Who here has not gotten COVID? Who has long COVID?

Still haven’t had COVID. Had the updated vaccine and expected to get sick, and I did. Always a day and a half or two days.

4 Likes

Momentum towards a Covid nasal vaccine is building, thanks to basic science discovery work, results from 2 early clinical trials of different nasal vaccines, and new, major US funding awards to companies to accelerate clinical trials. Before getting into the new details, let me review the rationale.

5 Likes

Almost afraid to jinx it, but have still not gotten CoVid. I work in Home Healthcare and have been in many homes with Covid patients/families over these past years. Of course we have good personal protective equipment, but more challenges with knowing if we are walking into exposure.
I have been (and still am) careful to mask in crowded areas, especially airports and airplanes. I feel like it is human nature and somewhat understandable that people travel even when not feeling well. It is expensive and inconvenient to reschedule. So all I can do is protect myself as best as possible.
One big challenge has been returning to playing music. Of course, live music was on hold for the first year or more of the pandemic but is thankfully returning. I play a woodwind instrument in several community orchestras. It is not really feasible to mask, and at times we are sitting right in front of a choir. In my experience, musicians/singers have been really good about calling in a substitute when they have any symptoms. And it’s a risk I’m willing to take, because…well music is an important and positive part of my life.
I have had a total of 5 Moderna vaccines/boosters with the most recent one a few days ago. Always with about a day of headache, extreme fatigue and low blood pressure, all starting the day after the vaccine. Wondering if anyone else gets the hypotension/BP drop? I have to be super careful to avoid fainting.

BP fluctuations are one of the reasons I’m considering novavax this time. Makes me nervous.

I don’t take my BP so I wouldn’t know but after my last moderna Thursday I noticed my resting HR increased about 15bpm. It went back down after a day. Friday I was pretty blah and achy and all weekend I’ve had intermittent blahs and headaches that come and go.

I had a similar reaction to something last year, but I had so many shots then I can’t remember which one it was. Last fall my covid was Pfizer and I’m pretty sure that one I felt nothing which at the time was a huge differencd from my first 3 moderna.

When I had actual covid my HR spiked to 100-120 for 3 days. My usual resting HR is around 50-55

Gift link

1 Like

Head shockingly infuriating…

’ Ensitrelvir, a drug made by the Osaka-based pharmaceutical company Shionogi, was conditionally approved in Japan last November. Like Paxlovid, ensitrelvir works by blocking an enzyme that the SARS-CoV-2 virus uses to clone itself inside the human body. But for the millions of Americans who will likely get COVID in the coming months, the new drug is almost certain to be out of reach. In 2021, Pfizer waited just five weeks for Paxlovid to receive its emergency use authorization. But ensitrelvir is still sitting in the approval pipeline, stuck in another round of clinical trials that may run well into 2024.’

So, Paxlovid was okayed after almost no real data…but the stuff from Japan, which now has data and is showing to be not only helpful but better…is being put under the microscope. Sorry. Hard to hang on to the narrative that this is about health and not something else.

5 Likes

Isn’t it because Paxlovid was approved during the public health emergency, but now that the public health emergency is over the FDA is back to regular procedures? And those regular procedures, I have read for years, are ridiculously slow to process new drugs primarily due to administrative hurdles, rather than scientific reasons, even when faster processing could save many lives.

7 Likes

Paxlovid came out of the SARS vault. So it has been tested substantially longer than the 5 weeks the article claims.

9 Likes

Okay folks I tested positive in like 10 seconds this morning, just in time to tell my daughter to cancel her train. Just took my first dose of Paxlovid.

I have been careful- still. Wear a mask everywhere. So it must have been the dentist on Wed. None of the staff wore masks except for hospital mask when actually working on patients. I offereda KN95 to the dentist which offended him.

I was to end Tymlos and start Evenity for my bones, next week. So I was being extra careful because I need to start it asap! It is given in the office so I will have to wait 10+ days.

We finally got it too. Think my husband got it at a concert he went to with a friend but could’ve possibly been the dentist. We didn’t do the Paxlovid although I thought about it. He got it first though and didn’t want to and by the time I got it he was feeling better. Worst of it lasted about a week and now we just have little coughs. I’ve got annoying post nasal drip too. Still testing positive though. Not sure how long that will last.

@Sweetgum feel better! I am doing the lower dose of Paxlovid, two pills twice/day, not three. We’ll see if I tolerate it. I was on the fence.

Hope it helps and you feel better soon. Folks I know who took it said it worked for them.

I am halfway through Paxlovid (started feeling sick on Monday, tested positive on Tuesday) and definitely feeling better.

4 Likes

I am so sorry, because you did all the right things. Going to the dentist makes me very uneasy, because that is one time where one just can’t wear a mask. And then people are at the mercy of the staff, who may or may not care about covid or spreading it (as the majority in the U.S. apparently don’t, according to the survey I linked above).

Feel better soon!

I never got COVID after being with my friend 24/7 for several days two weeks ago. She tested positive at the end of our trip. We had both gotten the latest shot at the beginning of October.

2 Likes

Anyone know if Paxlovid is dangerous for those with prolonged QTc interval? Mine is quite long. I talked with cardiology, pharmacy and PCP. Not that reassuring!

I switched dentists during the pandemic because I was uneasy with how my old dentist reopened. Just a reminder call about my appointment right after restrictions were lifted. When I asked about precautions, she recited the state regulations. That office had walls open at the top with air circulating throughout the entire office.

I found a closer dentist who had explicit and detailed COVID precautions listed on their web site. They are always fully masked when working in the room with me. The dentist has young children so I know he wants to be careful.

3 Likes

Odd. My experience with dentists and hygienists is that, even before COVID-19, they were masked, face shielded, and gowned. Probably they did not want to get or give anything else that could be spread by breathing (colds, flu, RSV, …). Although over decades, there was a gradual increase in the amount of PPE worn.

5 Likes

My dentist and hygienist have always masked, and they use a face shield when working inside the mouth. Even before Covid. The periodontist & oral surgeon I saw pre-Covid did the same.

1 Like