What extracurriculars and activities do you recommend for me to do in high school?

I’m currently an 8th grader who would like more info on what extracurriculars and things outside of school I should do to increase my chances of getting in to an ivy for premed.

I’m female
Hispanic
1st gen to go to college in US
Private catholic school student
4.0 gpa
Ranking : 3/about 200 (#1 female at my school)

Extracurriculars:
Science Olympiad - I play a big role in the team and the teacher gave me 6 events this season
Health Science Club - HS club that discusses careers in health and has speakers regularly
CROSS - Christian service club (food drives, prayer, etc.)
SALT - volunteer club at school, we work school fundraisers, dinners, and reunions.

I also play clarinet (part of school band) and piano (Nyssma level 5 rn)
I excel in art and plan on taking the advanced class senior year.

Awards:
Won math olympiads at my school 3 years in a row (got a 24 once)
Was accepted into the ICPS program (1st at my school)
Always medal at science Olympiad (got to states this year)
Was nominated for NJHS scholarship
Have had art in various expositions on Long Island
Presidential Gold award
Perfect score on national Latin exam (I believe I might get another perfect score this year)

In high school I was thinking of joining speech and debate or mock trial (both are very good teams at my school). I also plan on taking the most advanced course available and continuing with Latin through high school and learning French outside of school (already speak Spanish fluently). I would like to know suggestions for what other extracurriculars I should do in and outside of school as well as what universities could be good reach, match, and safety schools.

(BTW for LOR the principle of my school, which is a middle school and high school, would write one. He likes me and he’s done it for other applications so I wouldn’t be surprised.)

Blockquote

reunions.

I am super impressed that you’ll be a first gen to college (at least here in the U.S.) and that you’re already thinking about what you need to do in high school to accomplish your goals. You are definitely thinking ahead!

With that said, there’s no need to think that far ahead right now. What I mean by that is, you’re already planning on taking the most rigorous classes at your school, so you’ve got that box checked off. Next, read this blog post from an MIT admissions officer: Applying Sideways | MIT Admissions. Basically, the gist of it is to do what interests you and to do it well. That will make you more interesting to colleges, but if you don’t get accepted to the school(s) you’re hoping for, then you won’t have wasted any time because you were doing what you were interested in doing anyway.

Colleges tend to prefer to see greater depth (i.e. rather than joining 10 different clubs, join fewer but be more active in them and show an impact of your contributions…increasing membership, volunteer hours, fundraising, leadership roles, etc). Also, find ways to contribute to your community. This does not mean starting a nonprofit. But also find a way to help others (tutoring, playing music at nursing homes, etc).

If you’re continuing Latin in high school, can you also take French there? Also, do you have any interest in learning French or are you only doing it because you think it will make you a stronger applicant? If the latter, don’t bother.

Avoid having a “dream” college or a group of “dream” colleges (i.e. Ivy League). Lots of factors between now and May 1 of your senior year (which is usually the deadline to enroll in a college for the next school year). Changes in income, interests, competitiveness, etc. Just focus on doing your best for yourself academically and for your health (physical & mental…which frequently includes your preferred ways of being social), and you will end up at the right place in the end. With you being so proactive already, I see a bright future for you.

7 Likes

No activity is “better” than any other. Do whatever interests/excites you and work towards making meaningful contributions.

And it is WAY too early to start targeting any specific colleges or groups of colleges.

Congrats on your accomplishments thus far.

6 Likes

Regarding the ECs - also think about what will make you a well rounded person. It is natural to let’s say think that you want to be an engineer and load all your ECs to be engineering-centered. Then you change your mind… or you don’t realize that you need to learn other things too.

Find things that you enjoy and make you a well rounded person. Ask your teachers for suggestions, ask your friends and also try to think about it yourself: what do you think you can or need or want to improve.

Thank you so much for sharing the info. I’ll definitely look into the MIT post. As for learning French, it’s definitely something I want to do. My school offers French but I would probably need to drop a class or lunch to be able to take it. I’m currently learning it outside of school on my own but I’m going to see if they’ll let me do it. Also do you think it’s important that I start playing a sport, even though I’m not really big on sports?

