What NOT to Wear...at Bama... ;)

<p>My D had a black pantsuit and business skirts for various events. There are “coffee talk” type hours held every month through the Honors College. Here is an example: <a href=“Honors News | 04.28.14”>Honors News | 04.28.14; </p>

<p>Your D might give presentations for various classes. Sometimes there are field trips to businesses. In the fall and spring there are job/career fairs. All reasons to have a nice suit. It’s just easier to bring one than to scramble for one while at school. </p>

<p>My son said that he knew several young ladies who went out and purchased two or three nice business skirts/suits for Honors events. They were also able to wear them for presentations as well as interviews for grad school/jobs.</p>

<p>We started the purchase of clothing for my younger son, who will attend UA in Huntsville. Thanks to his older brother’s guidance, the younger son could look very frat. When he dresses that way for high school classes, some people ask if he just got off the family yacht. He takes that as a compliment. If they only knew how well his mom shops those sales for the best bargains…</p>

<p>What about LL Bean boots, the “duck” kind with the rubber bottom and leather top for girls? They’re waterproof and nice, but are those only a Midwest/northerner thing?</p>

<p>Personally, I like those, but I think the girls at Bama wear rain-boots…others can correct me if I’m wrong.</p>

<p>maybe something like</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.target.com/p/women-s-merona-zasha-houndstooth-rainboot-black/-/A-14160769”>http://www.target.com/p/women-s-merona-zasha-houndstooth-rainboot-black/-/A-14160769&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I would not buy several suits for a freshman girl OR guy. Maybe a nice blazer that can be worn with dress pants. The “freshman 15” is not a myth…even if they don’t gain weight, their bodies will change a good bit in the next months. I’d say a suit would be useful for a junior or senior, but don’t invest so much for a freshman or sophomore just yet. </p>

<p>@mom2collegekids‌ re boots, will hunter boots work?
<a href=“http://usa.hunter-boot.com/shop/womens/footwear/original-rubber”>http://usa.hunter-boot.com/shop/womens/footwear/original-rubber&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thank so much, Southlander! For my freshman engineering/honors son, I’m thinking a basic blazer (sportcoat), 3 or 4 pairs of dress pants, 4 or 5 dress shirts, 3 ties … hoping that will do it for freshman year. He will be dressing up only when he absolutely has to!</p>

<p>I can’t say what other students feel comfortable in but my student needed suits. I would suggest a basic black or dark navy suit. If a student does a presentation then I think a suit is a necessity. It doesn’t have to be an expensive suit. So if you are already purchasing a sports jacket and at least one pair of slacks, why not go ahead and buy a suit. Your student can always wear either piece independently and mix and match with other wardrobe items. However, when he needs a suit, he will have one already.</p>

<p>Both of my daughters have the Bean boots and tall Hunter boots and they wear them all the time. </p>

<p>Robotbldmom is right. There are some kids who really need suits, particularly if they present regularly. My son had several suit jackets and pairs of slacks in several colors when he went to Alabama. Not only did he present in classes, he also sat on various college boards, and one cannot attend those meetings in jeans and t-shirts. I am currently in the process of purchasing for my younger son (who will be a freshman at UAH). He enjoys dressing nicely.</p>

<p>Even in high school it can be useful to have a suit for weddings, Academic League, debate etc. I agree that you don’t want to spend a lot of money when your child will likely change size but you can get some good cheaper options.</p>

<p><a href=“Overstock.com: Online Shopping - Bedding, Furniture, Electronics, Jewelry, Clothing & more”>Overstock.com: Online Shopping - Bedding, Furniture, Electronics, Jewelry, Clothing & more;

Bumping an old (but fun!) thread to ask a question I’m hoping some might be able to help me with.

