When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

@ForceVector -I’m not an expert on this situation and don’t want to mislead you. So I think you should talk to the UC Davis admission office and/or to your junior-college transfer advisor to be sure that you can withdraw from a required class without jeopardizing your enrollment at Davis.

You should have a Provisional Contract from Davis. (Do you?) What does it say about completing major requirements at the JC? Does it say that youit MUST complete Differential Equations NOW or does it just say something like, “Complete as many of these courses as possible before transferring?” If the latter, you should be okay to drop the class, but I would advise you to NOT drop it until you confirm that it won’t affect your transfer. If you find out that you might lose your spot if you drop the class, talk to the math teacher about ways that you can boost your grade via extra credit, extra help, etc. Often when a professor knows that a struggling student is making a real effort to stay afloat, the teacher will go out of the way to work with the student to make this happen.

Hey,
I got accepted into UNC as a transfer student from a community college. Up until this semester, I’ve gotten mostly A’s with two or three B’s and one D (missed an exam for a class due to extenuating circumstances and proffesor would not let me make it up). This semester, I’m taking Calc II, Physics and a an intermediate language class. I have a B in the language class, but currently a C in Physics and Calc II. I think I can still bring the Calc grade up to a B, but if I don’t and I have two C’s and one B what are my chances of being rescinded? Would they rescind for one C?

I’m hoping they’ll understand because Calc II widely regarded as one of the more difficult college math courses… Also, my uncle, who is like a second dad to me, was in the hospital for a total of about a month during the semester. During this time, since we’re the only family he has in state, I had to help take care of his two kids, on top of working and going to class. This is mainly why my grades are lower than they usually are. Do you think admissions would see this as a valid explanation? Should I contact them about this?

@sluttypenguins -Given that you already had a D on your record and were accepted anyway, then I’m guessing that UNC will let you squeak in with two C’s. But hopefully there will be only one C, and you’ll pull up the calc grade.

As soon as the semester ends, before the UNC admission officials review your grades, I do think it’s a good idea to send an email explaining your downturn as you’ve explained it here. It’s important for the admission folks to know that your low grades weren’t the result of slacking. Good luck.

Hi, I was accepted into a selective college (>10% acceptance rate) and am extremely worried about getting my acceptance rescinded. They did accept me when my Advanced Calculus grade was an all time low (C-, my first one ever!), and the rest of my other grades were fine, as I explained my reasoning for them (sickness and transportation issues) with a promise that I’d improve. We’re going to be getting final reports soon, and while I’ve been doing better in the class (getting 85’s and above), I’m not sure whether or not what I do will be enough to keep me safe(recently got a 70 on a quiz). I’m really worried I might get a bad grade on a test I studied a lot for and that will send me to the D range. I’m actually expecting more A’s for every other class, which would be an upturn from my four B’s with 1 A. I’ve already contacted them about my first semester grade in Calc, so do you think I should contact them again about this? I also want to note that I’m doubling in two advanced math electives, but I’m not planning on majoring in a math intensive field.

@eatingstars -I suggest that you put a lot of effort into this calc class and only write to your college about your grade IF the semester ends and you did not improve from the C- . But for now, focus on what you can do (extra help from the teacher? tutoring?) to do well, rather than stressing over the possibility that you’ll dip down to the D range. But, if you do dip down anyway, you should write to your college as soon as your course grade is finalized, rather than waiting for the college to contact you about it.

I think that means you are not ready for a selective college and should enroll elsewhere.

Hello I’ve recently been accepted to a selective engineering school. However, I’m worried about being rescinded. I got a F in Phys Ed (I’ve missed a few classes and attendance is a big part of the grade) and a (C+) 77 in AP Calculus AB for the third quarter. In both classes, I had As by the end of the first semester. I still have an A in the other class I take. I know I could bring up my final grades in the fourth quarter, but should I be worried that my acceptance could be rescinded?

@DPain7063 -You’d think that the college folks wouldn’t care all that much about an F in gym, but actually some admission officials take ALL grades very seriously and could rescind an acceptance when a student ditches gym and then fails. Your C+ in AP Calc is not likely to be a problem if it’s your ONLY bad grade, but flunking gym could do more damage that you might suspect. If these are just 3rd-quarter grades, then bust your butt to pull the gym grade up to at least a C. Apologize to the teacher for the slacking and then make a visible effort to not only show up every time but also to be involved while you’re there.

Alright I understand. Thank you so much for the advice.