Not important to start a sport if you have no interest. Certainly not for college apps (which again, as others have said, shouldn’t be the main driver of the life choices you make right now). Re: the benefits of physical activity and fitness, I would say they are almost limitless, but these benefits can be achieved with activities that aren’t organized competitive sports.

2 Likes

Definitely learn French! It is so complimentary with Spanish, and reading books in their original languages is a reward, because so much does not fully translate. For a really fun set of books, try reading Le Petit Nicolas; very charming short stories that are quite sweet and funny. And keep learning more art techniques - it takes time to develop one’s skill in this area, and as academic classes get harder, so does finding time for art.

Physical fitness is very important because it gives your brain a rest, in many ways. If you’re not into team sports, consider indoor climbing/bouldering; yoga; stretching; hiking - there are videos online of workouts you can do. See if you can find anything interesting. Start slow and simple. See if you can work your way into more complex classes.

And don’t target colleges. Be who you want to be - later, when it’s time to apply to schools, see where you can have the most fulfilling experience.

To me it looks like you are doing very well.

I also like the “applying sideways” blog on the MIT admissions web site. As I understand it, it recommends that you do whatever is right for you, and do it very well. This is exactly what I did to get into MIT. It is exactly what my wife did to get into an Ivy League university for her master’s degrees. It is what one daughter did to get into a very good DVM program. However, each of us did almost entirely different things.

If you might be interested in medical school, then getting some experience volunteering in a medical situation is a good idea. You could get this after you get to university. The main reason to try to get some experience earlier would be in case you decide that you do not like it, and want to think about different paths for your career. However, you have a lot of time to think about this. It is very common for people to change their mind multiple times. My wife might be very unusual in that what she wanted to do when she was in high school was what she ended up doing with her career. Most of us when we are in high school have no clue what we want to do for a career, or if we do know we change our mind multiple times as we get more experience.

As you go through school, classes will get more difficult. You will want to continue to keep ahead in your homework and will probably at some point want to keep a list of the work that you still need to get done. The rate at which students go from regular classes to honors classes to AP classes will be something to try to adjust to fit whatever is right for you.

There are a lot of very good colleges and universities in the US (and more elsewhere). The eight Ivy League schools are all very good. However, so are a couple of hundred other schools. Some students are more comfortable at a smaller school such as a Liberal Arts College (and the best LACs are on the same academic level as the Ivy League schools). Some students stay in-state to save money. Some students attend universities with good merit aid to save money (the Ivy League universities have very good need based aid but do not have any merit based financial aid). Some students go abroad for the experience (but this is not a good idea if you are premed – medical schools in the US prefer students who have studied in the US or Canada). As you go through high school, you will want to think about what sort of colleges or universities would be a good fit for you.

At the point that you are applying to universities (which is way in the future), if you are still interested in medical school then you will want to budget for a full 8 years of university, where the last 4 years are expensive. Many universities are very good for premed, but they can vary quite a bit in terms of what they cost. However, what you do now to be potentially competitive for Ivy League schools (get good grades, participate in ECs that make sense for you, and treat people fairly) is pretty much the same thing that you should do to improve your chances of getting good aid at other universities. This is therefore something that you do not need to think about right now.

In terms of learning French, my experience is that it is easier if you get to use it from time to time. There are some French shows on Netflix. If you are in the northeast of the US then a trip to Quebec is a possibility (there is also some French spoken in New Brunswick and elsewhere in Canada).

Again I think that you are doing well. Keep ahead in your classes, participate in the ECs that make sense for you, treat people fairly, keep an open mind, and you should do well when it comes time to apply to universities.

3 Likes

First off, you sound as if you are doing extremely well. Nothing wrong with thinking about these things early on, but please don’t worry too much at this point about shaping an application for college. It’s fine for you to just continue to do well in school, and try things out to see where your interests lie. In terms of first gen to college, it’s not a question of in which country your parents went to college. First gen to college means that your parents did not go to college anywhere, and hence you would not have received the advantage of your parents’ higher education. Otherwise, the child of two European professors, or two immigrant physicians, could claim first gen to college! By the time that you apply to college, the dust should have settled from the anticipated Supreme Court decision regarding race in college admissions, but if you keep going along this pathway of high achievement, you will be fine when it comes to college applications, no matter what.

