When do an International student get an Harvard Interview

This year I applied to REA to Harvard university and on my application portal it says that in my area interviewer are limited and if admission committee wants more information they will contact me, does this mean I’ll never get an interview and is this an early sign that my Harvard application is rejected?

It means you may get an interview or you may not get an interview. If you never get an interview, as an international in a country with limited interviews, then you should assume that your chances of acceptance hover between very slim and none.

1 Like

What is the latest possible date that one can hope for an interview? Till what date can I keep my fingers crossed

And is there any international student from South Asia who got Harvard Interview?

Hi,

I’m from the middle east (no interviewers available in my country) and got an email from my admissions officer today.

On another website, I saw that a Canadian who got an interview, but I guess there are more interviewers in Canada than in the middle east.

I don’t know about other applicants from Asia/middle east though.

For international applicants interview is always a great sign, since most of the times it is either conducted by an AO who is interested in the applicant or by a contracted agency who is paid to gather this required info for acceptance.

1 Like

@jzducol if I don’t get an interview till 20-25 should I believe that my application has been rejected?

@Tabasom on which date did you submit your application?

I submitted it on Nov 1

@Tabasom good luck with your Interview, I hope I get it as well.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I hope you get it, but on Harvard’s website it’s been stated that not receiving an interview doesn’t affect your chances of admission, so don’t worry!

*Also don’t forget to check your “spam folder”

@Tabasom It says it won’t adversely affect your application. Actually getting an interview is an early sign that admission committee is considering you for admission. Did you got email in spam folder?

Actually, I didn’t get it in my spam folders but two other students who were contacted for an interview told me that emails were in their spam folder.

RE: "Actually getting an interview is an early sign that admission committee is considering you for admission. " Every application is “considered” for admission. The interview is a snowflake on top of mountain of application evidence that the committee considers. The interviewers are not “trained” in any way, and many of them never even went to Harvard undergrad – they are just there to see if the candidate is total weirdo (but those people apply to MIT anyway).

@Tabasom Can I know from which country those two other students are?

@Rouzbahani @HYPSM2024 Hi again!

One of them was from Canada and the other from a middle eastern country.

Thanks @Tabasom !

@Tabasom Although this was not my question, can I know if the middle eastern applicant was Iranian or not?
Did he/she apply this year?

1 Like

It’s true that every application is “considered” for admission, but a much smaller number are “seriously considered” beyond a first reading that lasts on the order of several minutes. Those are the applicants who might get interviews.

It’s true that the interview report is one of several pieces of the application. If a candidate is under serious consideration, the interview can make a difference, and often much more than a snowflake’s difference. If the candidate is not under serious consideration, the interview will not matter at all, and the weight will be less than that of a snowflake, even less than a hydrogen atom. It will be zero.

Interviewers are not “just” trying to see if a candidate is a “weirdo,” they are evaluating personal characteristics, including the depth and commitment to extracurriculars and intellectual spark.

It is incorrect to state interviewers are not “trained” in any way. I’m not sure where that rumor comes from. Some interview committees have extensive training, and many have some training. Others offer little to none, but the interviewers read and refer to the interviewer handbook.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Harvard Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission