What universities are good schools for physics and have good financial aid at the same time?

Basically the title. It can be of any ranking. You can give the name of an Ivy League school with good financial aid or a random state university with good financial aid. Top 100 would be nice though. And I’ll be a transfer student if that makes any difference. I want to be able to go to a school I can manage to pay for.

Private, full-need met schools that are in the top 25 (size-adjusted) feeders to physics PhD programs and accept more than 10% of transfer applicants include: Reed, Haverford, Swarthmore, U of Rochester, Kenyon, Cornell, and Case Western Reserve U. If you happen to be female, there are also some good options among the women’s colleges. Run Net Price Calculators with your financial information to see whether these schools would be affordable for you. Lawrence U doesn’t guarantee meeting full need but can be very generous and is also a top physics PhD feeder school.

Sources:

New Mexico Tech is a very affordable WUE school that also makes the top 20 PhD feeders for physics. Total estimated cost of attendance with the WUE discount is around 13K/year. But they cap the number of WUE awards each year so it’s important to apply early.

2 Likes

What is your budget? What is your FAFSA EFC?

Your chances of being admitted to an Ivy League school (they do meet 100% demonstrated need) will be very small because there are very few seats available for transfer students.

There is a great chance that you will be full pay if you transfer to a state university where you are not a resident. You may be full pay if you transfer to another state university in your home state. Chances for merit money decrease exponentially for transfer students.

As others have recommended, be sure to run the net price calculator to see if they schools that you are thinking about will be a financially feasible option.

What is your budget?