When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

@Acatalepsy- If you read through other posts on this thread, you will see that:

-Colleges will not rescind for a grade-drop like yours. It’s D’s, F’s and, sometimes, a full slate of A’s that plummets to a full slate of C’s that they’re concerned about

-Colleges will look at both semester grades and final grades but it’s the final ones that they care about most. If the semester grades go WAY down, the college folks will probably issue a warning that they expect improvement by the end of the year.

Would a college rescind an acceptance if I drop an AP class from my schedule before graduation? Like I applied with listing 5 ap classes, but if my final transcript only shows 4 or 4 and one partially completed without the test being taken, what would happen?

Depending on which class you drop, it’s definitely possible that a college will rescind an acceptance if you don’t notify the admission office and ask permission. Dropping a significant core class (e.g., your only math or science this year) would probably be more of an issue than dropping AP Psych, Econ, Music, etc. But, even so, I would advise against making ANY changes without checking first. And, if you already DID drop the class, you better explain why you did it NOW rather than waiting to get bad news in July, once the college folks have evaluated your final transcript. (You won’t necessarily get rescinded for dropping a core class but you just better give the college a heads up.) Not taking the AP exam is not a big deal but dropping the class entirely MIGHT be.

I’m more than likely attending a top-tier LAC this upcoming fall, getting accepted just two weeks ago. I messed up a test in AP Calculus class that negatively impacted me and I may end up with a C for the third marking period. Of course, colleges won’t see this, but hypothetically, if I got around a C+ for the year, would there be cause for concern? (I got a B- on my midyear report for Calculus). Additionally, I’ll probably end up with a B in AP Spanish and A’s and A-'s in everything else (physics, AP lit, etc.) I take four AP classes. I have never been the strongest math student (I am majoring in English) and I have a very difficult family situation which has worsened throughout the course of my senior year, including the illness of my father.

I will try my hardest fourth marking period to keep out of the “C” range and I’m pretty confident I can do so but I just want to know if/when there will be a cause for concern. The college is a pretty competitive school, I just want to make sure my acceptance and/or institutional aid won’t be affected.

@nickb14-You will be fine even if your Calc grades goes to a C.

I have just been notified that I may be suspended from school. The reason is that I did not submit a charter for a club at the beginning of the year and have been collecting membership dues and spending without the approval of the school. Will this suspension get me rescinded?

@PerfunctoryPeter-No, this won’t get you rescinded, assuming that the club is legit (albeit unchartered) and you aren’t spending your members’ money on video games or lottery tickets. :wink:

I recently got accepted to Berkeley and LA for chemical engineering. However, in my first semester of senior year, I got a C in Calculus BC because I messed up on the final. However, I’ve gotten B’s before in Calc AB. I have a B right now in Calc BC, and would like to keep it up, but if I do get another C this semester, would it look really bad? My BC class is not a regular BC class, and we learn stuff that second-year engineering students learn O_O don’t ask why. I should get A’s and B’s in my other classes.

Would UCB be stricter on its engineering admits because math is such a fundamental subject in engineering, and there are higher grade standards for admitting them? Thanks!

From the Berkeley Web site:

So if you have been admitted, review your Conditions to make sure you will meet them. However, to my knowledge, no UC school, including Berkeley engineering, would rescind for a C in CalcBC.

Would my acceptance get rescinded if I got a D one marking period for History, but my final year average is still a B? It wasn’t caused by me getting lazy and its actually due to a family reason and constantly having to go to the hospital.

@jjsmsk796 -Colleges will most likely never see the D and they only care about the final grade, even if they do. So don’t worry … you should be fine.

@Sally_Rubenstone - will colleges like UCI or UCSD would rescind my acceptances if I get a D in spring before I transfer? I am computer science major and I am taking two classes, java and psychology.

The condition for both UCI and UCSD states I need to hold 2.0 gpa for the last term. Even if I get a D, i would still have total gpa of 2.5 because I am getting an A in java.

Thanks

@Mravoid-The UC schools do not allow D’s for incoming freshmen, regardless of GPA. However, I don’t know if the policy is identical for transfers. Maybe someone else on this forum will chime in or you can ask on a UC forum. I do know that only a C- and above is allowed for all courses that a student needs in order to transfer. So if you’re a Computer Science major and your D is in psychology, you might be okay if you need neither the course nor its credits to be eligible to transfer. But you should really call the schools to find out. It’s better to know sooner rather than later.

@Sally_Rubenstone I got admitted to Purdue, paid my deposit and all, and am in touch with the department I got into. I’m so excited to start college but I’m extremely worried about the possibility of being rescinded. Right now I have 2 A’s and 5 B’s, but 2-3 of those could potentially turn into C’s which would bring my unweighted down to 2.8 at the worst. First semester I got a 3.2 unweighted so technically I’d end senior year with a 3.0 average in the worst case. Is this anything to worry about? Those three Bs are almost borderline, but to my defense, 2 of them are honors classes so technically it’s still B’s.

Part of this is due to some medical related emotional stress and depression such as stress from skin issues which diverts my mind from tests and stuff and is preventing me from being able to concentrate. Though this sounds like too much of an excuse, do you think it would be convincing if I brought it up?

Tl;dr: If I end second semester with 2A, 2B, and 3C in worst case scenario, is this in the danger zone? What I’ve been hearing so far is “no D, no F” is the general rule.

@sally_rubenstone I plan to attend NYU in the fall. I was wondering, will NYU see my final IB exam scores once they come out in July? Or do they only see the final transcript that my school finalized in February?

@HopefulBadgerPlz-You should be fine even if you get those C’s.

@ccvb1013-If you do not list a university’s name on an IB transcript request form, then the college will not get your exam results UNLESS your high school counselor sends them automatically anyway. That’s a question for your counselor. However, your school should not have finalized your transcript in February (unless you finished early and are not in school this semester). Colleges expect high schools to send an end-of-year transcript, usually in June or July.

@sally_rubenstone Thanks. It just so happens that my school finalises final transcripts around then because we’ve mostly finished our IB coursework. So thats the set of grades that will be sent in June.

What are the chances that UCSB will rescind my acceptance? My grades senior year are terrible due to being my parents’ main caretakers because they have cancer. I also wrote about it in my personal statement. Worst case scenario, I will get two F’s but in classes that I don’t exactly need (Vietnamese 4 IB/SL and medical chemistry).

@anth97-I’m sorry to hear about the stressful situation at your home and hope that your parents are doing well. This is an extenuating circumstance that you need to discuss on the phone (or, better yet, in person–if you’re close enough) with your UCSB admissions rep, so call the admission office and make an appointment. Keep in mind however, that, even if the admission officials are willing to overlook your F’s due to the problems at home, they will still be concerned about whether or not you will be able to focus on your schoolwork once you start college. So you should be prepared to discuss what will be DIFFERENT next fall so that you won’t be responsible for caring for your parents and thus neglecting your studies. Hopefully your parents will be much improved and back to their usual routines by the time you start college. And if this is the case, you will need to emphasize it when you speak with the admission officer. Good luck to you and to your parents.