You’re definitely on the right track, working very hard in school to get the top grades. Do the ECs that you want to do, because you enjoy them, not because you think they’ll look good for college. You should try speech and debate, or mock trial, because I think that they will give you good public speaking skills, and improve your ability to speak up for yourself and others - always a valuable life skill to have. You should continue with your interest in Math and Science competitions and programs, as long as you are doing well in them and enjoy them. I agree with continuing the Latin to the highest level available, and also agree with adding another language - French will be relatively easy for you, what with already being fluent in Spanish, and being such a good Latin student. If you really wanted a WOW factor, you’d start Chinese instead, and go spend a year in Taiwan (more about that in a minute). You sound as if you are shaping up to be a sure admit to your flagship in-state U (SUNYs), which would be your most affordable option if your parents earn enough that you wouldn’t qualify for financial aid.

As for getting into the most selective colleges (which are often also the most generous with financial aid, if your family income is low enough that you would qualify for it), the reality is that in addition to very high academic achievement, you also need to have something special that the college is looking for. Until now, that has been being a member of certain underrepresented racial minority groups, (and male more so than female of that minority), or an athlete who is so good that they are being recruited for the college team, or a particular extraordinary talent that the college wants to have there, be it music, art, dance, social advocacy - something where the achievement stands out on the national level, or to a much lesser extent, having a parent who went to that school for college, and especially if the parent is a big donor, the bigger the better. The expected Supreme Court ruling may put an end to racial preferences, but if it does, colleges are sure to try to put in place proxies for it, in order to maintain the current racial balance of the student body. This may or may not work in your favor; for example, they may try to give a boost to students coming from low socioeconomic areas that are heavily populated by the desired racial minority - and that may then be challenged also, and struck down, also - but if you don’t come from such an area, it won’t help your application.

You cannot control any of that. Your parents didn’t go to a highly selective US college. If you were on your way to becoming a recruited athlete, you’d likely already be highly proficient in that sport. So that leaves extraordinary, outstanding achievement in an area that the highly selective college might want. We’re talking top achievement in a national math or science competition, or getting into and attending Juilliard precollege for music (doesn’t sound as if you’re playing at that level), or artwork that is being recognized at the national level, something like that. Another way in which one can set oneself above and apart from the usual applicant pool is to do a year of high school in an unusual and exotic 3rd world setting, living with a family there, attending local school there, learning the language there, thus showing unusual maturity and self-sufficiency, Another path is having founded a social advocacy or charitable organization that has a national impact - think of the Parkland, FL school shooting survivors who founded anti-school shooting organizations that had a national impact. This definitely boosted their applications to Ivy league schools.

You don’t have to do any of these things, if you’d be happy going to Stonybrook, or Binghamton. Continue on your current path, and you’ll surely get in there, the price is probably right for you, and you’ll get a great education there. But if you want to go to a highly selective school, you are right to start thinking about how you can improve your chances of getting into one. Just for kicks, you might want to take a look at this website for summer language programs: STARTALK. Unfortunately, there are none in your area, but maybe you have a close family relative near where one of these is offered. But if you really do love studying languages, you could take an intensive first year summer program at your local 4 yr state college this summer, continue it through 9th at either your high school (if it’s offered) or at night at the local college, if it’s offered, and then go do 10th grade in the target country. The younger you are, the easier it is to learn a new language. That would really set you apart from the pack, and not interfere with the college application process, since you’d be back here for 11th grade, the most important one for your high school record. In addition, certain languages (Russian, Chinese, Korean, Persian, etc.) can be very valuable for future employment, whether or not you wind up in medicine.

