What's the curve like?

<p>My PHYS 220 and MA 165 grades aren't looking that great and I'm really worried. Does anybody have any info regarding the curve in the past to put my nerves at ease?</p>

<p>It really depends on year to year. The curve is for the entire course, but grades are distributed per section for MA 165. Basically if you’re around the average or above for the exams/quizzes/homework/etc. then you’ll get a C or better</p>

<p>I’m not sure about physics; however, my recitation TA for MA 261 explained the math grading as this (It doesn’t make much sense to me either, to be honest):
So, you accumulate points throughout the semester. Exams, homework, quizzes (that’s it for me). At the very end of the semester, you’ll have so many points. There will be a certain cutoff for an A+.
Now, the recitation comes into play. In your recitation, let’s say 8/25 people get an A on the final. Now, those 8 A’s will go to those with the highest point totals below the cutoff.</p>

<p>It’s a screwy system in my opinion; a general curve would be more idealistic. But Purdue seems to pride itself on the it’s lack of grade inflation (Which is rather damaging, in my opinion), so… this is the way they see fit to give you grades.</p>

<p>This is all per my recitation instructor. I believe that it is the same ideal for most major math classes (MA 153/154/158, 165/166, etc.)
Looking at myself, I’m sitting on an 89.6% in my math class. With a general curve, I would almost, without a doubt, receive an A. However, even I am doubting whether I will get an A in the course, even though I believe I will. You can see why I don’t like this system.</p>