My son needs steel-toed work boots for his summer co-op in the state, and I’m wondering if there are any recommendations for or against certain styles. I’d appreciate it if anyone can suggest a reasonably priced brand that is particularly well-suited for summers in the South. Likewise, I need to know if there are any styles/brands to be avoided because they suggest the wearer is clueless Yankee dolt. :slight_smile:

I’m also curious to know what some of our really smart women engineers are wearing these days. I don’t suppose there’s a Jack Rogers boot that all the kids wear? :wink:

" As I’ve probably mentioned upthread, my D is a t-shirt and jeans/shorts girl. She is not at all fashion conscious. As tempted as I was to do so after reading this thread, we did not go out and get new clothes before D headed for Bama (mostly because D refused to do so). Once she got there, she did pick up a couple game day dresses and a collection of Bama t-shirts, but that was about it. She still wears t-shirts from her high school (many of them) and nothing bad has happened. She did get a suit this year (she’s a sophomore), and she has needed it. While I would definitely pick up weather related stuff, like rain boots, if your child has a style he or she likes and doesn’t otherwise need new clothes, I’d wait and let them buy new stuff in Tuscaloosa if their tastes or needs change. "

This was my plan. DS has never worn most of what I have read here. And khaki shorts, never. They were an approved uniform for school and he never wore them in all the years the dress code applied.

So he will be going down w/ what he wears now, and adjust or not. I am more concerned with how “much” clothing should he take. How many shirts, shorts, etc. Do you plan out enough to cover a 2 week period or what? Being OOS, he will not be able to get home all that often.

Best thing: Barbour jacket.

Sure, it’s a little pricey, but it lasts a lifetime and NOTHING is better against the damp chill of the winter/spring.

What not to wear:
Bama Bound shirt.

My sons wore all their UA T-Shirts throughout the year, even their bama bound ones. I love all the school shirts I see when I’ve visited - I think it shows pride in the school and great spirit.

Laralei, my engineering boys aren’t in fraternities and are from the midwest and basically they wore what they wear at home…t-shirts or polos, and shorts or jeans with gym shoes. I’m not sure if they are “in style” but they are comfortable. They both did take some dress up clothes, a suit they share (same size, same dorm), black pants and a long sleeve shirt and tie, and khaki pant with matching shirt for more casual dressy affairs. They dressed up for an OA nice dinner, honor society inductions, award dinners and for job interviews. (Unfortunately no dances…) I know my boys aren’t great keeping up with washing, so I made sure that each had 21 pairs of underwear and socks so they would have 3 weeks before they ran out. I also made sure they had a dozen shirts (figuring they would get some free ones or buy some at school), 5 or so pairs of shorts and 3 or so pair of jeans. Don’t forget to send a good rain jacket, and some outerwear for the winter days (it could be 30 degree lows). Hope this helps a little.

Add another mom whose kids wear their Bama Bound shirts – got to love those soft comfort colors!

@LucieTheLakie Boot brands are personal preference. Budget is also a huge factor. Many of my family members like Wolverine boots. Danner Boots are also a great brand, are very popular with police officers and members of the military, and are usually made in Portland, Oregon. Georgia Boot And Red Wing Shoes are also great brands. Good boots often cost $150-400, but will last for many years. A number of the companies design boots such that they can be resoled or otherwise repaired.

Amazon has some extremely good deals on boots on occasion, eg $200 Danner boots for $60, and has free shipping and free returns. In Tuscaloosa, Ervin’s Work and Western is the local dealer for many brands of boots.

Very helpful info, @SEA_tide. Many thanks!

laralei: Keep in mind that it is often very hot/humid during August and into September, which means your son might need two changes of clothes per days, on many days during the first 5-7 weeks (if he’s anything at all like my son). Throw in a workout at the rec center and it could be 3 sets of clothes sometimes! This is short term, though, and the weather is nice after that! Might sound silly, but unless your son is super great at laundry (religiously doing all of it once a week), send at least 21 pair of underwear :slight_smile:

Gee, moms, don’t you know the trick of turning everything inside out to get another wear out of it - including underwear? And it’s a true fact that clothes at the bottom of the pile are magically cleaner than the ones on top.
:D/