What has changed since the April shootings?

<p>I'm just curious since I can't find much information on the subject. What has changed security wise at Virginia Tech?</p>

<p>So far all I have found is just this:
Virginia</a> Tech announces alert system among other changes</p>

<p>Yet I'm still finding stories like this that make me feel like there hasn't been much changed at Virginia Tech:
Marc</a> Fisher - At Va. Tech, Near Silence For a Student's Anguished Cry - washingtonpost.com</p>

<p>Does anyone know of any other changes at Virginia Tech? For any students of Virginia Tech, are there some changes that may not have been publicized?</p>

<p>I hope your not talking about safety and security issues. When i visited tech i felt extremely safe. NIU is the prime example that shootings can happen any where. You really should not be worried about that.</p>

<p>When I told someone recently VT was my top choice they said they wouldnt feel safe there. They were going to an inner city school (U of cinci if you must know) and the irony is people get killed there every day (its a terrible part of town, in fact my gf just had her car broken into down there)
So, what im saying is, blacksburg is very safe, and that should be the last thing you should worry about. If you have been to campus, you would know that the VT and blacksburg police make their presence known, and they seem very professional. Your much more likely to get shot/robbed/raped at an urban campus.</p>

<p>Blacksburg is a wonderful town located in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The town and its people greatly support the university. Security measures have increased, as on nearly every college campus. Truth be, it can and unfortunately does, happen any where. Granddaughter and nephew are freshman at VT. Both love the school and wouldn't consider transfering.</p>

<p>Seriously, things happen at all colleges. Ever heard of Duke? A couple of months ago a grad student was shot in a robbery and many more were mugged at gun point. Just last week the UNC class president was killed in Chapel Hill. The reality of the matter is violence can happen anywhere. Like esmitty said I would feel more safe at VT than at an urban campus.</p>

<p>Not a whole lot, but now a whole lot has to (can) change since if somebody really wants to go around killing people they're going to be able to do it. It was an isolated incident.</p>

<p>We do have the alarm system and the dorms are 24 hour card access, but I think that's not that rare among colleges.</p>

<p>for what it's worth, i had the pleasure of visiting VT in the AUTUMN with one of my kids. altho she didn't apply, it was a positively GORGEOUS experience! very deep in the Blue Ridge Mts. and i was amazed by their numerous cafeterias, dining rooms. (sorry if i'm off topic!) :(</p>

<p>I wasn't asking if everyone individually felt safe, I was asking what has Virginia Tech concretely changed in their security measures. I felt it was a valid concern since I didn't see much change reported after a lot of international criticism of their campus security.</p>

<p>To be honest, I'm not trying to evaluate how safe it is to attend Virginia Tech at all. I've been on campus and I have absolutely no issues with that. I'm trying find out more about what the administration has done as a result of this criticism. There is no way to be 100% safe, yeah. But as I mentioned before I'm more trying to gauge the administration.</p>

<p>The main reason I found the above article disconcerting was because it seemed to show not much change had been taken into effect - not the end result of the incident.</p>

<p>Edit:</p>

<p>Though on second thought, I'm starting to think this is two separate ideas. The campus security from the shootings in April I'm thinking are more mass emergency type measures. The article however is dealing with an individual who obviously had some personal issues. While it is entirely possible that this individual may eventually pose a security risk (and who isn't potentially capable, especially in a large school?), I doubt this is really the same type of problem the school faced.</p>

<p>As such, I doubt I really need to continue worrying about this.</p>