What NOT to Wear...at Bama... ;)

<p>the last 2 pairs D got ran a half size smaller. But it varies from style to style. Toms are carried in a lot of stores around here, so even if they don’t have that pattern you can have her try on for size: Journeys, SHI, Whole Foods, Nordstroms, etc. You can see who sells them by you at: [TOMS</a> Shoes](<a href=“http://www.toms.com/store-locator/]TOMS”>Where to Buy TOMS Shoes Near You | TOMS)</p>

<p>Thank you for the locator! Apparently they are sold at WF, Nordstoms and Neiman Marcus in my area too. Wow! I have never been in the NM. I might have to get dressed up to go in there!<br>
That’s a good idea to try on at the store if needed and then order online if necessary.</p>

<p>Okay, so I studied up on where to shop. Now I need to know if there are any good salons in T-town, especially for brow waxing. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>[DAKINE</a> Packs : Houndstooth Collection](<a href=“http://www.dakine.com/w/packs/street-packs/girls#collection=9]DAKINE”>http://www.dakine.com/w/packs/street-packs/girls#collection=9)</p>

<p>The only hair or nail salons I’ve been to at Bama are…</p>

<p>the hair salon at JC Penney…which can certainly do brow waxing.</p>

<p>And the Midtown Nail Salon salon in Midtown Village - they do waxing, too.
[Welcome</a> to Midtown Nails](<a href=“midtownnailsoftuscaloosa.com”>http://www.midtownnailsoftuscaloosa.com/)</p>

<p>[Midtown</a> Village Tuscaloosa :: 1800 McFarland Blvd. East, AL, 35404 :: 205.342.1491](<a href=“http://www.midtownvillagetuscaloosa.com/]Midtown”>http://www.midtownvillagetuscaloosa.com/)</p>

<p>Thanks. We’ll go take a look when we get there :)</p>

<p>This has just been a great thread and I really appreciate the links and great advice. D and I picked up on the David Yurman jewelry preference right away at Sorority preview weekend. At D’s high school (private girls boarding), it was Tiffany’s all the way. So it was DY for HS graduation! The sales person at our local DY store said that customers had told her it was big at UA. (and I am assuming this is primarily a greek style thing) And on vacation to St John (USVI) last month, we did not find GREAT deals but they take 10% off the price and no sales tax. Every little bit helps! They will ship to you also with a phone call: Tracy DeWolf at Jewels (Mongoose Junction, St John) phone 248-809-5560 ext 10040. [Jewels—The</a> World’s Finest Luxury Brands](<a href=“http://www.jewelsonline.com%5DJewels—The”>http://www.jewelsonline.com). Lovely store and very helpful & professional.</p>

<p>We had to buy some Lilly P this summer and the Nike shorts (she was into Under Armour). She already has tall aubergine Hunters and lots of North Face. Not sure if her UGGS will get much use (I am embarrassed to admit to how many pairs she has accumulated over the years when her feet stopped growing and then those spontaneous purchases when you walk into Nordstrom or NM and they have someone handpainting or airbrushing them).</p>

<p>I love figuring out the local style. Wayyyy back when I went to college I went from preppy CT to laid back OR - it was a combination of flannel shirts/hiking boots and Hawaii and California style. From Northern VA to the UA Greek look isn’t such a huge shift but I guess I had better check out Southern Proper and see what I am missing :-)</p>

<p>vcm123…I now just realized we know each other right??? Took a little while to put 2 and 2 together…too much going on at my house. Please keep me updated on how recruitment goes for your DD…:).</p>

<p>:-) You are right ahpimommy!! Thanks so much - I’ll let you know how things go!!</p>

<p>

I’m coming from the same boat…I went to boarding school and everyone wore Tiffany’s, DY wasn’t seen too much.</p>

<p>This thread continues to be so helpful! It’s incredible how similar things can be coming from Connecticut private school to an Alabama public university, but there are still a few differences I need to keep track of!</p>

<p>Well, I don’t know from David Yurman, but I made out like a bandit today at the Hanesbrands sample sale. Stocked up on men’s boxer briefs, athletic socks, board shorts (for swimming), PJs, polos, sweatshirts, sweatpants, lacrosse shorts, basketball shorts, microfleece hoodie (wanted to get Super Hoods but couldn’t find any in my kids’ sizes), and t-shirts, all for a grand total of $121. I know my hubby will squawk – we already have enough lacrosse shorts and polo shirts to open a sporting goods store with. But the kids are all done growing, so hey, what the heck, the stuff will always come in handy.</p>

