you have done already, you might have already met the premajor requirements at your current school. Go to ASSIST.org and see if you have done all the preparation work for your major.</p>

<p>Upper division within the UC is any course with a 100-199 (or maybe 299?)course number. Most majors require that you take a certain number of UD units within the major to graduate.</p>

<p>Since you're transferring, keep in mind that you need 60 semester units to transfer to most UC's (not including Merced). In case of UCSB, I say you're in luck. Ask your counselor if they have the TAG application for UCSB.</p>

<p>In case you don't know, TAG = Transfer Admissions Guarantee. All you have to do is follow their class requirements that is fitted to your CC. Then you can transfer with a GPA as low as 2.8 (keep in mind that your GPA is carried over to the UC you go to). </p>

<p>In order to make sure that you don't have to go to summer school while you're at a UC, I suggest you leave your CC with 63 to 66 semester units, at least. Ensuring that when you go to a UC, you only need to take 3 classes a quarter, keeping your schedule light and easy.</p>

<p>btw...ur gpa is not carried over to the UC
the only time it is is when you transfer from UC to UC</p>

<p>i've heard about this. thanks for the correction.</p>