Which UC Campus for Semester Abroad?

Hi, I’m an international student hopefully making it through the preliminary selection at my home university to attend UC. If I want to apply, I need to fill out three campus preferences, however, being international I cannot visit prior to sending in the application. I’ve read the campus atmospheres are really different so I was hoping someone could help :slight_smile:

My current number one (based purely on rankings/academics and location) is Berkeley, followed by UCLA and UCSD. I recently met someone attending UCSB and they really loved that so I’m kind of keeping that one in mind too.

The UC system seems really great to study, however, some things that worry me are the cutthroat environment and curved grading I read about. I’m an all right student (3.0 GPA alongside five committees, one board function and a pretty active (student association) social life the past 2.5 years) and willing to work hard but reading about sabotaging peers was just mind-boggling and I’m not sure I want to be in that kind of environment. Another thing that worries me is housing and getting into the classes I want since I’ve heard local students are prioritized over exchange students.

The environment I am in now is a 12,000 student university in a small town where everyone has at least one mutual other friend. It’s quiet but there’s lots to do if you take initiative and the teachers will always help you (after class) and we’re (almost) always on first-name basis. I’m a biotechnology major looking for a place to take upper-class biology classes, preferably micro-, cellular and genetic biology. I want to learn new things but also have time to experience the culture, see places and be socially active (very cliche, I know). I want to move to a more urban area than the 40,000-person town I am in now which is what attracts me to LA and the Bay. I like a chill friendly atmosphere and easy-going people who work hard but also know how to have fun and attend the occasional party. I also don’t have a car so a place where a car is not necessary would be great (although otherwise I’ll just have to befriend people who do have cars haha) and cycling is not life-threatening.

Based on this do you have any suggestions for my applications? I know all campuses will provide a great experience but I’m curious as to what you think based on the above. Sorry for the long story and thanks in advance!

My recommendation would be to pick between UCB and UCLA, then list UCSD and UCD (or UCSC).

i would be really tempted by UCSB - it is really the quintessential California lifestyle, Right on the beach, bike friendly, no car necessary. and is certainly ‘chill friendly’, socially active and is known to have a party or two.

With just a semester to spend, i think it would be hard to break into the social circles at LA, B and even SD.

True.
So, perhaps, UCSB, UCD, and UCLA to have no regrets?

Thanks for the replies! UCD unfortunately isn’t an option since there’s a lot of hassle with that campus and my university or something (not quite sure what it is). How is UCSB better to break into social circles than the other campuses? I’ll be a senior next year so people everywhere will have already formed friend groups etc. by then right?

Isla Vista, the community surrounding UCSB is a melting pot of students from UCSB and the local CC - you will be surrounded by college students 24*7, there is always something going on - especially on Del Playa. If you can’t make a friend your first week, it is probably on you…Still, it will probably be easiest to establish relationships in the fall when the campus is full of fresh faces.

here’s UCLA and UCB are in cities, so students are scattered all over. It’s harder to meet people.
DO CHECK carefully that your exchange includes housing.

The exchange agreement includes priority but no guaranteed housing. From previous experiences I know you get a dorm with other exchange students 99% of the time. Is the housing market really that bad? I’ve signed up for the fall semester exchange.

Yes, you should expect $2,000 a month if you’re not in a dorm.
@norcalguy @socalmom007 @socaldad2002 @NorCalDad may have better estimates.

Craigslist is always full of sublet opportunities. $2k is a reasonable budgetary # for rent. You can probably do better

What is reasonable when including both rent & utilities ?

UCSB is in a college town, not in a urban area which is what the OP wanted.

What does $2k get you in terms of area, utilities, etc? The UC Berkeley housing website states $1k/month for off-campus housing, can such places be found within reasonable distance? I’ve also read the Co-Ops have a much lower rent. How hard is it to get a room here and how does this differ from living in the university dorms?

1 bedroom rentals generally go for $2400-3000, so if you have a roommate that’s generally $1200-1500 and then you tack on utilities. You could also find a place with more roommates and lower your cost more. Dorm averages will come out to between $1200-1800 a month depending on your food needs.

Damn, that’s expensive! Thanks for the info, I’ll carefully consider this if I get through selection.

You can certain find cheaper if you look hard enough. I see studios listed for $1800 that’s a little further out from campus but still walkable.

Look et UCSC too? But overall housing is going to be a problem outside of Riverside, Merced, and David (perhaps).