When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

@hoshjoshe -It depends on how those final exam scores are conveyed to colleges. When a student in the US does badly on final exams, this downturn will usually be reflected in the final course grade, but the exams themselves may not make a huge difference if the other work in each class has been strong right up until exam time. And, in fact, the colleges may not even see those final exam scores at all. At my son’s high school, for instance, the final exam only counted for 10 percent of the final grade, so a student had a lot of leeway to screw up the exam and still get a good grade in the class.

Admission officials look at final grades, not at final exam scores. BUT … if these exam results are the ONLY final grades that your college will see (which is common in schools outside of the US), then it’s very possible that you will receive a warning or even a rescinded admission due to the extent of your slip. It will also depend on how that total score of 60-70 percent came about. If you did decently in all of your subjects except you failed one miserably and got, say, a 0 (and you have an explanation of why you failed it), you’ll probably be better off than if your exam scores are 60s or 70s across the board. It will also depend on where those 60s or 70s put you in the context of your class. In some overseas schools, the exams are graded rigorously and not on any “curve,” so the top student in the class may receive an 80.

Some high schools, however, do not send exam scores to colleges at all. So if you get OTHER, BETTER final grades–besides the exam scores–it would be wise for you to ask your school counselor or school administrator to send these other final grades but not the exam results.

I am currently taking 4 APs (Chem, Calc a/b, Comparative Government, and AP English Literature) Last semester I had one B in Chem and one C in math (two of the subjects I honestly suck at). This semester I might end up with a B in comparative government also. However all of my other grades are As. Do you think UCs will rescind me? My GPA is 3.87. I didn’t get these grades because of senioritis but its’s because I’m really not a math and science person…

@Sally_Rubenstone Thank you very much for your response. I’ll add more details to it. At my school, the final exams are given 100% weightage. So literally, it doesn’t matter whether I secure 110/100 in my mid-term exams or fail at them.

The reason I’m afraid is that a couple of weeks ago, I lost someone very close to me and am quite worried that I won’t be able to perform to the extent that others (especially college) hope from me. I’ve got into an ivy league college (early action; Harvard) but at the same time, afraid that my grades will slip to 60-70% from 90%. (BTW, 90+ is considered excellent/exceptional while, 60-70 is kinda average).
Do you think that reason would justify my grades? And at the first place, do you think I will even get a warning for getting 60-70%?

@hoshjoshe -Congratulations on your Harvard acceptance but condolences on your loss.

You probably should write to Harvard now and explain any possible downturn. But before you do, send me a private message and let me know more about the loss and how it’s affected you. Then I can advise you as to whether you should contact Harvard before you hear from them (and you may not hear from them but it’s very possible with such a downturn).

UC schools rescind for grades BELOW a C or when the GPA is below 3.0

Hey Sally,
I’ve been accepted into Georgetown ea along with a number of other schools, and I’m pretty intent on going there(unless I get into Harvard Hey Sally,
I’ve been accepted into Georgetown ea along with a number of other schools, and I’m pretty intent on going there(unless I get into Harvard

Hey Sally,
I’ve been accepted into Georgetown ea along with a number of other schools, and I’m pretty intent on going there(unless I get into Harvard hahahah). Anyway, I have a pretty heavy courseload with ap physics C, Ap French, ap Lit, Ap calc BC, Ap comp gov, Band and woodworking. I’m killin it with high A’s in the the last 3 classes I mentioned but worst case scenario, I’m in danger of getting a C in Physics and French, and a B in Calc and Lit. What do you think my chances of getting rescinded would be?

@Garybarry - I don’t have a reliable crystal ball (I do have one … it’s just not reliable :wink: ) but I could see you getting a warning with 2 C’s but probably nothing worse.

To be on the safe side, I suggest that you make some documentable effort to pull up those French and Physics grades. By "documentable (a word that Spell Check doesn’t like!), I mean attend extra help sessions with your teacher, sign up for peer tutoring or ANY tutoring, ask the teacher about doing extra-credit projects, or make some other clear attempt to improve. That way, if the Georgetown admission folks contact you about apparent slacking, you can prove that you did at least try to pull up your grades.

You didn’t say how many A’s vs B’s vs C’s you had on your transcript at the time that Georgetown admitted you, but it sounds like you’ve made a downturn in all of your rigorous courses, so do put some time into improving and certainly don’t slide any further.

