Which dorms?

<p>i will be an upcoming freshmen and i was wondering what the best dorms are… i want my roommate to also be a frshmen. which dorms would you suggesT?</p>

<p>Are you interested in the Super Suites or the regular style dorms?</p>

<p>The best dorms are the Super Suites, but they are expensive - you’d have 3 “suitemates” - each having his own room in a 4 bedroom super suite.</p>

<p>The best way to make sure that your roommate is a freshman is to find your roommate first. Many kids use the roommate finding application on Facebook. Be sure to join the Alabama class of 2115 on FB.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>“Expensive” is a relative term. The fabulous super suites referenced above, which include your own private room, two bathrooms, two showers, a living room, a kitchenette with full-sized refrigerator and microwave, free hd cable etc., etc., cost about $10,000 per year with a silver dining plan. I believe that once you’re a sophomore you can reduce the meal costs even further. One of our veterans on this forum can confirm or correct this assertion.</p>

<p>Compare this to living in a shared standard dorm room at USC (two residents per room), with none of the amenities of the super suites and a cattle-call bathroom/shower down the hall that you’d share with the residents on your floor. Annual cost: $11,320 with their required meal plan. It’s the same at UCLA, though they can get your costs down to $9,912 per year if you’re willing to have THREE residents per shoebox-sized dorm room. Such is the cost of prestige. :)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>yes, it’s all relative. :)</p>

<p>But, Super Suites plus Silver Plan is about $11,400 plus Dining Dollars. So, about $12k total…that could be too much if money is an issue. I don’t know what the OP’s financial situation is.</p>

<p>I just meant that the super suites are expensive compared to the standard doubles. I don’t know what the OP’s parents have in mind for their budget. If money is tight, then a standard double may be their affordable choice.</p>

<p>however, if money isn’t an issue…then super suites all the way! :)</p>

<p>Yes, you can reduce your meal plan once you’re a soph. Only frosh have to have at least a silver plan.</p>

<p>Rates for current year (next year will likely be higher)</p>

<p>4 bedroom super suite…$8,800 per year.</p>

<p>Standard Double…$4700 per year.</p>

<p>Silver Plan Dining…$2600 per year…plus $300 per semester for Dining Dollars. 320 meals per year.</p>

<p>Bama Bronze - $1480 per year…plus $300 per semester for Dining Dollars. 180 meals per year</p>

<p>Bama 50 - $394 **per semester<a href=“I%20think%20Dining%20Dollars%20are%20added,%20but%20not%20sure”>/B</a></p>

<p>So, the standard doubles is a $4k per year savings. That could be an issue for some.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>^^^m2ck, I don’t mean to contradict you (you know I love you), but the price you’re quoting for the super suites is for a one-bedroom unit ($8,800/year). The cost for a four-bedroom unit is $7,500. See the following rate chart: <a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2010-2011_Residence_Hall_Rates_Final.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2010-2011_Residence_Hall_Rates_Final.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Add in the silver meal plan ([Bama</a> Dining - Meal Plans](<a href=“http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/freshman.html]Bama”>http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/freshman.html)) at $2,544 and it’s just a tick above $10,000.</p>

<p>As for Dining Dollars, you are required to pay $300, but any amount unused (which could be all of it, if you choose) is 100% refundable.</p>

<p>As for the original question about dorms, if you do live in the super suites, each one is different. Lakeside and Ridgecrest have very nice hall kitchens (I know. My son and I did some cooking in one of Ridgecrest kitchens during fall break. The whole floor spelled of tomato sauce). Riverside has the pool (definitely not the place to be Saturday morning at 7 a.m. when it was 32 degrees). </p>

<p>In regards to the meal plan, more options for freshmen need to be offered. Perhaps that will be something that the University powers that be can address, especially since many kids choose to eat breakfast in their suites.</p>

<p>Regarding roommates, my D simply left it to chance. She is a freshman rooming with one sophomore and two juniors and this has actually been beneficial. D’s upper class roomies have had advice on classes, hangouts, and one even shares her major and was able to pass on a textbook. You may or may not become best buds with one or more of your roommates. D & hers are friendly, but don’t hang out much because they are all too busy and their schedules are so different. Happily, all four are compatible!</p>

<p>“Many kids use the roommate finding application on Facebook. Be sure to join the Alabama class of 2115 on FB.” </p>

<p>There’s a few class of 2015 groups on FB, but none of them have a lot of members yet. One says they’re the official one, but it has only one member. Anyone have a link to the best, most active one or the real official one?</p>