I realize that this is all new information for you. But achievements like these, that are either at an extraordinary level, or are very much outside the norm, are what you need nowadays to get into the most selective colleges, especially if the Supreme Court bans consideration of race/ethnic group in college admissions, and if you are unlikely to qualify under the various proxies that the schools will then try to institute (giving preference to very low socioeconomic areas largely populated by the targeted racial/ethnic minorities). I am sure that I’m going to get flamed for having said more than, “There, there, dear, don’t you worry your pretty little 8th grade head about college applications, you just keep doing what you’re doing and it will all work out.” And honestly, it is totally FINE if you continue with the excellent path of achievement that you’ve already set your feet on, that would certainly lead to a career in medicine, if that’s what you want. But the truth is, if you want to get into a tippy-top Ivy school, especially if the Supreme Court bans consideration of race/ethnic group in admissions, you’re going to probably need something to distinguish yourself, to make the admissions committee rep who is combing through a thousand high-GPA, high test score, leader of a few clubs, maybe winner of a state-wide competition, applications, wake up and say, “Wow! I haven’t seen one like THIS in quite a bit. I have to bring THIS one to the entire committee, and get THIS one to come here.”

You are very accomplished.
If you are serious about an ivy then I have two specific tips. I am sure both will be very unpopular. But here you go:

1. Hire a really good private college consultant. It is a rigged game.
  2. You need to stand out by doing work that benefits the community beyond your school, ideally at state or national level.
    Finally, you do not need to go to an ivy league school to become a doctor. It is far better to go to a school where you can shine but not that is so easy that you bomb the MCAT. :slight_smile:
    Good luck!

There’s no need to start playing a sport even though you don’t like them. But it is important for your health (now and long-term) to remain physically fit. Riding your bike around town, walking around neighborhoods (or doing some hiking), taking some dance classes (whether “dance-dance” or Zumba-type aerobics), doing yoga or pilates or martial arts or…anything. But it’s important for your body to move, in terms of physical and mental health. And forming good habits now is a lot easier than 20 years down the road (speaking from experience…I’m on the hard road).

With respect to learning French, feel free to take it in school in a later year when you get more electives, but don’t lose your lunch time! You need a break during the day and it’s an optimal time for socializing with your peers. I recently learned about the Concordia Language Villages, and many people on CC had good things to say about them if you’re looking for another option to work on learning French.

As far as being a first gen, look at each college’s definition. Some colleges define first gen as parents having never gone/graduated from college anywhere while others define it as not having graduated from college in the U.S.

I would definitely like to study abroad and I know my parents 100% support it. Could you give me the links to like specific programs for sophomore year?

A few ideas come to mind.

Some high schools have study abroad options. One daughter went abroad for nearly three months (all classes were in Spanish – she became “co-teacher” for her English class since she spoke English better than the actual English teacher). She stayed with a family who had a daughter her age. Then we hosted the daughter at our house for three months. Then we hosted a different foreign student for another three months. This was a great experience for all of us. All of this was set up through our daughter’s high school.

Most universities have a study abroad program. If you are a student at a university in the US, there will be a foreign exchange office that can help you to study at a different university outside the US, typically for either a semester or a full year. Usually this is done during either sophomore or junior years. Often there will be some minimum GPA requirement, and you might need to apply for the program. Usually you pay as if you are attending your home university, although in a few cases the university abroad can actually be less expensive and sometimes some scholarships might be available.

In any of these programs you will need to pay to get there (although in a few rare cases scholarships might even cover this). For us, living in the northeast of the US, studying abroad in Canada can be easy because it is not all that far away. Studying in Europe or Australia or South America or even the other coast of the USA implies somewhat greater travel requirements.

There are French immersion programs in Canada (and probably also in France). One daughter took a 5 week program during the summer at Universite de Moncton in New Brunswick. The program that she attended was for adults and university students, but there are other programs for high school students. These are somewhat more affordable than you might expect (they get some funding from national and provincial governments). The program that our daughter took first explains the rules in English, then everything else is in French. You get tested and placed into one of I think 7 levels. You then have French lessons in the morning, and activities in the afternoon. There are also weekend activities. One of the activities is to go shopping, and of course they go to a store that is playing along and expects you to shop using French (Moncton is largely bilingual, and there are some stores and restaurants whose owners and operators are native French speakers). They retest students after 2 1/2 weeks and you might move up a level or two for morning lessons. This was quite an interesting experience and at the end my daughter and I could have a sort of rudimentary conversation in French. There are similar programs at Universite Ste Anne in Nova Scotia (a bit more difficult to get to), and in some universities in Montreal and I think Quebec City. I would expect there will also be programs further west in Canada.