Hello,
Got accepted to Boston University ED. Grades aren’t looking too good right now. Might potentially end the semester with 3 C’s in AP Psych, Honors physics, and honors Calc. Rest of the grades are B’s in English IV Honors, AP Gov, and honors Econ. Do you think I will be rescinded or be put on academic probation? Thank you so much.

@student697832 - This sounds like a warning letter and nothing worse but it’s impossible to even guess responsibly without knowing what your grades looked like in the past. For instance, are these your first C’s or does your transcript include C’s already? And what was your GPA at the time you applied?

Hi Sally,
I got accepted to Case Western with a 3.4 weighted gpa and a 35 on the ACT. I am also an athlete so I was supported through admissions. I finished my first semester of senior year with an C in AP Chemistry, an A in weightlifting, a B in Calculus AB, an A in guitar, a C in AP English Lit, and an A in Economics. This semester I am struggling a little bit to balance a new job, school, and soccer so the best grades I can hope to finish with in AP Lit is a C- and a B- in AP Chem. Am I in trouble?

Thank you.

@speedycaracol-You are probably not in trouble but, since you’re a recruited athlete, it wouldn’t hurt to write to the coach and tell him/her what you’ve said here. Mention that you bit off more than you can chew with the job, school, and soccer and that you’re working to get your equilibrium. Ask if the coach anticipates any problem with the admission office. I think the answer will be no, but you’ll get more accurate information from the coach than you will from me.

Hi Sally,

I got accepted to Texas A&M University. I’m from India and am taking the CBSE syllabus. We have a final exam that counts for 100 percent of our grade and am worried that I might get around 60-70 percent. My midterms were in the 80s. I got a 32 on my ACT as well. Should I be worried about my offer being rescinded?

@veda101 -While I can’t predict your fate for sure, at a huge school like Texas A&M, it’s not likely that your dip in final test results will result in a rescinded acceptance. And colleges in general don’t like to lose committed applicants, especially those–like you–whose ACT results help to bring up the school’s median and whose nationality and/or ethnicity will bolster the diversity stats. So I think you should be okay even with the downturn.

Are you also a full-pay student or did you receive a scholarship?

I’m paying my own tuition. I am trying really hard for these tests. They are just so hard.

@veda101 -The fact that you’re paying your own way adds to the likelihood that you don’t have to worry about your acceptance being rescinded. I think you’ll be fine though I have no way of knowing for sure. If you DO hear from the admission office about the drop in your exam scores, just tell them what you said here --that you’re trying hard but that the tests are hard, too. As I said above, you should be fine.

Hey Sally, I’ve had a lot going on mental health wise and it’s been a tough quarter for me; I ended up with 3 B’s, 2 A’s on my mid-year grades. I had A’s in AP art and AP Lit, B’s in APES, Honors Calc, and AP World.

I was accepted into Bard, where I’d really like to go, and still have an entire quarter to fix things, but if I end up with 2 C’s (am within a point or 2 of being a B), is my future there at risk? I intend to fix things and end up without any C’s, but I’m worried.

@walkbanx -If you end up with 2 C’s, you might receive a warning letter but I doubt your acceptance would be rescinded. But should you hear from Bard … and if you are asked by Bard to explain your downturn … be wary about what you say regarding your mental health. You don’t want the admission folks to worry that you’re in a precarious situation that may worsen once you face the challenges of college life. So there could be a fine line that separates what you SHOULD say to explain your drop in grades and what you SHOULDN’T say.

However, if your mental health does continue to be a concern for you, you might even consider taking a gap year before matriculating at Bard.

Hi Sally,
My situation is a bit complicated. Where I am from, the final exams contribute to 100% of my grade. In my midterms, I had 1C,4B,1A and in my junior year finals, I had 3A,2B but my counselor had explained that since these exams did not contribute to my final grade and were conducted by the school, they were purposefully deflated (My class rank was 6/500). She also said according to previous year trends, my final predicted grades should be all A’s but now, I am expecting 4A,1B and 1C which is a improvement from my midterms in 3 subjects but still not up to my predicted marks( also, there’s no class rank in my final exam). I got into Colgate and am expecting to get into one of the ivies. How will this affect me?

@AstralWanderer -From where I sit, these final results will not negatively affect your acceptances. Good luck.