When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

@jimmy12367894 -Aren’t you the guy who sent me a private message? If so, I already answered you. If not, let me know and I’ll answer here.

@Sally_Rubenstone Hi. My son has gotten accepted in his early action schools. However his grades have slipped this year. His Ap calc grade is A for first semester and maybe a B or C second semester. The whole class is doing terrible. His physics grade is A/A+, English is A, business is A+ but his social studies elective is a C+/B depending on his final(currently a B). Is he in danger of losing an acceptance. His top choice is U conn and they don’t want a mid year just a final year, we are waiting on their decisions.

@HSinLI -I don’t see your son in danger of losing his acceptances if his grades are what you describe here … even the worst-case-scenario ones (C in calc, C+ in social studies). He should, of course, work hard to make sure that they don’t dip any lower and to try to keep them as high as possible. If he does end up with a C in AP Calc, you can ask his guidance counselor to mention in his “Final Report” in June that the whole class did badly, if indeed that turns out to be the case. Meanwhile, I don’t think he has anything to worry about as long as his grades don’t continue to drop.

Thanks

@Sally_Rubenstone I was recently accepted to Wake Forest and I’m worried about being rescinded:

AP Calculus BC - 65 (D)
AP Euro - 85 (B)
AP Lit - 82 (B)
AP Stats - 85 (B)
AP Comp GoPo - 91 (A)
AP US GoPo - 90 (A)
AP Psychology - 91 (A)

I am confident that I can keep all of my grades where they are, but I am stressing out over Calculus. How should I approach it? I have been receiving tutoring and have a good relationship with the teacher, but I am just nervous if the 65 (D) will be enough to get rescinded. No criminal activities or legal troubles, just that one D in Calculus. Should I try talking to the admissions officer or will that only make the problem worse?

@NotRescindGang -Read post #1527. The same advice applies to you. DO email your Wake Forest admission rep to explain the situation. It will NOT make the problem worse, I assure you. If the folks at Wake know that you’re not slacking and that you’re paying attention to your calc grade (however bad it may be) and trying hard to stay afloat, that will work very strongly in your favor. So let your admissions rep know what’s going on, especially including the part about the tutoring and your good relationship with the teacher.

Are you planning to major in a STEM field where a strong grasp of calculus is expected? If so, this could affect how Wake Forest views your current calc grade. But, if not, you should be okay as long as you are proactive about explaining your situation.

You are taking a pretty ambitious course load, so this should work in your favor as well.

Hi Sally,
I recently talked to you about my D in Calculus. However, I was caught cheating today and I have served a 1-day In School Suspension (ISS). How should I approach this in regards to wake forest? Should I expect my guidance counselor to tell them? Will it go on my final transcript that I send to Wake Forest? I am worried that my admission will be rescinded without even letting me have a chance to explain the incident. I never plan on cheating ever again in any class and my soul is worth more than what I just did. I feel completely terrible about how things have gone downhill these past few weeks and I just want to pick myself up and be assured that I will go to wake forest this fall. I would PM if I could for anonymity.

@NotRescindGang -Talk to your guidance counselor to ask how s/he will handle the episode with Wake Forest. Also send me a PM tomorrow (or after you’re done talking to your counselor) explaining exactly what you did to cheat and how your guidance counselor responded.Then I’ll advise you on next steps.

Hi ma’am, I’m an international student. I recently got accepted into a selective Liberal Arts college for a major in Economics and possibly math. I just needed your guidance as i was worried about my grades. I’m enrolled in a curriculum which has only a final term exam. So even if i study hard for them, anything could go wrong on the last day. I got predicted scores from my school as 90-95 ( Math, Econ, English ) and 85-90 ( Physics, Chemistry ). I’m just anxious that if i won’t be able to reach these scores even if study hard, due to mistakes on the day of the paper. How far can the scores of down from the predicted without being in any danger of a rescindance.

Thank you for your time in advance…

@IntStudnt213 - I can’t give you specific figures, but your acceptance will not be in jeopardy if your actual scores are somewhat below your predicted scores … especially if some (or even ALL) of the results are just a few points below what’s expected. If, however, you actually fail an exam (or get the equivalent of a “D,” that would be a different story. Likewise, if multiple scores are in the “C” range, you will probably get a warning letter … or perhaps worse. But a drop of several points on each test shouldn’t affect your acceptance at all. Good luck!

