When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

Hello! I was accepted at an honors college at my local state school and I am wondering if I am in danger of getting rescinded. For the 3rd Quarter, I had 1 C, not slacking off its calc, 1 B, and 4 As, and the overall average is a B+. However, on my midyear report, I had straight As. I’m scared because I have heard that people have got academic probation for having a B. However, my overall average is still an A except for one class.

Hi I was wondering about how AP scores affect whether or not a college rescinds someone? If someone would have received considerably low scores like 1’s, 2’s, or 3’s, will that affect the decision? I know that GPA is definitely something that colleges look at, but I just wasn’t sure about AP test scores.

Hello, I got accepted to UPenn but unfortunately my IB points have dropped from 38 to 33 for the last quarter of senior year. I am worried sick that my offer might get rescinded. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

@Water101-You should be fine
@ihopeIgetin11- You are not required to send your AP exam scores to colleges
@neptuneking-This does not seem like enough of a drop to cause problems. If you are slacking off, then work harder for the remaining weeks. If the classes are simply becoming tougher but you are still making an effort, then your teachers can attest to your efforts, if Penn questions you … but I doubt very much that it will come to that.

Sally i need help. Im afraid i am going to get rescinded from ucsc! I am currently taking college classes at a cc durng my senior year at high school. I finished my a-g courses and still in the progress of doing my senior lit and history.classes. however.in this program i faled my math class at cc (didnt need math credits)so i retook it in the winter quarter. Afrer passing i notified the college by showing them my classes and how i failed math and passed the second.time. the thing is…the changes in classes.dont.match my classes that i put on my application so its considered a “drop”.im greatly afraid that i will be rescinded.

Sally, my senior D2 is struggling with serious anxiety. She has been accepted to a top 15 LAC and at this point plans to defer admission for a year to work on the anxiety. She has had excellent grades thru the middle of senior year but is struggling to complete work since New Years and is scared her admission will be rescinded. I emailed the admissions office to find out how gap years work and what would happen if grades drop–the gap year is do-able, but about the grades he said “Academic performance is certainly of grave concern. Admission to **** is contingent upon completion of the final term with a strong academic and personal record. If D2’s performance has dropped markedly, the offer of admission could be in jeopardy. We will closely review the final transcript, as we do for all enrolling students.”

Given that she is dealing with mental illness and that she will be taking a gap year, would they really rescind her admission if grades drop? And if so, what are our options?

@chubbytea20-This is a job for your guidance counselor. He or she should contact your UCSC regional rep to explain your situation. It sounds like you go to a CA high school which means that your counselor is probably already in touch with the UC reps. Even if you are taking your classes at a community college this year, I assume that you are still officially matriculated at your high school and thus have a school counselor. Is this correct?

@2eMomof2-First of all, I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I’m sure it’s very stressful for you as well as for your daughter. I really think that there are two related issues here. The first one is:

How do you ensure that you daughter keeps her spot at her college, despite the anxiety that is affecting her usually-good grades?

And the second issue is: Is this “top 15 LAC” the right path for her? What role did earning those great grades and positioning herself for this acceptance play in her anxiety problems? And now that she’d been admitted, how apprehensive is she about actually being there in a few months?

So, as you’re fighting to keep her spot, I suggest that you concurrently ask, “Does she really want it? Is this the best route for her?”

As you’re considering all of this, I think the next step is for you and your daughter is to meet with her guidance counselor to suggest a “proactive” path that might preempt a potential rescinded admission. You can ask the guidance counselor to recommend to the college that, regardless of her final grades this spring, your daughter should:

1. Defer her admission for a year, paying the requisite deposit to hold the spot
  2. Receive therapy for her anxiety during her gap year
  3. Undertake other constructive activities during the year ... volunteering, working, and taking a class each semester at a community college or local four-year school

Then, next spring, the therapist can submit a report to the college that verifies that your daughter is ready to start college full time, if indeed she is. Your daughter, too, can write a statement in the spring that describes her progress during the gap year. If the therapist and your daughter attest to the college that your daughter is ready for this next step, then the college will allow her to enroll, despite the decline in her grades this semester.

This will also give all of you some breathing room and a chance to step away from the pressure cooker and decide whether the road your daughter is following is really the right one for her.

If, however, your guidance counselor is fairly useless, your daughter may need to contact the college and propose this plan herself.

Best wishes to you as you proceed.

@Sally_Rubenstone I was admitted to unc uva and william and mary. I had basically all as until this year. I was admitted with 1 c on my semester transcript. I have Bs in all of my core subjects but I may finish with Cs in two challenging electives and a C in ap physics. Will these grades affect my admission?

