Whats the IB program like?

<p>NYU loves IB students. IB starts off easy, then when all of the IA’s, IOP’s, and assignments start to have the same deadline, it gets crazy. IB can be easy with the right schedule, but as with everything you can’t procrastinate or NOT study!</p>

<p>I know some friends that can really time manage and go to sleep at 12 :(.
However, students like me use collegeconfidential to procrastinate. Haha</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>I agree with the above poster :slight_smile: I’m about to finish the first semester, but it has been pretty fine so far. I’ve heard to starts to get hard this upcoming semester and senior year, so I don’t have great insight into it yet.</p>

<p>Hope it’s not too bad, but most students have a lot of work to do at certain times.</p>

<p>There is quite a lot of work</p>

<p>There will be times where it gets super tough with IAs, EE, CAS stuff. </p>

<p>It’s not impossible :slight_smile: Writing IB on college apps is nice. Colleges love rigor.</p>

<p>It’s not that the work itself is extremely hard, it’s more like you have a lot of work. Plus being involved in EC’s makes it more stressful.</p>

<p>Would taking IB certificate classes and AP’s be considered less demanding than a full IB diploma?</p>

<p>IB kinda blows, its not worth it, unless your school looks down on you for not doing IB.</p>

<p>IB Blows? Cute.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I have to say that PROBABLY taking IB Certificates and AP classes would be less stressful in some ways. But you have to deal with two different types of learning styles. But on the other hand, you wouldn’t have to deal with CAS, EE, and the other miscellaneous things they make people in IB do. On a college app, idk for sure, but it might look like you weren’t able to commit or didn’t want to do the work of the full IB diploma. Ultimately it’s up to you and your style of learning.</p>

<p>It depends on the college/program, but our experience is that doing only IB certificates is looked down upon if you have the opportunity to do the full diploma. It’s not considered “the most rigorous course load available.” One college rep who visited our school said that when they see certificates only, the first thing they ask is why the student didn’t go for the full diploma, and they consider it “lazy” (her word). We don’t have APs at our school, though, so I’m not sure how they would balance things out. One of the attractions of the full diploma is the time management/coping skills you develop that prove you’re capable of managing college life.</p>

<p>IB tests are different than AP…all essay. If you don’t like essays, it may seems to be harder than the AP tests.</p>

<p>Our D took both AP exams and IB (full diploma). In general, she thought the IB exams were easier…but she loves essay tests.</p>

<p>If you have good time management skills and do not procrastinate, IB should be quite manageable. According to our school ideal candidates are self motivated, like to be challenged, are strong readers, complete assignments in a timely manner, possess strong writing skills, and work well independently. The students in our school who earn the diploma will tell you that they are very very well prepared for college. In IB there are not only tests, but there are also a lot of papers, presentations, and discussions that factor into your grade. A full diploma student takes 6 classes ( HL and SL), as well as the extended essay, TOK, and community service. Once again, sorry for rambling.</p>

<p>It’s amazing. It builds you up as a person and helps you to find your true passions. At least at my school, many of the teachers are wonderful, and I would never regret doing IB.</p>

<p>I definitely agree with many of the previous posts. The IB diploma is definitely considered to be the most rigorous curriculum available, and colleges specifically look to see if students are challenging themselves. I agree that doing an IB certificate is not going to be looked at in the same way as the IB diploma.</p>

<p>My daughter is a perfectionist and is used to working hard. She typically comes home from school and works for another 7 hours. She works at least 10 + hours on Saturday and Sunday ( 20 total). All of this studying is totally unnecessary, but I feel that when she starts IB she won’t be shocked by the work.</p>

<p>I think that IB has helped me to become a very open-minded person! It’s not difficult or anything. There’s a lot of work. I think it pays off in the end because you learn so much and fellow IB-ers become family to you. I’m studying for my IB exams right now and it’s driving me nuts, but it’s nothing too bad.</p>