I have a predicted of a 45/45 in IB, which is a lot of pressure. Will, my application be rescinded if I fall to, say a 38 (worst case)?

@lilalzi-No, it won’t be.

I got accepted into purdue and while my semester wont end for about 11-12 weeks in 3 of my classes have dropped from Bs to Cs for the quarter. THe quarter isnt over and I think I will be able to improve at least one of them but would you say that I’m in trouble or not?

@captainjamestkirk46 - I would say right now that you’re NOT in trouble. Colleges pay attention to FINAL grades, not quarter grades. So, even if you don’t pull up any of these C’s during this quarter, if you did better in previous quarters (or expect to do better in the last one), then you shouldn’t be in trouble at all.

If, however, you do finish the year with C’s in three classes (which seems unlikely based on what you’ve said), there IS a chance that your Purdue acceptance will be rescinded, but it’s more likely that you’d just get a warning letter instead.

If your grades continue to slide, you should take measures to get back on track. Speak to your teachers about suggestions on how to improve, attend extra-help sessions if offered, engage a tutor (peer or paid), use Internet resources to help you understand the material, etc. Not only will these tactics help you to raise your grades again, but also if you keep a record of what you’ve done to stay afloat, you can submit this to Purdue if there is talk of a rescinded acceptance. College folks are much more sympathetic to students who struggle in tough classes but continue to try than they are to slackers whose grades go down due to lack of effort. So just make sure you document your effort.

Hi Sally! I got accepted to Gonzaga University and Ohio State University, currently waiting for University of Washington. I’ve been studying in US for 5 years, still a English language learner but didn’t applied as international student. I had a 3.5 GPA for first three years, all of my classes were As and Bs. I’m currently talking 3 AP classes, and for the first semester I had B, B+ and C+(first C in high school) for the three AP classes. I’m wondering are colleges going to take back my offer?
Thank you so much!

@Shirley42 -No, colleges won’t rescind your acceptances for those grades. They’re lower than your norm but the classes are challenging and the drop isn’t significant.

However, you said that you’re an English language learner who did not apply as an international student. If you are an international applicant but didn’t disclose this, then the colleges COULD rescind an acceptance if you applied as a US citizen or Permanent Resident when you’re aren’t. But if the colleges are aware of your citizenship or immigration status, you’re fine.

Hi Sally-
My son got caught with drugs at his public high school. Because of that he got kicked out of his leadership class and had to switch to study hall. He needs to notify the college of his schedule change. What should he say in email? What are the chances of his acceptance being resinded if they find out?

@California1969 - Your son will have to email the admission office and explain what happened. He needs to be very apologetic,saying that he knows he made a mistake and emphasizing what he’s learned from it. He should accept full responsibility for his actions and not blame peers for the episode. He should also insist that he doesn’t have a drug problem and that he will not be bringing drugs to campus or using them there. If he’s never been in any trouble before for any reason, he can say that too. He can even volunteer to begin the first semester on probation, just to prove how serious he is about getting off to a strong start.

I can’t say whether his acceptance will be rescinded. If the college in question is conservative it might be. It also depends on what drug he was caught with and the amount.

If his guidance counselor or principal is willing to write to the college to say something like, “This is a good kid who did a dumb thing but is very remorseful and it won’t happen again,” it will work in his favor.

Whatever happens, please assure your son that this is a tough situation but it isn’t the end of the world. Even if his college DOES rescind his acceptance, he will be able to find other options and put this behind him. Ultimately, it will probably be far worse on YOU than on him because you will probably feel the pain long after your son has moved on. But, fingers crossed, his acceptance will not be revoked. Good luck!

Hi Sally,

I ended up dropping two classes at the semester (AP Statistics and AP Physics C E/M), replacing them with Honors Health (needed to graduate) and a blank period so I can go to my internship 45 min earlier. Should I email every college accepted into / applied to and explain this? How much of an issue is this in their eyes? AP Stats got dropped because my plans to take Health class online went awry, and AP Physics just wasn’t working out for me and I feel like it was important personally to get out of it, although I’m still studying the subject on my own time alongside a few others. Will this cause me catastrophe? How should I approach the issue of telling admissions offices?

Thanks so much!
Cam