What Science Classes Should I Take My Last Two Years of High School If I've Only Taken Biology? [interested in physics major]

Hi. I am interested in majoring in Physics in college and I am wondering what classes I should take for my junior and senior years of high school. I did not take a science class my freshman year of high school and I’m planning on taking Chemistry for my Junior year and then AP Physics 1 for my Senior year. What’s your advice? Is that the right path to take? Or do you think that I should take different science classes for my last two years? The reason that I skipped my freshman year is because I got bad advice from someone close to me. I know that it is my fault, but what should I do since I have only taken General Biology so far?

Best to take both physics and chemistry while in high school. The college versions of these courses commonly recommend the high school versions of these courses (in addition, physics for physics majors also requires calculus, which is why it may be started in second semester if the student does not start in a more advanced math course than calculus 1 in first semester).

1 Like

Taking a year each of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics is the exact right answer as far as I am concerned.

For future Physics majors, it is also a good idea to get as far in Math as you can. But what that means in practice depend on the individual and school.

3 Likes

In general, this means completing precalculus in high school is the minimum. If calculus is available to you in high school, take calculus.

2 Likes

+1 to recommend completing a sequence of bio, chem, and physics in HS.

3 Likes

Thank you for your advice! So far, I have taken Algebra 1 my freshman year and Algebra 2 my Sophomore year.

Thank you for your advice! Do you think it’s better that I take AP Chemistry or General? I’ve never studied Chemistry before. Also, do you think that I should take General, Honors, or AP Physics? I read online that you don’t need any prior experience to take AP Physics 1.

I would take AP Physics if you plan to major in Physics in college. If you find HS AP Physics too challenging, then maybe Physics is not right for you.

2 Likes

Thank you! Yes, I actually love Physics. I like to study Physics and read Physics textbooks in my free time. I know… I’m a nerd :nerd_face:

Do you think that it is too hard to go straight to AP Chemistry?

If they will let you do it, that is a good sign. You might want to do what you do with Physics and just self study a bit too.

1 Like

Many if not most students who have a STEM bent take AP Chem. Only you can answer if you are comfortable with the subject. How did you feel about it in junior high school assuming you had some type of intro Chem class.

Well, I mean what if I didn’t have any intro Chemistry class?

At my kids’ high school, they go directly into their choice of either regular chemistry or AP chemistry in sophomore year, without a prior chem class in high school (they have basic physics in 9th grade). AP Chem includes a lot of material and is fast paced if you have not seen much chemistry before, but it is doable if you are motivated.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your Awesome advice! Now, I plan on enrolling in AP Chemistry for my Junior year of high school and AP Physics 1 for my senior year of High School.

Geometry?

What is the usual math progression that you are on at your school?

Does your school say that you can take AP chemistry without any previous chemistry?

Some or many colleges’ physics majors do require college general chemistry. Sometimes, a high enough AP chemistry score can fulfill that requirements.

In general, any of these can be a first high school physics course, although your high school may have specific requirements. Normally, someone interested in the subject would take the most advanced course (looks like AP in your high school). However, AP physics 1 covers only half of the usual topics (AP physics 2 covers the rest).

I would check with the teacher/guidance counselor at your HS before scheduling to be sure you get put into an appropriate placement. Some things are school dependent (ex. at our HS you must complete HS level science classes before enrolling in an AP science class but that is not the same at every HS.)

5 Likes

Thank you! I will check with my counselor before I schedule my 2nd semester courses. I think that you might be right though. If I can’t take the advanced courses, I will just take General Chemistry and Honors Physics and get the best grades that I possibly can.

2 Likes

Curious about your interest in majoring in physics if you haven’t yet taken physics.

1 Like

Thank you! The usual math progression at my school is students take Algebra 1 their freshman year, Algebra 2 their sophomore year, Geometry their junior year, and Precalculus their senior year. I checked with my high school, and they said that Chemistry is a prerequisite to AP Chemistry, Which I believe means that I can’t take it until after I’ve taken the former. Since I have to take general first, I guess that is what I will do because the general is a full year of science. My high school does not offer AP Physics 2, so AP Physics 1 is the most advanced Physics class that I can take. I checked about the prerequisites for AP Physics 1, and I cannot take it until I’ve taken regular Physics. I can take Honors Physics though without taking regular Physics first. So, now my plan is to take General Chemistry and Honors Physics and get the best grades that I possibly can in both of the classes.

2 Likes