WHITMAN CLASS 2022 RD

Hey everyone!

I noticed that we didn’t have one of these and considering March 1st is just around the corner, I figured it was time to create one. We can post any questions here and our admissions decisions when they come out in just 5 days!

I wish the best of luck to everyone applying!!

@monkeyg56. Can u share your statistics?

Does anyone have any idea that why the decision is coming earlier this year?

where did you get the 3/1 release date? the Website still says late-March as RD notification time frame? Last year i believe it was around 3/23 or so.

Background:
Ethnicity: Caucasian
School: Public (With IB)

Stats:
UW GPA: 3.58
W GPA: School doesn’t offer
ACT: 34

AP/IB:
I accidentally sent my AP scores but I didn’t do as well because I was studying for the IB tests at the same time. Neither my AP nor IB scores are amazing (I had some difficulty juggling both), except for my IB Spanish for which I received a 6 (out of 7).

EC:
I’ve done theatre for 7 years. As well as acting at my local theatre, I’ve also held various leadership positions in both volunteering and the Teen Advisory Board. I was elected onto the Teen Advisory Board at 13 (the youngest age possible) and each year since increased my leadership. I went from a general member to secretary to vice president and I am currently the president. I also have 1500+ hours of community service at theatre, as well as a strong letter of rec from them.

Extra Info:
My school is one of the few where it is possible to receive an IB Diploma in 10th and 11th grade, instead of 11th and 12th. In order to be eligible to receive an IB Diploma a grade early, you must be in the Gifted Program, which I am. I received my IB Diploma last June.

I think this is everything? Let me know if you have any questions

@CroissantMiser They sent an email to me on Feb. 22nd, informing me that decisions would be available for viewing on the portal on March 1st at 3pm PST

Excited and nervous for Thursday! This will be my D’s first RD decision.

@monkeyg56 --thanks. I’m hoping my child was just negligent in telling me that little nugget of info :slight_smile:

@monkeyg56 Thanks!!

I looked at last year’s whitman RD thread and discovered that “likely letters” were received by some applicants on or around the first week or March. Saying this b/c the email several have received from admissions identifying 3/1 may not have been sent to everyone–I don’t know this for a fact, but did want to share nonetheless. Hopefully, they just moved up their entire RD decision process to 3/1 b/c i don’t like the staged release of RD notifications–that’s what EA/ED is for…RD notices should all be released at the same time IMO.

We got the e-mail about March 1st. Then-Mine got an e-mail from the orchestra director end of last week
(she is RD). He said she was getting one of the higher music awards (she submitted for the music scholarship). So I am guessing she is accepted. Does anyone happen to know the range of awards for music? I cannot find any information about it.

I applied to Whitman as my first choice with a 3.8 and a 1410 on the SAT’s with good EC’S, essays, recs and interest. If I am not admitted to Whitman, will I be considered for my second and third choices which are both Arts & Sciences?

Sorry, got confused. Thought this was Whitman business school at Syracuse lol.

If so, then the emails are likely likelies?

Agree

Here’s a copy of the email I received

"Dear ( ),

Whitman College’s Admission Committee has been working day and night to review a record number of applications submitted. We want to take a moment to provide you with information on when your admission decision will be released and how you will be able to view your decision.

We plan to release admission decisions online via the applicant status page at 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time on Thursday, March 1st.

If you have trouble accessing your applicant status page, please call our office at (877) 462-9448 during business hours (Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.) or send us an email at admission@whitman.edu and we will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Adam Miller
Director of Admission"

Based on the wording of “admission decisions”, I think all of our decisions will be released on March 1st, but I am totally open to everyone else’s thoughts.

Interesting as i just checked with my D and she didn’t receive any email last week so my assumption is this is a selective release for “likely” candidates…I hope i’m wrong (selfishly). Good luck to those who were fortunate enough to receive the email.

I don’t know much about likely letters. Would they be sent out so soon to the notification date?

I’m hoping for all the best for your daughter @CroissantMiser

thanks @monkeyg56 … Like i said in earlier post, last year’s thread indicated “likely letters” received the first week of March by some students. I’m suggesting that perhaps Whitman digitized the likely letters this year in the form of a 3/1 update to the admissions portal of select applicants rather than sending physical letters. Again, that just my guess.

My daughter also received the email last week. I was shocked that Whitman was releasing all of the decisions so early, especially when the email said they had a record number of applicants this year. Then it says “We want to take a moment to provide you with information on when your admission decision will be released” (key word is your) which made me think maybe it is an early acceptance notification for some students like some other schools do. But then I thought it would be strange to notify students they were getting an early decision notification without actually notifying them of the decision (I’m not sure that last sentence makes any sense, but I know what I am trying to say). I guess we will see on Thursday at 3:00 p.m.

I personally do not think it’s a likely letter, as I have subpar stats and my extracurriculars aren’t amazing, and I still got the message. Even if I do somehow get in, it’s doubtful that I would get a likely letter.