@natsfan13-I don’t have a crystal ball, but my guess is that you may get a letter expressing displeasure with your downturn but it shouldn’t be any worse than that.

I was admitted to Auburn University with a 4.0 W gpa, having about one C per semester with the rest As and Bs. This semester I’ll probably have three Cs (out of eight classes). My gpa for this semester will be probably around a 3.125 (worst case) to a 3.875 (best case) both weighted. I have a 35 ACT. Should I be worried? Might I be rescinded?

Hey, @Sally_Rubenstone, I saw that you were helping others, so I thought that maybe you could help me out, thanks so much in advance. I got accepted to UCLA for CSE (computer science and engineering). The provisional acceptance states the following:
"Complete your senior year program with the same high standards you have demonstrated thus far. You must complete the senior year academic classes listed on your application with at least a minimum overall unweighted B average.

You must notify our office if, in your senior year, you receive two or more C grades; you receive any D or F grades; or your class schedule changes. See “Contacting UCLA” section below. "

I got straight A’s throughout high school, including first semester of senior year (1 AP class sophomore year, 6 APs junior year, and 5 this senior year). However, this second semester, I think the worst case scenario would be straight Bs with one C, but more likely, 2 As, 2 Bs, 1 C. The C may go up to a B, but that’s the general thing there. Would I be rescinded?

@undeuxtroiscat - I doubt you’ll get rescinded but you may get a warning,especially if you get 3 C’s in your core classes. If you have an excuse for this downturn (other than Senioritis) you should have a chat with your guidance counselor now so that s/he will be ready to explain your grades to admission officials, should it become necessary.

@IAmTheGOAT -If you don’t make the B average, then you will need to notify UCLA. If you end up with 2 A’s, 2 B’s, and 1 C, UCLA may not do anything about it,but the UC schools can be strict when students don’t meet their benchmarks. If I were you, I’d put on a full-court press to turn that potential C into a B. Talk to your teacher about extra-credit options or getting extra help before the final and explain why you’re so worried.

I was admitted to the UMN in February. My school has a block schedule and for my final grade first semester I got a C+ in AP Stats (was a B the previous term). Now this semester I am worried that I will be in the C range for Calc (not AP) and/or Japanese. There is still a month of school left but I don’t want to submit my deposit at the if I think I am going to get rescinded… my current GPA is a 3.1 and for sophomore and junior year it was below a 3 (I got mostly C’s with a few D’s and A’s mixed in. Will I be rescinded if I decide to enroll there? Thank you!!

I was admitted to VA Tech in February. I currently take 9 classes as a senior, most of them AP and IB (all except for 2 ) . When I applied to Tech, I had all A’s and B’s. But since then, I’ve gotten a C in one of my IB classes. I had an 82 average when I applied, I believe that by the time I finish up this year my average will be a 78 or 79. Aside from that, all of my other grades are 85+, mostly A’s. The reason I’m so worried is, I got accepted into their competitive architecture program. My parents have been telling me I’ll definitely be rescinded. What are my genuine chances of that happening?

Thank you for your help!

@yaygiraffes -How can you think you’ll be rescinded if the admission folks already saw “mostly C’s with a few D’s …” on your transcript? You should contact the admission office just to put your mind at rest, but as long as you don’t have ALL C’s … or ANY more D’s … you should be okay.

@SevereWorrier -Unless your acceptance letter specifically gave you a final GPA that you must meet and you’re not meeting it, then your downturn is not significant enough to warrant a revoked acceptance.Your parents must be even more severe worriers that you are … or they’re just trying to scare you into keeping your nose to the grindstone for the rest of the semester (which isn’t an awful strategy). :wink:

yes, but she says “she can’t help me and the only thing i can do is just fill the form and call them”. I thought counselors were able to contact the uc’s and help students, but base on the way she said it… i feel like it is up to me in talking to the uc.

@chubbytea20 -I just explained your next steps at length in a private message, pointing out also that the
big issue here isn’t just that you CHANGED classes (which most colleges are fussy about but the UC schools tend to be ESPECIALLY fussy about) but, more significantly, that you took a LESS RIGOROUS load than the one indicated on your application. So you need to contact your UCSC admissions rep right away, as I instructed you in the PM.

@Sally_Rubenstone Does UCLA revoke acceptances more often than NYU in your experience?

@smouf3 -Yes, UCLA does revoke more often in my experience, but this “experience” is merely what I hear through the grapevine (or read on College Confidential!) so I don’t know if it has any statistical accuracy.