When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

@forms4forms5 -You’re very welcome. If you think of it, let us know what your outcome is. It could be helpful for future students who are in the same hot water that you are now. :wink:

@sally_rubenstone
Hi Sally, I am planning on attending Georgetown in the fall and am really worried about my final transcript. I’ve always done really well in math (A+) but I’m going to end up with between an 82-84 for Calculus BC on my transcript. I have A’s in every other class so that’s my only B, but I’m just worried about it since math is usually a strong subject for me. I’m a business major so I feel like it’s not as crucial as if I was a math major, but I don’t want to keep worrying. When I was accepted, I had an 88 on my transcript from history in 9th grade and an 87 from history in 10th grade, so this isn’t my first B. However, it will still be the lowest grade on my transcript for all 4 years. It should end up being an 84 so I’m hoping that with the rest of my grades being in the 90’s it will be fine. I called the school and they said that they don’t have a strict cut off with being rescinded, and that it’s case by case. Please let me know what you think could happen and what I should do. Thank you so much. (Also, I went from pre calc to BC so I don’t know if that makes a difference to admissions)

@gigirocks75 -I will stake my reputation (such as it is!) on my certainty that your Georgetown acceptance will NOT be rescinded. College admission officials seem to have a special respect for AP Calc in particular. But, really, no B or even a low B should hurt you at this point, especially because all of your other grades are fine. So don’t sweat this at all.

@sally_rubenstone
Thank you so much for your reply! Just one more question- do you think I should contact them? I was given the email of my regional counselor but I don’t want to do anything if the B won’t affect me. I feel like calling myseld out on it might look bad since it’s not a huge drop.

@gigirocks75 -NOoooo! No need to contact anyone at Georgetown over this. Let it go and enjoy your summer.

Thank you for your help and advice. @sally_rubenstone

@Sally_Rubenstone I have a question for you as I have seen on this thread you have guided others…

I am a non-traditional student (30 years old) and applied to UNC and got accepted as a transfer student. I have a 4.0 and roughly 2 years of full-time student CC work along with being a military spouse and mother to two. Now I might have my offer rescinded and I am terrified. On my commonap I did not list one of the community colleges I attended nearly 13 years ago. I did not do it to be deceptive, I was just told it was so old the grades did not matter (from a previous CC). I did not purposefully do it with ill intention. I have already resent the old transcript and written a letter to admissions and now they would like to have a phone call conference. What should I expect? I am so depressed thinking about them rescinding my offer. This has literally been my dream school since I was a little girl.

@crunchymommy - While I don’t have enough info to say for sure, I think that you should be okay. You just need to explain your omission as you have done here. It’s a confusing process and a lot of folks don’t realize that all old transcripts are mandatory when applying to any college later on.

There may, however, be some readjustment necessary to your 4.0 GPA based on the initial transcript. Also, if you applied for financial aid at UNC, it might be affected by any aid you received at your first CC. Again, there are certainly specifics here that I don’t know. But I do find it unlikely that UNC will rescind your acceptance based solely on an understandable and honest mistake. Let me know how you make out … and good luck!

Dear Sally,

I was accepted into the Northeastern In Program for engineering. However, I am on track to receive a D+ in AP Physics, which is notoriously one of the hardest courses my school offers. My grades have been slipping due to health concerns (testing for glaucoma, the issue is fixed however I was not feeling well at all during the school year). I had doctor’s note and pulled up most of my grades from Ds to Cs, Bs, and As. Except for AP Physics, as my teacher is not letting me submit the work missed due to the health concerns. I have a deep passion for engineering that I hope can continue at Northeastern. I am very worried about not being rescinded. What do you think my options are? Thanks!

@SATTHROW -You need to call or email your regional rep at Northeastern right away. (If you use email, Cc your message to the main admissions address, since this is a big vacation season). Explain your downturn in grades (especially–but not only–in AP Physics) and emphasize that your medical woes are now in your rear view mirror if you truly believe that they are, much as you’ve done here.

Because you’ll be spending your first semester abroad, NU will probably let you continue with your program and will view your semester abroad as your “proving ground.” If you do well during this quasi-gap term, then you can continue with your on-campus enrollment in January, as planned.

I can’t say for sure that this is what to expect, but because N.U. In offers a built-in opportunity for students to test the waters before beginning full-throttle campus life, my best guess is that you’ll be allowed to proceed as planned.

However, if you are NOT pro-active about contacting NU now and explaining your set-back, it will work against you.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

@lexib8-Without having a crystal ball, I suspect that you are going to be okay … IF you are proactive about your F in IB English … and ALSO about your readiness to begin your college career. (More on that in a minute.)

College folks don’t like when seniors are slackers and then, on top of that, don’t even seem to care about academic downturns. So show the admission folks at CNU that you DO care by sending an email right away to your regional rep with a Cc to the general admission office address, (The regional rep oversees applications from your high school. If you don’t know who that is–and can’t find it on the CNU web site, telephone TODAY to ask.)

Explain in your email what you’ve said here. Since it sounds like your English teacher may not be a good candidate to write a letter on your behalf, you can offer to send a letter from ANOTHER teacher that attests to your strong work ethic. You can also offer to send a letter from your therapist that says that you are fully ready to tackle college life. (CNU will probably not need these letters but your should offer.)

Frankly, I think that CNU will be more worried about your anxiety issues, overall physical and mental health, and readiness to begin college than they will about one bad grade among much better ones in a challenging course load. So your letter needs to emphasize that you went through a bad patch during the final quarter but are back on your feet now. If your health issues were largely physical health problems rather than anxiety problems and they are now under control and shouldn’t affect your freshman performance, be sure to say so.

