Who here has not gotten COVID? Who has long COVID?

My dentist has us swish with peroxide mouthwash for 60 seconds at start of appt. I stopped seeing hygienist who is an anti-vaxer and see others in same office who ARE vaxed.

1 Like

never been this sick

Our dentist and his staff are so well masked I wouldnā€™t recognize them if I run into them outside of their office! Always have been. The hygienist said they donated all of their N95 supplies when Covid started, and then when the office reopened, they had trouble getting more so had to reopen in a very limited capacity to conserve the PPE. Also required testing and then vaccinations when became availableā€¦ now it is just the super-masking on their part.

Thanks for sharing. Good for people who are burned out on vaccines to read. This is not an illness to mess around with.

2 Likes

Definitely NOT a walk on a beach! My husband has never had such high BP! It was really scary. Covid is a nasty thing.

2 Likes

COVID-19 can be very nasty and unpleasant (including risk of long COVID), but it can also be like a minor cold or barely noticeable.

What may happen is that many people look at their anecdotes of themselves or people they know and make assumptions based on that. It would not be surprising if people who experienced or knew someone who experienced a bad case tend to be more COVID-19 cautious than those who only experienced or personally knew of minor cases.

7 Likes

I have two doses of Paxlovid left (showed symptoms on Monday, tested positive on Tuesday and started med that evening) and I am still feeling pretty crappy. Certainly not as sick as I was on Monday and Tuesday but uncomfortable. Using OTC meds.

1 Like

So sorry to hear that! Iā€™ve been taking more risks lately, including going to an in person conference via airplane for the last few days. Arrived home,masked, and immediately went to a different part of the house to test before joining immunocompromised DH.

Iā€™m fine. But appalled to find that I was literally the only masked person in the airport going out, happily surprised to find my seatmate on the plane was masked (I guess I didnā€™t see her in the airport), interested to see that about 5% of the conference attendees were masked.

I had something noncovid before I left and that was bad enough.

Covid is a nasty thing because it unpredictable. Some folks get super sick and some just have one sniffle.

4 Likes

So sorry itā€™s being bad for you.

It was definitely not fun for us, and we each took to the bed for a couple of days. DH had a really bad headache he had to take Tylenol for. He never takes pain meds because he has irritable bowel and it messes up his stomach. I skipped the headache, but had a really bad sore throat that felt like strep. The worst of it latest about 1 week and now we are both back to about 90-95%. He is still tired easily and has a cough. I have annoying post-nasal drip and cough due to that, but I think it might be getting better today.

D22 is home from school with her girlfriend. They get a week (plus weekends) off. I donā€™t think weā€™re likely to still be very contagious, but trying to air out the house as much as possible (it was 70 here today) and be masked when we are around them. Hoping for a negative test result soon, but I tested yesterday and it popped up positive right away. Really donā€™t want to give it to them.

Rapid antigen test results tend to correlate with contagiousness. So if you get positive, assume that you are contagious.

1 Like

@oldmom and @Sweetgum you are both a little ahead of me.

I was vaccinated a month ago so did not expect to be this sick. Fever yesterday was 102. Paxlovid seems to work because I am now 98.1 and throat and lungs are a little better but headache is horrendous. Fluish. As you can see from my post yesterday, I could barely type.

I wonder if the mild cases are sometimes among those who have had it before-?

I am nervous about my heart with Paxlovid (long QT syndrome) but cardiologist said itā€™s okay, just take extra magnesium.

@Sweetgum did you take Paxlovid?

Hope you both feel better!

Very strange odds in our household. I had original Covid, before vaccines were available. Timing pointed to air travel ā€“ but back when masks were required and we took every precaution known. DH and I were together the entire time, sat together on the plane, and were in our very small apartment then. He never caught it.

DH just had one of the latest versions. Timing pointed to air travel. Again, we took precautions, and sat together. He was quite sick initially, so started Paxlovid, got better, and within days had symptoms (and tests) indicating rebound Covid. Rebound Covid had far fewer symptoms, but lasted a long time. I never caught it - yet. In some ways, I wish I had, to ā€œget it over withā€ before holidays and family time.

We did not have the latest vaccine because we just finished the prior version late summer, so were waiting at least 90 days for the next one. Iā€™m hoping to get it in a few weeks.

We didnā€™t. DH got it first and didnā€™t want to and was feeling better, if not all the way well, by the time I got it. So I felt like I might not need it either.

The CDC says you are most contagious before the home tests pick it up and in the first 5 days of illness. Whether you test positive on a home test or not, you should stay home and isolate for 5 days. After the first 5 days then you can go out in public, but should wear a N-95 mask for another 5 days. They say that if you get two negative tests 48 hours apart you are good to go and fully interact with other humans. Hoping for that for us soon but we are rationing our tests. Weā€™ve run through a lot of them with 3 people testing. I have read that some people test positive for a long time afterwards.

The CDC has an isolation calculator on their website. Isolation and Precautions for People with COVID-19 | CDC

It took me until day 13 to test negative on rapid antigen tests (it was a barely noticeable case in terms of symptoms, with no symptoms at all for the last week of positive tests).

If ā€œlong timeā€ means months afterward, that can happen with PCR tests.

I just had 90 minutes of constant supraventricular ectopy, which could lead to my afib. I wish I knew if this was from COVID itself or Paxlovid! Have a call in to cardiology.

I wear an Apple Watch during the day and it noted that I had a high heart rate while I had the worst of the COVID. It gave me several alerts. No Paxlovid.

Thanks, that is helpful! But today I have almost no COVID symptoms. Paxlovid works! Arrhythmias are concerning at the rate I am having them. The safest things seems to be stopping the med but weā€™ll see what doc says.

A friend developed arrythmias (not sure what, maybe PVCā€™s) after COVID so there is that too.

2 Likes

How high? That was my scariest symptom. I lost my voice for 10 days which was just annoying. I only coughed because I was trying to clear the voice box, but my lungs were fine. But I noted my heart rate was around 120 for 3 days. Itā€™s usually in the low 50s! When Iā€™m sick with something big like flu/strep it gets to the 80s, but Iā€™ve never seen it that high when not exercising (though then it can get to 180s)

120s, but mine runs high. 80s are usual for me.

1 Like