When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

@hustlewhileIwait -You need to report these course changes to your colleges right away. Admission folks do not like to find out that students have dropped classes that were on their applications–especially when the changes mean a less rigorous schedule than originally reported, as in your case.

So you need to explain the changes–and your reasons for making them–just as you’ve done here. These changes will probably have more impact at highly selective schools and not as much impact at less selective colleges. But the admission officials will view the changes in the context of your overall application and in the context of their admission standards and policies.

Bottom line: These changes MIGHT lead to rescinded acceptances at colleges that already accepted you (or to denials at colleges that have not yet replied) or they may not. But you need to find out NOW and not wait until July when the college you plan to attend receives your final transcript and says, “Never mind!” Good luck!

Hi Sally. My son dropped Computer Science in the beginning of the year, the teacher was terrible and didn’t know the subject. It was eliminated from his transcript with no record since it was early on. All his other ap calc and physics classes were there. He was accepted to his colleges and we didn’t think we had to notify them. But from the post above it looks like we should?

@HSinLI - A student must report a change in curriculum to colleges ONLY if he or she drops a class that was listed on the application or on a transcript submitted by the high school.

It sounds as if your son dropped his computer class BEFORE he submitted any applications. So, if that’s the case, he’s fine and need not alert his colleges to the change.

@Sally_Rubenstone The class was listed on the application since he submitted the common app early in Oct, he dropped it right before the cut off period in his high school and it doesn’t show on his transcript but it was listed on his common app.

If it’s not on the transcript, I wouldn’t worry about it unless it was AP Comp Sci and he didn’t replace it with another AP class.

Even if that’s the case, it still doesn’t seem like anything to worry about, but he should notify his colleges if he’d listed it on the application.

Hi, I was admitted to wake forest back in November under ED1. I currently take 7 AP classes this year for a total of 17 by the end of high school. I have A’s in 2 classes, B’s in 4 classes, and unfortunately a 60 in Calculus BC. I am trying my best to pull it up, but realistically, the highest I will finish at will still be a 65 or 68 at most. I wrote the admissions department explaining my situation, getting tutoring, missing school due to migraine, and the person said rescinding is viewed on a case by case basis in the summer, but she did say that if a red flag were to rise, all that will happen is that they want me to come to wake forest for a “chat” on why I got the grade I got. How should I approach all of this? Thank you everyone!

Hi, My son got a letter from Columbia college for his drop in grade in GCE A levels ? He basically got al. C inns final exam. he is recruited athlete with SAT 1460/1600 subject tests 570 and 520/600 and has been mix of Bs and Cs student in his predicted grade.
He had flu and tournament during his exam which caused drop in grades.
can you advice what should we do?

@NotRescindGang - You’re already doing all the right stuff. You just need to show the Wake Forest admission staff that you weren’t slacking in that math class and ultimately, if you do, the low grade probably won’t hurt you. You may be required to go to campus to explain yourself, but if you can provide documentation of your efforts ahead of time, you might avoid that step. Do you think that your Calc BC teacher would be willing to write a letter saying that, although you are struggling in the class, it’s not due to lack of effort? That would be helpful, as would a similar letter from your tutor.

Is calculus related to your future major or career goals? If so, the admission staff may be worried that they’re setting you up for failure if they ignore your grade in this class. But if calculus isn’t connected to your planned path, that’s another reason why the low grade won’t hurt you.

If the admission officials understand the efforts you’ve made to raise it and view it in the context of your rigorous schedule, you should be okay. Meanwhile, just keep up the communication that you’re already having with the university.

@twinkle1 - As I just said to @NotRescindGang, your son needs to do everything he can to show the admission officials that he wasn’t slacking. He can mention the flu and the tournament in his reply to Columbia’s letter, but–most important–he needs to emphasize that he’s working hard in his classes, in spite a low exam result. A “C” certainly isn’t a disaster, especially given his predictions. So he just needs to assure the admission committee that his level of academic effort hasn’t plummeted.

Hi Sally,

On my UC app, I accidentally put “Art 2” instead of “Art 1” in my sophomore year course entry, and “Art 3/4” instead of “Senior Art Studio” in my senior year course entry. The senior year mix up may be less of a concern, because I did have the chance to submit an Augmented Review form and most likely put Senior Art Studio instead of Art 3/4 on that form. I can’t access it to confirm, though. (Besides, the two courses may be pretty similar- I don’t think the school even offers Art 3/4.) I’m primarily worried about the Art 2 entry. It wasn’t intentional; I guess I just associated sophomore year with “2”. The thing is, both of these courses are applied arts and were entered as visual arts.

UCLA’s contract includes this footnote:

Your admission to UCLA is subject to cancellation if the information you submitted on your application and/or by written or verbal communication with our office does not match official documentation.

Could this be grounds for rescission from UCLA? It was an honest (stupid) mistake, but I’m scared that it would be interpreted as dishonesty :((

(P.S. I was admitted for STEM, in case that changes things, and these are 2 of 6 art courses that I took over the course of 4 years.)

@rsifut1 -Nothing to worry about here. Just so you don’t obsess about this, write to UC Admissions to explain the error just as you did above. But your acceptance is NOT in jeopardy because of this minor mistake.

@Sally_Rubenstone Thanks for the prompt reply. I’m really glad. Is it better to email them now, or to call tomorrow?

Email is better but it doesn’t even have to be right now.

deleted

Hi again,

I called the UCLA office and they said that as long as I did not try to pass off a CP course as Honors or AP, it most likely will be fine (“can’t be sure though”). However, I just realized that Arts 2 (what I entered) counts for UC credit, but Arts 1 (what i actually took) doesn’t! I’m panicking again. Is this as bad as I think it is?

@rsifut1 This is NOT bad at all. Presumably, your guidance counselor will send in your official transcript with the correct art class at the end of the year. Then UC will NOT give you credit for the art class since it was Art1 If, however, after you’ve matriculated, you see that you WERE given credit, you can just contact the Registrar’s office and explain the error.

In addition, I suggest that you write to UC via email, as I’d mentioned last night, so that there is a WRITTEN record of your correction that can go in your file. So do that, if you haven’t already, but–otherwise–stop stressing over this. You’ll be fine.

@Sally_Rubenstone Ah, I see now. In that case, I will send the email. Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

@Sally_Rubenstone I take Cambridge AS and A Levels in my school. My predicted grades were AAABB but now that exams are over, I’m a bit worried that I may have dropped to a C or even a D in the subjects that I was predicteds Bs in. Will I get my offers rescinded? thank you for all your help on this thread btw <3

@friedeggsandham -I wish I could be reassuring but I can’t. If you end up with three A’s and 2 C’s, you may get a warning but you ought to squeak by. But anything worse, especially a D in anything, could mean trouble. However, admission officials make decisions to rescind on a case-by-case basis. So they’ll look at your grades in the context of the rest of your life (e.g., What obstacles have you overcome? What special talents will you be bringing to campus? What has been the pattern of your grades over four years?) These decisions aren’t made in a vacuum. Thus, if you have a good reason or two to help explain your anticipated downturn, you should be pro-active and write to admission officials now, rather than waiting for them to contact you.

Good luck!

Hi Sally,

I sent the email a couple of days ago; it will take some time (5-15 business days) to get a response. I’m now certain that LA is where I want to go, and was told to submit my SIR and IEP paperwork as soon as possible so that housing, testing, and scheduling accommodations can be arranged in time. Is it okay to go ahead and SIR now?

Thanks!