<p>At Bama Bound, we were told to pack five summer outfits and five winter outfits. But I figure that if I roll tees, polos, and mesh shorts up really tightly, then I can fit a bunch more in the same space. :)</p>

<p>We’re packing a box of summer stuff, a box of winter stuff, and a box of shlepping-around-the-dorm stuff. Plus two pairs of dress pants, two dress shirts, and a winter jacket. My boys never wear their jackets; they just layer hoodies over sweatshirts…but if it gets cold enough…</p>

<p>we were told to pack five summer outfits and five winter outfits.</p>

<p>I don’t think that’s enough at all.</p>

<p>Kids often do their laundry only once a week or even every 2 weeks. 5 outfits won’t even take them thru an entire week.</p>

<p>I think boys need at least…</p>

<p>10-15 T’s, shirts, polos for warm weather</p>

<p>10-15 tops for cold weather (some can be layer types)</p>

<p>1-3 jackets/hoodies/etc.</p>

<p>5-8 pairs of shorts</p>

<p>1-3 pairs of khaki pants.</p>

<p>2 - 5 pairs of jeans</p>

<p>14-20 pairs of underwear</p>

<p>14 pairs of socks</p>

<p>athletic shoes</p>

<p>sperry type shoes</p>

<p>waterproof shoes</p>

<p>flip-flops</p>

<p>nice belt and a casual belt</p>

<p>forgot to add…</p>

<p>5 pairs of gym shorts and T’s if your kid is going to work out.</p>

<p>10-14 white T’s if your child wears those underneath shirts.</p>

<p>Girls are a totally different story. lol</p>

<p>m2ck … umm … yeah. “My” requirement was that everything fit in the car! Beyond that, she could bring whatever she liked. But, the clothes … oh the clothes … let’s just say, I think she has enough!!! :slight_smile: 24 hours until departure. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Yes…girls are a totally different story. They need all kinds of outfits, accessories, shoes, boots, sandals, purses, etc, etc, etc.</p>

<p>But…I should have added in my above posts…it’s not unusual for even boys to wear two different outfits within one day…and than can mean an extra shower so more undies/socks get worn.</p>

<p>Thanks, mom2ck–this gives me ammunition if DH squawks, LOL!!</p>

<p>I did stock up on white tees, too–forgot to mention that.</p>

<p>I think we might pass on the sperrys and flip-flops. They are sooooo not my son’s style, LOL.</p>

<p>But looks like we may be covered with everything else.</p>

<p>Thanks again!!</p>

<p>Diane</p>

<p>Oh, also–both boys hate jeans and refuse to wear them, weirdly enough. I have had to give away so many pairs of jeans! We do khakis and athletic pants. (Sweatpants are just for schlepping around.) Hope that’s Bama-appropriate.</p>

<p>Thanks, mom2ck–this gives me ammunition if DH squawks, LOL!</p>

<p>lol…well I now have the experience of getting boys ready for college 7 times…4 for one and 3 for the other. Moved S2 into his apt this last weekend. And this week I’m getting S1 ready for grad school. </p>

<p>So, tell your H that I do have experience and neither of my kids are “into clothes”…but they do need clothes! If you think your son won’t do laundry religiously every 7 days, then he’ll need extra clothes. All it takes is a couple of weeks when a kid is too busy to do laundry that he’ll need those extra clothes.</p>

<p>As for athletic pants…those are fine. Kids come in work-out clothes, they come in anything.</p>

<p>If you think your son won’t do laundry religiously every 7 days, then he’ll need extra clothes.</p>

<p>Heh. We’ll be lucky if he does it once every TWO weeks, LOL. And that’s pushing it!</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the advice. I will be rolling up a lot of tees and polos into itty-bitty bundles and squooshing them into boxes to fit in the back of the Outback, LOL.</p>

<p>BTW, you don’t need to bring all of your winter clothes with you now. Tuscaloosa stays relatively warm up until Christmas break. You might need a light jacket and a couple warm outfits. But for the most part you can keep your winter stuff at home until you come back after Thanksgiving or Christmas.</p>

<p>I’ve never packed a kid off to college, but even I know that M2CK is closer to the target than the 5 summer/5 winter outfits advice. I just washed the clothes that D threw down the laundry chute, and there were 38 t-shirts there, on top of her other clothes (although D is strictly a jeans/shorts and t-shirts girl). If 38 accumulate when mom is doing the laundry, I’d hate to see how many she’ll need at college!</p>