What's your favorite thing about Bama?

<p>I’m visiting campus this week. I’m from Washington State, and I’ve been accepted to honors and awarded the presidential scholarship, and now all I need to seal the deal is to fall in love with the school. What do you love about it? What’s unique? What areas on or around campus are a must-see? Anything I should do while I’m in Tuscaloosa? I’m a little nervous I’m not going to like campus, because it just all seems too perfect. Reassure me that it’ll be great!</p>

<p>I have many faves…and my S I’m sure has many (and different) others. But this one just happened this weekend. </p>

<p>My S planned to take the airport shuttle back from B’ham, and his plane was ahead of schedule, so he could have caught the 1 pm shuttle, instead of the 4 pm shuttle that I had bought a ticket for. The ticket explicitly said no exchanges, refunds, etc. Just by chance, I had him call the number that was listed on the ticket if you had problems (which he didn’t really have - he just wanted to switch to the earlier shuttle), and Robbie said IN VERY TYPICAL ALABAMA fashion: ‘of course that is no problem.’ </p>

<p>In a world where there are many roadblocks, the world at UA just does not have any, it seems. There is little red tape; people do the ‘right’ thing by others; and it is generally a very stress-free place to attend a large school. You are not treated as a number, but repeatedly made to feel special. You are right to feel apprehensive about things appearing too ‘perfect’. When others hype up things, it is easy to think that you might be the first to not be as wow-ed, but somehow at UA, you will be - you will be the one telling some small story on this forum someday, it will be just that perfect. Relax and enjoy the magic on your trip. Don’t over-analyze. You will not need others’ reassurance. You’ll have your own!</p>

<p>First: Welcome and as we like to say, “The visit seals the deal!”. I have every confidence that you will enjoy your visit and walk away wondering, “What was I worried for?”.</p>

<p><strong><em>Just a reminder to other students to make arrangements in advance of your visit</em></strong></p>

<p>Now, I hope that you have gone ahead and scheduled your visit through the Honors College. Normally you would have already sent an email and made arrangements, if you have not, then at this late date, you will have to call and hope that they can arrange something personalized for you: so if you haven’t made plans: CAll ASAP MONDAY
Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Tell them your possible major and any career interests (including med, law, etc)
Include anything particular that you would like to see. </p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>If you have already done this, great!!!</p>

<p>Some of the things that I like most about The University of Alabama:
-Visiting Nott Hall (Honors College) and enjoying the “Southern Hospitality”
-Visiting The Natural History Museum
-Listening to Denny Chimes on The Quad
-Taking a stroll across campus and enjoying the pleasant weather while watching the smiling students
-Buying lots of stuff at the SUPE Store (to bring home)
-Admiring the well maintained campus
-Wonderful professors (ask to sit in on a class)</p>

<p>What students like:
-Getting a cup of coffee from Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks
-Relaxing at The Ferg, hanging out with friends
-Lots of good dining options, visit The Strip for close (off campus) dining
-The ease of getting around campus, simply walk or hop on The Crimson Ride buses (yes, you can use them as a visitor)
-Bryant Denny Stadium and the tailgates… FOOTBALL!!
-Lots of clubs/activities/places of worship
-outstanding residence housing (go visit while on campus)
-The terrific Recreation Center with pool and rock climbing wall (go see it)
-The many beautiful libraries (visit Bruno Library if you have time)
-making friends
-having lots of opportunities
-great classes and priority registration as an honors student</p>

<p>Oh, and the people…you will have to see for yourself. Have a great trip and we would love to hear back from you.</p>

<p>It WILL be GREAT! T-Town seems to be a bit addictive. My D is a current freshman and while she had a fabulous trip home for Thanksgiving, she told us that she is so thankful that Christmas break won’t be as long as many of her friend’s schools. She said that she would hate to be away from UA for soooo long! Did we take offense? No, of coarse not, we are ecstatic that she is so happy at her new home.</p>

<p>Enjoy your visit! Roll Tide!</p>