Where are your Honors students ending up for grad school?

<p>We did the whole Honors College tour and were very impressed (I will try to get a trip report done soon:)). At this point, I have absolutely no doubt that my son can have a positive, rewarding, challenging and opportunity-filled undergrad experience at Alabama. However, I was hoping some parents can share where their Alabama Honors kids have been accepted for grad school (I am aware of M2CK’s son’s impressive med school acceptances- congrats!). Do you feel that their grad school acceptances were helped or hindered in any way by coming out of Alabama? Thanks!</p>

<p>My older son was accepted to every grad school that he applied to. I don’t think his app was hindered at all. I think his profs wrote excellent LORs, and he had very good research experience.</p>

<p>As mentioned, my younger son will be attending med school in the fall. </p>

<p>Grad school acceptance is about GRE score, GPA, GPA within major, courses taken, LORs, and ECs.</p>

<p>Many who post here on CC haven’t had kids graduate yet, so you may not get much response. Those with frosh, sophs, and jrs don’t know yet where their kids will end up. And, a number here are premed.</p>

<p>I would also be curious to know how many of the students who started in the Honors College were able to stay in honors - not necessarily from a GPA point of view, but in terms of fitting in and fulfilling the Honors requirements in order to graduate with Honors. Thanks.</p>

<p>My D is continuing on to Med School as well. She chose the DO school in our state for many reasons and will start school mid July.</p>

<p>Of her 4 freshman honors roommates. All have fulfilled their honors requirements. One has 2 acceptances to law school (Bama was one of those!) One is staying a 5th year to complete her Masters of Accountancy? and has already secured a job. The third graduated early and has started her own business.</p>

<p>Even more impressive to me is the number of kids honors or not that have landed jobs or grad school placements! Roll Tide</p>

<p>Regarding the Honors question: I don’t think my daughter (current sophomore music major) will be able to complete the Honors requirements. Her University core requirements were either satisfied by AP credit or by required classes in her major, so departmental honors classes haven’t worked out as a means to get honors credit. Her major also has required W credits so the UH writing seminars don’t work particularly well for her. Theoretically she could take UH classes “just for fun” but her degree requires 141 hours to graduate and many of her classes are one credit classes that meet six or more hours a week, so there really isn’t much time to fit anything in “just for fun” and most UH seminars that she has wanted to take have conflicted with required classes only offered at one time or required rehearsal times. She might be able to do two honors by contract courses, but is pondering whether it is worth the effort in light of the fact that she will probably still fall short in hours in UH seminars.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My son is double majoring, came in with 25 AP credits, and completed all his requirements for the Honors College last semester. He is in his 3rd year at 'Bama. He’ll likely work for a year or more before applying to grad or professional school, should he ultimately decide to go that route. (I think an M.B.A. or J.D. is likely in his future.) I don’t anticipate any problems gaining admission to desirable schools given his GPA, test taking abilities, resume, and letters of recommendation.</p>

<p>Regarding employment, he received two offers for paid internships this summer with national firms, cancelled interviews with a third national firm because he had an offer in hand, and has been asked by the firm whose offered he declined to stay in touch throughout his senior year and apply for full time employment as he nears graduation. </p>

<p>'Bama has served him well indeed.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>DH’s cousin graduated from UA, received his MD from UAB and is finishing a fellowship in transplant surgery at Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison. He will then be moving to D.C. to begin at Georgetown Univ. as a transplant surgeon and faculty member. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>DD is a junior and is not Honors due to her inability to do well on standardized tests (after multiple attempts she could not get above a 25). She could have joined the program as a sophomore but chose not to. She came in with quite a few AP’s and Dual Enrollment classes and credits. These allowed her to start her masters in Nutrition this spring semester. She was also selected for the very competitive Coordinated Program which at graduation May’14 she will have both her BS in Nutrition and her Registered Dietician. She had her choice of internships this summer…Birmingham Childrens, Monroe Carell Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt but decided to take the one offered by The University of Kansas. Her masters specialty will be Children’s Nutrition specifically Pediatric Oncology, Cystic Fibrosis and the Autism Specter. KU was the only one of the 3 that offered her the Autism component. She will spend over 300 hours this summer working side by side with an Alabama grad who has her doctorate in Nutrition. I am sure if she had applied at other hospitals she would have also had offers. Her summer is going to be an amazing experience (she has already had many Skype meetings with her KU team). All three hospitals have asked her to keep in touch and have made it clear that there will job opportunities for her if she wants them. There is some talk about a PHD.</p>

<p>^^^
Congrats to your D! :)</p>

<p>my daughter (ChemE) had an internship offer with a major oil company that didn’t work out due to scheduling conflicts. she now has another internship offer at a major chemical company.</p>

<p>not sure what is in her future (she can’t make up her mind), but i expect no trouble for a grad school spot, if that is what she chooses. she has an excellent GPA and tons of leadership through her sorority.</p>

<p>she has a bit of a hard time completing the honors requirements, due to coming in with a fair amount of credits and not being able to take honors gen ed classes. i think she will be able to finish the honors requirements, but she may need to do some honors by contract.</p>

<p>Wow you all have some amazing kids! Hopefully my UA son will do as well as your children are doing. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>DS is a junior and just finished all the requirements to apply for UA’s Manderson Graduate School as a University Scholar. University Scholar candidates have to be accepted into the graduate school. So, GMAT/GRE, statement of purpose, resume, and LOR are all required. He could graduate after next semester with a double major (Finance/PolySci) and minor (History), all his honors credits(thanks to 3 years as an OA leader) and as of now a 4.0 GPA. He is planning to go 1 extra semester to finish his master’s in Finance so as not to have an impossible load his senior year! I believe he could have been accepted to many grad schools had he applied. He has been offered and accepted a paid internship this summer with Raymond James financial. I believe his UA education is serving him well! ROLL TIDE!!</p>

<p>Our son (2nd year at UA) is currently working on updating a research project with two UA grads who had previously worked on the project. One of the grads is doing his grad work at University of California San Francisco and the other is doing his grad work at MIT, with both of those grad schools being top choices for the particular area of concentration for both of the grad students.</p>

<p>^^^That sounds great. We are hoping that son’s current research will lead to good grad school prospects, as son’s field pretty much requires a graduate degree. Hoping that next year, I can respond to this thread with some good news!</p>

<p>^^^
Montegut, since your son will be applying to grad schools this fall, is he prepping for the GRE? Also, he needs to find out if any of his colleges require Subject GRE exams because those are only given on very limited dates (I think 3 per year).</p>

<p>^^^Oh, gosh, thanks for the heads up. Better start looking into that.</p>