If you can be positive about your outlook for the fall, I don’t see your acceptance being revoked due to this one poor grade. But do jump on this now. If you procrastinate, it will only work against you AND make you even more anxious. You will feel better once you’ve sent your initial email. Most students in your situation end up with good news. So I hope you do too, and please let us know how you fare. Your feedback will be very helpful to future students in these same straits.

@Sally_Rubenstone

Hi Sally,

I can see you’ve helped so many students that I was hoping you could help me. I am a community college transfer student that applied to UCLA with a 3.67 gpa as a philosophy major. Before I got accepted, I had 4 withdrawals, and two C’s. When UCLA accepted me, I reported a change where I withdrew 2 classes and replaced them with other ones because they did not apply to my major and I found them to be a bit more rigorous, 5 days later they told me my acceptance still stands. In my contract it states that I must maintain my GPA and report a drop in my academic performance (2 or more C’s, D’s, or F’s). Due to family/personal and legal issues, this was not my best semester. I got 4 C’s and 1 A in my last semester community college which dropped my GPA to a 3.39 and I reported it to admissions along with a brief explanation as to why I did poorly. When I checked my portal this morning, my acceptance letter was not there anymore and replaced with “your application is currently under review.” I am worried because in my first academic change, they did not take my decision letter away and I know UCLA accepts more people than they actually should so I’m scared this will be a chance for them to get rid of students. I contacted everyone I could think of and all they tell me is they cannot answer hypothetical situations and to just wait but I am filled with anxiety. Should I be worried???

Hi Sally,

So I got admitted to CS at uiuc with a 3.6 GPA approximately and during the second semester of senior year, I ended up with a 3.16 (3As, 1 B and 2Cs). I got a C in English and Computer science. However this was because my parents relocated in April and I lived alone for the next two months and as a result I had to clean the house and take on other routines. How likely is it that I will get rescinded for this?

Thanks in advance

@getthroughhighschool -You won’t be rescinded for this, so don’t worry.

Even so, it can’t hurt to send a brief email to your UIUC admissions rep to explain your unusual situation. Because your intended major is Computer Science and one of your C’s was in CS, it’s worthwhile to explain that you were under extra pressure this spring. I think you should point out that you had to take on atypical household duties but, above all, simply being on your own all the time was disconcerting. Then end on a positive note, saying that these two months alone had a negative impact on your GPA but you feel that they also helped to prepare you well for the independence you’ll face in college and so you know now that you’re very ready to tackle that in the fall.

@Sally_Rubenstone not sure if you read my situation but I would really appreciate your help. Thank you for your time in advanced!

@undergradstud1 -Sorry. I didn’t see your question earlier but, unfortunately, I agree with everyone else you’ve contacted about this. That is, it’s impossible to predict your outcome without being a UCLA admissions insider. Those folks will review your ENTIRE profile … not just your most recent grades but your overall personal history … and they will make a decision based on a lot of information that we outsiders cannot access.

The fact that your admission decision is now under review, however, should not be worrisome. Given your recent downturn in grades, it is 100 percent predictable that your case will be reconsidered. But this doesn’t mean that you will lose your place at UCLA (although you might). UCLA reviews the applications of ALL students who did not meet their conditional admission terms and then decides, on a case-by-case basis, if an acceptance must be rescinded.

You said that you already provided UCLA with a “brief” explanation of your drop in grades. It would be helpful to know just how brief it was. For instance, in your query on this forum you mention legal and family/personal issues. Did you spell these out for UCLA more thoroughly? If not, you should do this right away but ONLY if your explanations ought to work in your favor. For instance, if your “legal” issues mean that you were caught selling drugs or robbing a bank, then you definitely DON’T want to elaborate. But if you are entangled in some other legal morass that might paint you in a sympathetic light (e.g., a custody fight) be sure to say so. The same is true with your family problems.

Above all, the admission officials will need to be convinced that, in spite of the issues you’ve been dealing with this spring, you are fully ready to tackle a rigorous college course load. So if you can quickly drum up a recommendation from someone who can attest to this (from a community college professor or counselor, therapist, social worker, etc.), then I recommend emailing a letter of support to UCLA this week.

Good luck!

@Sally_Rubenstone Hi Sally,
so I got accepted into csusb and was just wondering if a c- would get me rescinded the c- was in Physics HP but I had already completed the a-g requirement for science apart from that my 2nd semester senior grades were (2 As 1 A- 1 B- 1 C 1 C-) when I calculate the eligibility index gpa it says I have a 3.3 so I’m wondering if this would get me rescinded the only things I could find about csusb conditional acceptance was this “The campus will monitor the final terms of study to ensure that admitted students complete their secondary school studies satisfactorily, including the required college preparatory subjects, and graduate from high school. Students are required to submit an official transcript after graduation to certify that all coursework has been satisfactorily completed.” and this “The California State University requires that first-time freshman applicants complete, with grades of C- or better, a comprehensive pattern of college preparatory study totaling 15 units. A “unit” is one year of study in high school.” I have gotten cs before but never a c- so I was wondering if this has any effect
thank you in advance

@yotie101 -Don’t worry. You’re fine. You would only be in hot water if you got a D or below or if your GPA was under 3.0. So enjoy your summer and don’t sweat this one.

thank you very much :slight_smile:

Hello, (@Sally_Rubenstone and everyone who can advise)
I have read through many of your helpful and informative responses, so thank you!
My S got his IB as 33 and has admission in Emory. While his school does not tell the predicted grades that were sent to colleges, we think those would be +6 based on his midterms. Do colleges expect any preemptive step by the student, or is it generally expected to wait till college contacts for any explanation?
Thanks