Which companies are best for a career in biotechnology?

I’m interested in biomedical science and would like to work in this field. Which companies are good for my career?

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

I heard about Creative Biolabs.

I think it depends on your level of education, what you hope to do for a company, and what is expected in your job description. Most of my friends, who work in biotech, have graduate level degrees.

I would suggest that you look at Indeed or other career-related websites.

What sort of education do you have?

One daughter works in biotech. She is however less than two years out from getting her bachelor’s degree and therefore does not have a great deal of experience in the area. She had been involved in research however as an undergraduate student.

When she was looking for a job, there were quite a few companies that were hiring. Many of them are small.

One thing that helped her quite a bit was that when she was in university she discovered that she liked lab work and is good at it. She therefore got involved in research activities while in university, and got a LOT of experience in labs.

One advantage that she has found working for a very small company is that they like to make sure that they have more than one person who can do any particular lab job. Therefore they have been encouraging her to learn new lab techniques. This is exactly what she wants to do.

Also, she gets involved in discussing the results and what to try next. In research there are going to be many times when the results are not what you expected or are not what you wanted. There are a lot of things that can go wrong. Figuring out what went wrong and what went right in any particular case can be hard, but this can make it interesting. Then you need to figure out how to do better next time, or at least come up with an experiment that will teach you more to help get results going in the right direction. Also you need to document everything accurately and thoroughly. Six months later, if you didn’t document it, you might as well have not done it.

One issue that can come up in very small companies is the stability of funding. I do not know whether this is just part of the industry.

In a very different context, one MIT researcher once defined research as “you might fail”. This does seem to be inherent in trying to do something that no one has ever been able to do in the history of the world. If you are trying to find an effective treatment for a serious disease that impacts millions of people, you can expect that someone has tried and (if there isn’t already an effective treatment) failed in the past. Therefore to accomplish something worthwhile is likely to be hard. For some this is an attraction and a challenge.