What should I know? Or wished I had known when my student was a freshman?

I thought that I would start a new thread where posts can “live” that are pertinent to incoming freshmen and their parents. Even though at this point students and parents have visited the university, they may still need some help in navigating. I thought that this could be a resource thread that may well prove easier than searching this entire forum. This thread might take a while to fill out, but reposts of important items (relevant posts) would be a good beginning. This is probably not the place to post tour info or restaurant advice, since we have many such threads like that. I was thinking along the lines of solid info & advice on textbooks, budgeting, extra academic/travel opportunities, helpful hints, health care, or anything that has proven useful to your student & family, and may very well help incoming students. I would also think that up to date info is more relevant. I know we have many threads on everything but I thought this thread might be along the lines of “Helpful Info” just in one concise place.

If anyone wants to post, please feel free and thanks :slight_smile:

I will posted this on another thread but will repost it here:

Every student should know the following:
A.) Your Professors’ and/or TA (Teaching Assistant’s) Office Hours.
B.) Where your Professors’ offices are. Each student should stop in often to speak with their professors and ask questions, review tests/papers, discuss problems etc.
C.) Each student should know that there are “walk-in” tutoring classes that do NOT require an appointment. See the list and location on the students MyBama page. The list will also be on the CAS website (see below).
E.) There are free tutoring services located at the Center For Academic Success, for which the student WILL have to make an appointment.

http://www.cas.ua.edu/default.asp

F.) EVERY student should become familiar with the CAS (in my opinion) since there are workshops such as; Study Skills and guideline pages; such as note taking along with many other resources.
G.) SOME students will need some of these resources, others will need none but it is really good to know that these services exist.
F.) By the way, did I mention that these services are FREE, these services do not cost extra. Only classes carrying credit cost tuition.

I just noticed these two classes given by the CAS, THESE are for credit, so they cost tuition dollars but seem worth it to me.

CAS Academic Support Services Osband Hall 348-5175

CAS Academic Support Services provides programs and services to help UA students improve study techniques, succeed in particular UA courses, enhance and extend their classroom experiences, upgrade reading proficiencies, and prepare for standardized entrance exams. CAS services are designed to enhance the academic skills of successful students and to improve the skills of students striving to be more successful academically.

Visit our BEP 110 site for more information about the CAS

Intro to Learning Strategies and Skills course.

BCE 101 Freshman Compass Course: An introduction to The University of Alabama for first-year students. The course serves as an introduction to higher education and The University of Alabama in particular. Approximately 50% of the course consists of study skills related instruction. Topics covered include time management, learning styles, reading textbooks, taking notes, preparing for tests, and getting along with faculty. The other 50% includes instruction in staying healthy, becoming involved on campus, career planning, communication skills, and money management.
Click here to view the BCE 101 syllabus.

NEW 222 Academic Potential: A 2-hour study skills course available to all undergraduates. Topics that are covered include time management, textbook reading, note taking, preparing for tests, and college writing. In addition to study skills, the course often covers such areas as campus resources, critical thinking, money management, communication skills, diversity, and living a healthy lifestyle.
Click here to view the NEW 222 syllabus.

Also mentioned is BEP 110 which I found here:

http://www.cas.ua.edu/AcadSup/bep110/index.htm

This is a very long course description, so I will not post it here, just go to the link

My advice to new freshmen and their parents is don’t go overboard decorating their dorm room. So many people put so much time and money to make the room look gorgeous (and it is amazing how beautiful some are) but in a lot of cases the student moves off campus for their second year so now they need different size bedding, or will not use the dorm type furniture, drapes etc. they purchased for the first year. Its important to have what is needed, but leave the wants or unnecessary items at home. You will be grateful at the end of the year when you don’t have to move it to storage, bring it back home, try to sell it, or throw it away. (There is a facebook resale page to check out if needed.)

Freshmen year is more expensive because the student is required to have the unlimited dining plan. After the first year, the student is no longer required to have that particular plan or any dining plan. So simply choose a less expensive dining plan for years 2 to 4 and save money. Students can also eat out at less expensive venues or shop for food locally and cook. Breakfast in the dorm room, such as cereal or bread and jam is always a cheaper option.

After freshman year, students are not required to live on campus and many don’t want to. Thus the cost of housing can decrease.

Buying Texts and other required books through a discount site will save money. Some kids rent their texts or use kindle versions. Don’t forget to check out used books, many are in “like new” condition.

