What if your kid picks a profession that will never make any money?

He is employed by a well respected hospital and has a new baby. At this point in time he is not interested in branching out on his own or taking on additional hours. He’s doing fine.

2 Likes

Physical therapists serve a lot of roles—rehabbing after injury/surgery/stroke is very common. I had 1st PT after breaking a bone in my leg.

As we age, range of motion can get restricted due to low usage or injuries or conditions. PTs can help optimize your range of motion and teach exercises to maintain strength and flexibility.

H and I and D all go to PT as maintenance of our bodies, much like you bring cars and bodies in for check up/tune up. We have decided it is well worth heading off big problems by taking care of issues before they become a big issue.

Until I turned 50, had never been to a PT and was skeptical of whether they did much. D was also reticent. We now all agree a good PT and regular visits are invaluable.

5 Likes

That’s cool. I think of PT in terms of fixing a specific issue and in a clinical setting rather than maintenance. Thanks for answering.

5 Likes

There is a surfeit of 45+ people on the coasts who want to be able to move the same way they did in their 20s and can pay for it.

Yes, like car maintenance. Maybe a little different because if you test your body daily with strenuous workouts (like most of the people I know who get private PT), you notice when something is off.

I am an avid runner and FITT-boot camp person and I notice when I get a twinge. Didn’t realize until recently that one could get a PT.

1 Like

Did not mean to imply that he needed to freelance. I simply had no idea myself about the private PT world until very recently.

1 Like

I also had never heard of or considered private PT until the PT said she has sone private pay patients.

Since the Physical Therapy profession is being brought up I’ll weigh in. My D is in her final 2 terms of her DPT program. The last one will be a clinical. My opinion is that it is a good field but the cost of entry can be problematic. My D will be lucky. She is going to an instate school, she received a Graduate Assistanceship that pays for her tuition, fees and a stipend while she is in classes. She has to cover all of that while she is doing her clinicals. Her grandparents had a fund (essentially for my wife when they passed) that they offered to my wife to cover the remaining cost of her DPT program. Our D will graduate debt free. That makes the field much more attractive. It’s not a field where you won’t make any money but it is a field that it could be difficult to justify if you have to borrow significant funds to attend the program.

@anxiousmom my oldest D and her husband are Chemical Engineers. They both work for the same major chemical company and work in a low cost area. They both graduated around 4-5 years ago. They were also Dave Ramsey acolytes. They paid off their house this year and have zero debt and pay cash for everything. I think they like their jobs but before too long even if they don’t they’ll have enough saved to go into whatever directions they feel is right.

5 Likes

10 Best Physical Therapy Schools in the United States Ranked by Tuition says that “In 2019, the average total [for three years] tuition for an in-state public university was $66k, while tuition for out-of-state students and private students averaged $112k” and also lists 10 lower cost DPT programs. Note that living expenses and such need to be added to the tuition to get total cost of attendance.

2 Likes

Maybe someone can start a new thread to discuss PT.

6 Likes

To me, the answer to the thread topic question would depend upon whether the kid is self-supporting… in combination with the goals of the kid. If I had an aspiring musician kid living at home long term without good prospects or health insurance, that would probably get old. I’d be more patient with a kid who had opted to be a teacher and needed a few years to save up and wait for salary increases.

1 Like

I think I need the definition of, “never make any money.”

Is that $31,200 per year? ($15/hr)

Is it the $59,600 average salary for 25-34 year old college grads?

Is it anything less than a good STEM salary?

6 Likes

What is a “good STEM salary”?

Billionaire before you turn 30?

LOL! Thanks for emphasizing my point.

1 Like

Depends on location, job benefits, moonlighting potential, hours, so many factors.

Say I was making 30k (gov’t pensioned job) that allowed me to avoid having to pay for childcare (due to hours/WAH) for 2-3 kids, that works out to a 60k+ equivalent salary given the savings.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree, but the title is "What if your kid picks a profession that will never make any money.

That sounds like a direct compensation concern to me.

Same here! Also, I think kids need to make a plan and have a Plan B if Plan A doesn’t work out. I’d be fine if my kid wanted to be a musician, but they’d need to be pounding the payment and maybe picking up a side job or two to support themselves.

3 Likes

Sounds great to me! Not everyone is about money. For those who ARE about money, it’s hard to understand. Like an extrovert trying to understand an introvert.

Is he at peace? If so, all’s good.

4 Likes