Where to list Education Prep Programs on UC App

Hello All,

My S22 took the ATDP UC Berkeley summer program in the summer prior to 9th grade. Is there a way to enter this info under activities on the UC app? The educational programs seem to take info from the summer after 9th grade onwards.

One more question is anyone know where to place the Music festival, camps, and orchestras that admit students across the world on an audition basis and admit them to their programs? Do these programs go under extracurriculars, education programs, honors?

I would put them under educational programs. You can call admissions and ask.

A musician with that kind of profile should be submitting an arts (music) supplement with recording/video, music resume including festivals and all music activities/experiences, and letters (2 is fine) from music teachers or directors.

OP is talking about the UC application which does not accept Music uploads, supplements or LOR’s. They would be submitted if an additional application is required for applying to the Music school.

I would put these programs in the Educational Prep.

If the student participated in the Berkeley program the summer before 9th grade than it goes under 9th grade on the UC application.

UC Forum Champion Note. This discussion has been moved to the University of California General Forum

Not all UC;s have music schools. And if the student were applying to a school of music for a BM, this question would not be relevant, I assume.

I would call admissions. For other colleges and universities, a music supplement can make a significant difference in admissions chances.

As I told the OP (privately), I don’t know much about the UC application but perhaps some contact with the music department would help.

I also suggest posting in the music major forum on this question.

1 Like

Thank you Compmom and Gumbymom, I knew you would be there for me.
Yes, UC applications will not have arts supplements. And not applying to any music schools on UC campuses.
I would call admissions and ask. From what you have mentioned, these kinds of things will go on arts supplements for private. Does that mean, they do not need to be mentioned on the common app under activities?

They can still be listed under activities.

Yes and yes.

Music camps are under extracurricular activities, so that’s where they should be. If the are selective, state so when you include them. If he had music awards, they go under academic awards.

Participating in highly selective programs help with an application, so, while Interlochen Camp is not an Academic Honor, having in activities does help with an application to colleges with “holistic” admissions.

1 Like

You have asked this question in many ways. I don’t think it matters as much as you may feel. Summer programs can be listed as educational programs. Or extracurriculars.

If you want to be really sure, you can call admissions.

I would try to find out how to best highlight your son’s substantial accomplishments in music. I don’t know if the UC application has a supplementary essay similar to that on the Common App. If so, then a description of activities and accomplishments in music might be an appropriate use of that essay.

High level participation in music shows many things besides talent: work ethic, ability to work with others, time management, and so on. Too bad the UC’s don’t allow a music supplement.

1 Like

I agree with @compmom that using one of the UC personal insight essays to highlight the students accomplishments in music will have a greater impact than where you list the EC’s. As long as these important EC’s are listed somewhere on the application, they will be taken into consideration.

Understood. As long as we cover everything either in form of personal insight questions or activities or additional information, the AOs should have a comprehensive picture of the applicant.
Great Insight, thank you!

1 Like

I think the discussion gave us the clarity we needed. We are likely to list them under Educational prep as all these camps have daily music instruction and private/master classes from faculty of music schools like IU, visiting performers from Atlanta, Houston, Pittsburgh symphony orchestras.

All-state and county orchestras will be under awards/honors and the rest will be extra curriculars.

One thing that is nagging me though, is the fact that his UC applications has so music as his activity, does this adversely affect S22’s application if he is not applying for performance? He may be interested in a combination of things and we have come far enough to think about majors yet.

No even if he is not a music major, music accomplishments can enhance his application. For one thing, non-majors contribute to extra-curricular music on campus. And as I mentioned before, a consistent and deep commitment to music over the years shows many positives about an applicant (again, work ethic, ability to work with others, discipline etc.).