Students can also cut down on costs by economizing:
a.) Not having a car on campus saves permit fees, gas money and insurance costs.
b.) Take full advantage of the meal plan your freshman year, shop at the dining hall, take out desserts, fruit, milk or a sandwich for your next day’s lunch.
c.) Save $'s by not using your Dining Dollars. Simply apply for a refund at the end of the year.
d.) Take full advantage of all the FREE entertainment opportunities on campus. There are sports events, art shows, lectures, movies, and plenty of other free events. Some events even have free food!
6.) Use the Rec Center for both exercise and employment. Consider getting a job there if you have the necessary skills. Or get a job elsewhere on campus to pay for those additional expenses.
7.) Purchase a Brita water filter portable bottle, fill it, take it with you and skip paying for bottled drinks.
8.) Don’t go out every weekend to eat or drink, do so only on special occasions. Find inexpensive ways to entertain friends. Have a snack party where each guest brings a food item or snack.
9.) Use coupons when shopping at Publix or shop sales for food at Walmart or Target.
10.) if your parents have a Sam’s club membership, they can add you to their membership for a few dollars. Buy all your bulk supplies there, you can even split costs with your roommates.

TIP: Protect your rental textbooks from water damages.

Learned the hard way that renting a text book from SUPE…if you have ANY water damage whatsoever, they will require that you replace it (in effect buying it on top of renting it). Even slight water damage such as slightly wrinkled pages on one edge of ten pages (which does not affect the book or its contents in any way!)…they just will not accept it back. So be warned of spilling water/liquids while you’re studying, or those rain storms that can soak backpacks.

TIP: Check your student’s bill/account every month or so.

Small additional expenses are sometimes billed to a student’s account after you have paid the main tuition bill, throughout the the semester. If these are not paid in time, there is an overdue charge (which is fairly steep). These additional items can include Health Center copays, pharmacy charges, additional course fees, overdue charges, tickets, event charges, SUPE store charges, etc.

Things I learned my freshman year

1. Always go to class. ALWAYS.
  2. Do every extra credit assignment you can.
  3. Just because it’s Alabama doesn’t mean you need winter clothes.
  4. Just because it’s Alabama doesn’t mean you don’t need a comforter.
  5. You need like 1/4 of what you bring to college.
  6. The meal plan is a rip-off. Accept it. Be at peace with it.
  7. Bama Cash is king. Great birthday/holiday present.
  8. Study like mad on weekdays so you can enjoy weekends.
  9. USE YOUR PROFESSOR’S OFFICE HOURS. No one does and they’ll love you forever.
  10. Sleep well, sleep often. An all nighter is never needed.
  11. Workout. Eat a vegetable. Don’t ignore what your body is telling you.
  12. Football tickets are always cheapest Friday night.
  13. YOU DON’T NEED A PRINTER. Gorgas has you covered.
  14. Java City>Starbucks
  15. Buffalo Phil’s will never not be awesome.

Loving all the helpful advice, thanks guys!!!

Things I learned as a freshmen/wonder why more freshmen don’t do:

1. Learn the layout of Tuscaloosa and Northport. This especially helps during rush hour, finding a specific restaurant, etc.
  2. Make friends with people who are different from yourself. Challenge your preconceived notions about different types of people.
  3. Get to know the people who work on campus. They are wonderful people and know their way around.
  4. Get out of your room/dorm and try new opportunities.
  5. Check your Crimson (school) email and read the signs/ads that are posted around campus. There are so many great opportunities and events at UA, not all of which are well attended because students don’t take the time to read the limited advertisements.
  6. There is really no need to ever use Bama Cash unless one doesn’t want to use quarters for laundry. Refunds for unused Dining Dollars can be requested at the end of the year.
  7. While it’s great to have friends at other universities, spending hours in ones room talking with them is not good for anyone’s social growth.
  8. Know when to say no. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.
  9. Take at least one interesting class outside of your major.
  10. The freshman meal plan is a sunk cost. Don’t try to eat your money’s worth or eat when you’re not hungry. It’s very easy to gain wait, but hard to lose it.
  11. If you choose to drink, drink responsibly and never drive drunk or be driven by someone who’s been drinking. Parents, remind your students that you’ll pay for a cab back to their dorm/apartment, no questions asked. Their lives and the lives of others are worth so much more than the cost of a cab ride.
  12. Your roommate does not have to be your best friend or even a friend. You just have to be respectful to each other.
  13. If you are feeling depressed, seek professional help.
  14. Go to a football game and tailgate parties, even if you don’t like football. You might end up going to every home game.
  15. Manage your finances. You can have fun without spending a lot of money.
  16. Sometimes it’s worth paying extra to save time.

In summary, I encourage students to live, laugh, and love. While there is the possibility of heartbreak, it’s worth the risk compared to having never loved at all.