Studying abroad for a full four years of university is another possibility. If you are still thinking about premed at the time that you are applying to universities, then you should be very cautious about graduating from a university abroad. The US and Canada share a system for accrediting medical schools so apparently universities in Canada are okay for students going on to medical school in the US, but the top Canadian universities (particularly Toronto and McGill) are famous for grade deflation, which is not a good thing for someone trying to maintain a “medical school worthy” GPA in tough premed classes. I am not sure what impact getting a degree in a different foreign country would have on your medical school applications. One daughter did get her bachelor’s degree in Canada. She repeated the sentence “I am a US citizen” several times during job interviews down here in the US, but otherwise did not seem to have difficulty finding a good job in the US after graduation. She was not premed, but her major overlapped a lot with premed classes, and she was able to maintain a “medical school worthy” GPA.

1 Like

Find your passion whether it’s band, walking dogs, a club, sports or otherwise. A job is also a great thing.

You need to do what you enjoy. Not tied to a major. If you can get tenure and quantifiable results, then all the better.

That’s it.

Enjoy HS.

1 Like

First…regarding activities and ECs…do what you love and love what you do. Don’t do anything because you think it will impress a college adcom. Do things you truly enjoy. And if you don’t like the first couple,of things you try…switch. It’s likely your school or community has opportunities for you. So…think of the things you really enjoy doing…and find activities that align with those.

1. Hire a really good private college consultant. It is a rigged game.

you don’t need to spend a lot of money to hire a private consultant. The vast majority of college students actually do NOT have private consultants.
You are doing the right thing by thinking a little about this early. But I would urge you not to spend the next couple of years fixating on college. Once you have some high school courses and grades in the mix, you will start to have a clearer picture of what you might and might not like in a college. Please do keep an open mind.

1. You need to stand out by doing work that benefits the community beyond your school, ideally at state or national level.

there are many opportunities both within school and out side of school to do things you like. Again…the vast majority of college students do not have national awards, or even state ones. If you achieve that, it’s nice. But you can do good and notable things without national or state recognition. For example, volunteering with less fortunate folks (e.g. a soup kitchen) would be notable, but likely wouldn’t get you some state or national award. Same thing with having a job. A job is a great EC…shows commitment and responsibility. Both good things.

Finally, you do not need to go to an ivy league school to become a doctor. It is far better to go to a school where you can shine but not that is so easy that you bomb the MCAT. :slight_smile:
Good luck!

this I totally agree with. As you progress through high school, I hope you will find a variety of colleges that pique your interest…and they absolutely do not need to be Ivy League to become a doctor.

That’s nice…but most colleges want LOR from academic teachers who have had you as a student.

It sounds like you have some great interests. I’m quite sure you will find things in HS that you will love doing. I hope you continue in music too…that’s something I think is great. Personal opinion!

It’s way to early to even guess what colleges would be good reach, match and safety schools. You don’t have any high school grades…yet. Really your grades at the end of 10th grade will be helpful…but 11th even more so.

Regardless…I would suggest that when the time comes…you need to find those sure things that are affordable that you would be happy to attend FIRST. Those could be the hardest colleges to tease out. It’s pretty easy to pick reaches…not so easy to find those sure things for admission.

Look at your instate public universities. You might be very pleased with what you find!

If cost is a factor, that will affect your college search when it’s time to do that. So…in a year or two, ask your parents what they can and will contribute annually for your college costs. That’s an important data point.

1 Like

https://exchanges.state.gov/highschool/
https://www.afsusa.org/study-abroad/

are just a few to get you started. Also, if you intend to study abroad in a specific country for 10th grade, it would be wonderful if you could host a student from that country while you’re in 9th grade.

1 Like