When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

<p>Help?
My friend recently received a 69 in his Intro to Biology class… I’m worried that he might get rescinded from SJSU for it. Is there a high chance that he will be??? His GPA is around 2.8 I think. & he has plenty of other transferable units.</p>

<p>I talked to my guidance counselor as well as my friends who also are going there, and they said that I should be alright, particularly my guidance counselor who said they just want me to graduate and it would take you having to fail courses for such to happen. </p>

<p>I know that if I can do well on these last 2 quizzes of the marking period it can bring my grade up, along with doing well on the final. Over here, it counts for 12% of every marking period. The year is divided by marking periods at my school, and the grades so far consist of C, C-, and D+. If I got a D, then it would be in the D+ area for the year (Final not factored in), but even a high borderline D+ could get me a C-.</p>

<p>But I thank you for the advice, I’m definitely going to try to obtain a C-. :D</p>

<p>I talked to the librarian who’ve I’ve done community service for in the past and wrote me recommendation letters. He said that in the sense I was creating smoke without a fire, on the other hand, my English teacher who also wrote me a recommendation said that it was good I reached out and asked them as it showed I wasn’t just some random person going to college. Either way, both said that if I don’t get a response to just let it die and that I would be in the clear so to speak, e.g. dismissed as a overly-worried person.</p>

<p>What do you all think?</p>

<p>Senior year, first semester, I got almost straight As, and a B in Computer science. But having pretty much given up in computer science, my grade is DEFINITELY dropping to a C…Maybe even D range. My other classes are all consistently As/Bs, do you think I can explain that Comp sci just wasn’t good for me? I’m so scared I’ll get rescinded.</p>

<p>Sally . . . are you still there? </p>

<p>Son got into his “reach” after an upward trend from a 2.4 in sophmore year, to a 4.0. end of junior year. Cuim was about 3.2, with all the CC’s in one bad sophomore semester, and no honors or AP’s till senior year. </p>

<p>Got A’s and B’s this semester. but one C in AP English (due to project; A on the final). His cum GPA is certainly better, but not as good as his last three semesters. </p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Shrinkrap–the C in AP English doesn’t seem like a deal-breaker to me. Was that just the semester grade? If so, how did he do in the first semester? Was the final grade also a C? (Or is your school on the block system, with each class lasting just a semester?)</p>

<p>Anyway, given that this is your son’s first year with honors/AP classes, and that he had just a 2.4 as a soph, I doubt that the C in an AP class would trigger a rescinded acceptance. Seems highly unlikely.</p>

<p>Thank you! And that was the semester grade; B first semester.</p>

<p>Colleges really don’t like to rescind acceptances. Since all the other grades are A’s and B’s, I can’t imagine that they’ll want to rock the boat at this late date.</p>

<p>A college can rescind your offer of admission at any point.</p>

<p>If you believe there is an academic reason the school would choose to rescind, call the admissions office and ask. You’re not going to bring anything to their attention that they otherwise won’t see. Admissions policies for rescinding offers re:academics are typically published and cut & dry. It’s better to talk someone now to clarify their policies and put your mind to ease rather than holding your breath all summer long.</p>

<p>how do people pay their way in to colleges?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I disagree. Rarely are these policies “cut & dry.” Colleges commonly leave them intentionally vague so they can consider each situation on a case-by-case basis and take whichever action best meets the institution’s needs. This example from the Columbia University Web site, is typical of many: </p>

<p>Will Columbia ever rescind an offer of admission?</p>

<p>If a candidate is offered admission, Columbia reserves the right to withdraw that offer of admission if:</p>

<ol>
<li>The candidate shows a significant drop in academic performance or fails to graduate;</li>
<li>The candidate has misrepresented himself or herself in the application process;</li>
<li>We learn that candidate has engaged in behavior prior to matriculation that indicates a serious lack of judgment or integrity; or</li>
<li>The candidate is holding both a place at Columbia and a place in the first-year class of a college other than Columbia after the May 1 deadline.</li>
</ol>

<p>Columbia further reserves the right to require the applicant to provide additional information (and/or authorization for the release of information) about any such matter.</p>

<p>While #'s 2 & 4 are straightforward, #1 & #3 are more open to interpretation … i.e., what defines a “significant” drop in academic performance (lots of gray area there) and what is a “serious lack of judgment” versus typical teen bad behavior?</p>

<p>Note also that the policy states that Columbia “reserves the right” to withdraw the offer of admission. It doesn’t say, “We will automatically do it!”</p>

<p>My son’s school (which is considered “regional”,) says something like “you are expected to continue to perform at the same level”.</p>

<p>Sally, I got an update on my grades, so I thought I would post them from Junior year and Senior year’s, and was wondering if you still think the college would be fine with how I did (my counselor also said I would be alright, but I thought that I would check here as well).</p>

<p>Junior year:</p>

<p>Basic College English 3: C+
Phys Ed: A-
Sequential Algebra 2: C-
Introduction to Computer Programming: C-
AP US History 2 (weighted): C-
Conceptual Chemistry: D</p>

<p>Senior Year:</p>

<p>Sequential Trigonometry: D+
Civics and Government Honors (weighted): B
Basic College English 4: B-
Computer Graphics 1: B+
AP Government and Politics (weighted): C
Phys Ed: B/B+
Biology 2: C/C+</p>

<p>My counselor said that when I took my class registration, because I was placed in a remedial math class, since I got a D+ in trigonometry, that the college would put 2 and 2 together and be able to understand that math is not my strong suit. That, and the rest of my grades are significantly better than the previous years. Your thoughts?</p>

<p>Zaxara–I still stand by what I said a month ago:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Assuming that your admission wasn’t conditional (i.e., your acceptance letter didn’t say something like, “All final grades must be C- and above”), you’ll be fine.</p>

<p>All I received was an email saying that they’re touched by my medical story, and would love to have me as a student at Rutgers. Then the acceptance letter (I got it online) just said Welcome to Rutgers! Log into Enrollment Pathway to know the steps to take like paying fines and such, etc etc.</p>

<p>Thanks so much, Sally :D.</p>

<p>Nice, personal email, Zaxara. Sounds like all is well, and I wish you a great college experience (maybe math-free, too? :wink: )</p>

<p>All I need is to take one math course, Political Science majors don’t need math from what I’ve seen :D.</p>

<p>Can I get rescinded if I fail or get C’s in Concert/Marching Band, but I keep the same grades(A’s,B’s) for every other subject?
Thank you!</p>

<p>A “C” in band won’t have any impact. An “F” might, especially if you live in a state where you need a passing in grade in an arts area to graduate and this is your only shot. Also, colleges MAY be concerned about what caused you to do so badly and will wonder if there are underlying issues they should be worrying about. I suggest that you make every possible effort to get at least a “C” and not an “F.” (Certainly your band teacher must need sheet music organized or can come up with other “extra credit” chores.)</p>

<p>Bad grades and bad behavior.</p>