Hey,

So originally when I started applying to colleges for this upcoming fall I had a financial hold from the first college I attended out of school. So i figured I would contact that school so I could get a copy of my unofficial transcript. Long story short, the college that I attended said that the bill would have to be paid in full for me to even get access to an unofficial transcript. At this point i thought I wouldn’t be able to apply for any schools. I eventually started looking through files at home and eventually found a copy of unofficial transcripts from that first college I attended. Now the problem was that it only included 2/3 of the semesters I attended at that first college and was also missing one summer class. My first two semesters were decent 3/3.4gpa. My last semester was my worst and did end up failing one class and i knew i also got a few C’s. I left that college in December 2016 and currently attend a local community college. Since then grades have improved. Now I knew that some of the schools I would be applying to accepted unofficial transcripts to make decisions. I spoke to my parents and they said I should send them anyway. I was a bit doubtful myself because I knew the last semester, “my worst semester” was missing from my transcript, but I ended up sending them to the schools that accepted unofficial transcripts. If it not clear, the reason I ended up deciding to submit the transcripts was because of timing. I knew that the bill would be paid in full sometime late April/early may and I would have access to the official transcripts, but that was too late for the schools I wanted to apply to. If I was to wait until late April/may it would simply be way too late for many of the schools I wanted to apply to in regards to deadlines and schools filling up. With my unofficial transcripts, I faxed another page stating, “these are my first two semesters at → (First college name).” And on my online application I did state that I attended the school up until December 2016. As of recent I’ve found out I was accepted to one of the schools I applied to. In about a week or so the bill will be paid in full so I will have access to my official transcript from the first college I attended. And I do plan on sending my official transcripts. I guess my question is basically what should I do after I receive decisions…besides sending in my official transcript…Should I send a letter stating this? Should I not say anything and hope for the best? Has anyone had experience in this sort of situation? Do you think its likely a school could rescind admission for this sort of situation?

Hi,
I was admitted to a school having previously received two C’s and one D (all sophomore year). Other than those grades my grades have been pretty solid. First semester senior year, I got 4 B’s (all AP classes) and 2 A’s. This semester, I’m worried my AP Gov grade will fall to a C from a B and my AP Physics grade will fall from a B to a C or maybe even a D. I’m also getting a B in academic English after getting an A first semester. The school also gave me a partial scholarship. Is there a chance I will lose my scholarship or even have my acceptance rescinded?
Thanks

@blackspace-You will definitely have to send in a COMPLETE transcript to your transfer college once you pay your bill and it is released. And at that point it’s certainly possible that your acceptance will be rescinded for two reasons:

First, due to your low grades that the admission officials haven’t seen yet and, secondly, because you failed to disclose them at the time of your application.

BUT … because you say that you DID tell this college that you were enrolled at the other one until December 16th (in spite of not sending a complete transcript that covered ALL of your time there), it sounds to me that this college doesn’t do a very thorough job of scrutinizing their applicants OR that one hand doesn’t know what the other is doing.

Thus, it’s also quite possible that this new college will eventually get your full transcript and won’t do anything about it.

At this point, I think your best bet is just to submit the complete transcript when it’s available and then wait to see if the college folks contact you.

While it may be tempting to NOT send in the official transcript when it becomes available, I strongly advise against this. If such an omission were to catch up with you later (which it indeed might), you could be expelled for dishonesty.

Good luck!

@acorcos -Yes, your acceptance (or scholarhship) might be rescinded if you end up with a “D” in any of your classes. If, however, you don’t get a “D” but you do get two “C” and also a “B” in a class where you’d previously earned an “A,” then you’re much less likely to have your acceptance (and/or scholarship) withdrawn. However, it really depends on the college and on other factors in your “profile” that I don’t know about. (For example, if you come from a disadvantaged background or if your application indicated that you have overcome some obstacles in high school, the college folks may be more lenient with you than they might otherwise be with a more privileged student.)

If you have specific reasons why your grades have tumbled (e.g., illness, problems at home), then you should be proactive and tell your college NOW, before your final grades come out.

Also, speaking of “final” grades–these are the ones that admission officials use to determine if an acceptance will be revoked. So if your overall grades in your classes aren’t as bad as your second-semester or fourth-quarter grades, then you should be okay.

Good luck!

@Sally_Rubenstone Understood. Thanks for the advice

Hi, typically in high school I’ve gotten mostly As with one or two Bs per year. This semester, I’m afraid I will get a C, 2 Bs, and 3 As. Do you think my selective school (less than 5% acceptance rate) will rescind me? Thanks

@anon555 -No, I don’t think so. But if your A’s are in non-core classes like band, gym, yearbook, etc. then you might hear from the college with a query about the drop in grades, but I doubt it will lead to anything worse.

@Sally_Rubenstone, if I do get the two C’s, do you think it would be overkill for me to have my academic advisor send a letter to admissions explaining why my grades dropped in addition to sending them something myself? Luckily my academic advisor and I have a really good relationship – I was the top student when I took her class, so I know she’ll vouch for me if I explain why I fell behind this semester.

@sluttypenguins -A letter from your academic advisor is a very good idea. You can still write your own letter but then she can also vouch for you just as you suggested.

@Sally_Rubenstone Hey Mrs. Rubenstone, I just wanted to update you on my situation. The update took awhile but both UCLA and UCB let me know that I was not at risk of being rescinded! I submitted my SIR to UC Berkeley a couple of days ago and am excited to go! The only thing they asked of me though is to submit letters from both my counselor and therapist to support my explanation which I am doing very soon. Thank you for all of the advice!

hello! i’ve committed to uc davis but it’s possible that i will end this semester with two c’s. can i get rescinded with these two c’s? ive heard that uc davis’s policy is that you just need a 3.0 w gpa and no d’s or f’s which i definitely will accomplish.