<p>Oh wow $4K, that is quite a difference. S deposited by Oct 15 to get early choice, but I have a tiny bit of ambivalence about the super suites. S sleeps a lot and is not a morning person, he stays up very late studying. He might just go into his private br and never come out. I’m thinking if he had someone else in the room coming and going that would help. But there are so many positives- quiet to study, don’t have to worry about people taking your stuff if you lock your door(s had his laptop stolen last year), you can study all night, and you don’t have to worry about your roomate bringing a girl home, etc.<br>
There is also a slim possibility that S will apply to Blount as well, but the super suites are tough to give up, are those dorms at the regular double rate?</p>

<p>This year, a space in a double room in a traditional-style dorm costs $4,700, while a space in Blount costs $6,000, and a bedroom in one of the 4-bedroom super suites is $7,500 (annual cost). I realize that there is a significant price difference between the various options, but encourage families to spend the extra money if one of the more expensive options would be better for the student. While students all across the country do very well living in traditional-style dorms, there are many people feel more comfortable having their own bedroom and not having to walk down the hall to use the restroom or take a shower. It’s akin to staying at a more deluxe hotel or renting a nicer apartment. Sure you could pay less and still have a place to sleep or you could pay a little more and have a nicer room with more amenities.</p>

<p>ldinct, from your description, your son would probably do better in a suite-style dorm. Blount would be a good option, as would any of the super suite dorms or dorms with a setup similar to that of Blount. One benefit of having one’s own bedroom is that one is able to decompress/study without being disturbed. You still have roommates, but you [usually] don’t have to deal with issues such as different study and sleep schedules, room decor (except for common areas), or having people in the room because your roommates are able to go to their separate rooms and do what they want. I’m not saying that one should be unnecessarily loud at 3AM on a weekday, but it’s possible to listen to music or watch TV without headphones and your roommates not be able to hear the noise. CC is full of threads about the difficulties students have sharing a room and it’s great to know that many of those problems are not an issue in super suite dorms.</p>

<p>Been talking to a lot of parents of seniors lately, as the college app season is in full swing now. Seems that many of the southern colleges are building dorms like the super suites in Bama.</p>

<p>Oops. Don’t know how I misread that. Thanks for the correction. :)</p>

<p>^^^Post-LSU depression. You’re in good company, m2ck. I’m off my game as well today. :)</p>

<p>Yeah, I’m thinking $1400 a semester is so worth it, particularly if you’ve always had your own room. Older S & D are so much older. I wouldn’t wish this guy on anyone- he’s messy and stays up very late. But, he pretty much can sleep anywhere /anytime. Its a gift that my H has passed onto him. I wish I could do it.<br>
How is Blount set up differently than regular double dorms? I think I read they have some classes right there?? Then it would be easy to roll out of bed and get to class. I think it was one of the reasons he only looked at Southern colleges and CA because of the difficulty of getting motivated to go to class in the winter. Older S&D told him how bad it was in the Northeast.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the first year can be the most pricey because a larger meal plan is req’d.</p>

<p>Once a student has sophomore status, he can have a much cheaper meal plan.</p>

<p>*How is Blount set up differently than regular double dorms? *</p>

<p>Regular dorm rooms can have community bathrooms (altho some regular dorms have en suite bathrooms.). Blount is set up like this for a 2 bedroom…</p>

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/floorplans/FP_Rendering_TWO_Blount.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/floorplans/FP_Rendering_TWO_Blount.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Here’s an example of Paty…where the bathrooms are community…
<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/floorplans/paty_fp_rendering_01-21-10_be.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/floorplans/paty_fp_rendering_01-21-10_be.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Do you have to specify which building and super suite wih your deposit or is it luck of the draw?</p>

<p>No, you do not specify the building or suite. What will happen is, the night you go to select your room, you will log on to the selection site. Then, you will have a listing of dorms/rooms available.</p>

<p>Having their own bedroom is particularly nice because you don’t have to worry if their sleeping habits are totally opposite from those of their roomie. My D is a very early morning gal, which is fine but I’m sure most people would not enjoy hearing the alarm going off at 5:30 every morning…</p>

<p>At first you deposit.</p>

<p>But, then, when it’s time for you to choose, you do choose your suite and actual bedroom from what’s available. That’s why people want to deposit early, since it’s first come first serve.</p>

<p>Do you get an electronic notification to choose or is it on a particular date allocate dto you? Basically, I was wondering what the process is from th etime you put down your housing deposit until you actually squeeze the trigger on your dorm bldg/room. Thanks for being patient.</p>