While this is now a dated example, live the mantra of Ms. Frizzle from The Magic School Bus: Take Chances, Make Mistakes, and Get Messy!

Roll Tide Roll!

My freshman advice is generic, but I see the potential for stumbling on this issue is enormous at Alabama: Don’t screw up your first semester’s grades.

I loved my first semester in college. I got 3 Cs and a D my first semester. I spent the next 3 1/2 years digging out of a hole.

Many thanks to @SEA_tide for some Great Advice and Ideas!!!

@salesboy Thanks for the Honest, Very, Very Honest Advice. You may just have saved some freshmen from future heartache.

Parents, please share these ^^two student’s advice with your incoming students.

Just a thought on post #8 (6), I’ve found Bama Cash a convenient method for transferring cash to DS for books, laundry, groceries etc since it is accepted at many places around campus including Publix.

http://actcard.ua.edu/locations/

^ In a world of Dining Dollars, Bama Cash is king.

Specific:
  1. Carry an Umbrella with you at all times.
  2. Get a good pair of high quality polarized sunglasses. Lots of time outdoors, important to protect your eyes.
  3. Don't skip the winter jacket. It does get cold.
  4. Bring some sort of foam/board for the dorm beds. They're uncomfortable of a lot of people.

Generic:

5. Go to all classes
  6. Don't be afraid to use office hours.
  7. If you're stuck studying something, take a break and come back to it later.

My younger son, who is at UAH, always offers these two tidbits to incoming freshmen:

1. Go to class. A lot of professors do take attendance, and they reward students for being in class. It could be the difference between an A and a B.
  2. Read the textbook. Believe it or not, he said, professors do not base all their exams on their lectures. Some actually put together questions based on what is in the textbook. Besides, you paid for it. Use it.

I would always encourage a student to take 15 or 16 hours of credit, even if he or she has a ton of AP credit coming into a school. If you take 12, you usually will not be permitted to drop a class if you are struggling, because you would not be a full-time student. That can mess with your scholarship, if you have one.

Also, ask for gift cards as gifts. The campus food does get old. It is nice to go off campus once in a while and eat with friends. It’s nicer if you have a gift card from someone who loves you, and you do not need to pay for the meal! My older son, who graduated from Bama two years ago, is still using all those Starbucks cards he got, and now he’s in law school.

Call home. Yes, you are grown up and independent. But, sometimes you need to hear a friendly voice. My sons often call while walking to or from class. Sometimes, it’s to check in. Sometimes, they want us to check on something for them. Sometimes, they ask for us to send a particular recipe that is simple and low cost but good.

Here are some more tips:
1.) Keep your phone charged at all times. If there is an emergency, you will be glad that your phone is charged.
2.) Have an emergency weather app on your phone or get an emergency weather radio.
3.) Have an emergency bag or backpack with a flashlight, extra batteries, bottled water, non-perishable food such as jerky, nuts, granola bars, along with a first-aid kit, and some cash.
4.) Make copies of all ID, Driver’s License, Passport, Bank Cards and Credit Cards, Medical & Prescription Cards. Keep a copy at home in case of theft, loss, or disaster.
5.) Invest in a small safe to keep valuables, important documents, Presciption medications, and cash.
6.) Have a backup pair of prescription eyeglasses or contacts.
7.) Have an extra set of car keys (if you have your car on campus).
8.) Have your Home Keys at college, in case you ever need to return home quickly, or return in an emergency.

@robotbldmom great advice - especially point #3 - which would also be good advice in a zombie apocalypse!

TIP: Making copies of your documents.

Go to a copy center and empty the entire contents of your wallet onto the copier glass. Then, flip 'em all over and take a copy of the backside of cards (the side with all the pertinent phone #s!). < $0.50 and you’re done! Some gift cards can be registered (and replaced) if they are lost/stolen. My S lost his wallet FR year, so this single piece of paper (2-sided) was a god-send.

Re license/passport, look carefully at all expiry dates, and get renewals before you go to college, if necessary.

Somethings I learned freshman year:

1. Do NOT assume you and your roommates will be best friends and spend every minute together. While this can happen, it also isn’t 100% of the time.
  2. Suite style is great but traditional forces you to be social.
  3. Take advantage of all the opportunities you can even if you can find people to go with you. You’ll meet people. Idk if anyone is on campus but they’re showing the World Cup game at the soccer stadium and they’ll have free food.
  4. free food is free. take advantage of this. It’s nice to eat things other than dining hall food.

Thanks for so many thoughtful replies. I know a lot of traffic now goes to the Facebook page but I am glad that we are getting some excellent tips & advice. :slight_smile: