Who is applying ED or EA this year?

<p>PeaceOut007, thank you for responding so eloquently about everything. I’ve been really interested in CC ever since i was accepted EA back in december, but i’m still unsure of whether i will actually thrive in the block plan. the concept of it is great; i love the idea of immersing myself in just one subject. yet i also worry about the intensity–have you ever felt smothered by it? working tirelessly for three weeks straight with only the block break to catch your breath?
also, i would be an english/creative writing major. do you know anyone/have friends who have had positive or negative experiences with that major on the block plan?</p>

<p>sorry for all these questions!!!</p>

<p>Hi leeloo231! It is very difficult to know whether or not you will like to block plan until you experience it, which definitely does not make your college decision easy. However, I think if you are intrigued by the idea of it and feel it will be a good fit for you, then you are probably right. The block plan definitely is intense and while sometimes the idea of it is terrifying (covering a whole semester’s worth of work in 3.5 weeks, yikes!!!), the vast majority of people handle it just fine. </p>

<p>The only time I really felt smothered by the system was when I took organic chemistry, but since you’re looking to be an English major you won’t have to worry about that one :)! What made orgo so difficult was that I was in class from 9-12, lab from 1-4 (at the earliest), and then have to go home, read an entire chapter in the textbook to prepare for lecture the next day and work on problems from the book/review the previous lecture material. It got to be very overwhelming at times, but on the bright side, it was over in 3.5 weeks and I learned sooo much! The 4th week of the block can get pretty stressful too, but it’s always helpful to remind yourself it will be over in a few days! I find the system to be tough but managable in general. It challenges you without being excessive.</p>

<p>The great thing about being a humanities major is that most of your classes will run from 9-12 with no afternoon class, so even if you have a lot of work to do, you have the entire afternoon/evening to complete it. Unfortunately I cannot tell you how english classes are on the block plan as I’ve never taken one (I’ve avoided it like the plague - english is NOT my thing!), though I do know someone who is an english/creative writing major and she definitely enjoys it a lot! It is most certainly challenging; lots of reading, writing, presentations, etc. but I think it is one of the strongest majors at CC. Plus, you will have essentially no lecture and class will just be three hours of discussion, which I think is one of the best things about CC. </p>

<p>Hope that helps answer some of your questions! Let me know if you have any more. Don’t apologize for asking questions! In case you couldn’t tell, I love sharing my CC experiences with prospective students :)</p>

<p>Thanks so much peaceout for all your valuable thoughts and information. I am the OP and wanted to touch base back on this thread. My S is just finishing his JUnior year. He is at a school in Vermont for this semester. He is just starting to put together his list of schools. He hasn’t visited CC yet… will this Fall for sure, but it has always been at the top of his list. </p>

<p>It looks like you are Pre-med… you mentioned Orgo Chem. My S will also be pre-med… but he hasn’t decided his major yet… he was at one time thinking Philosophy, but has recently changed his mind to maybe something like Environmental Science or Forestry. I know that CC doesn’t have a forestry major. His dream is to be an ER doc, that works in the mountains somewhere so he could also be involved in mountain search and rescue.</p>

<p>How were those Science classes at CC? I know you said they were time intensive but how hard was it to get a good grade? Did you have a lot of support from the professor’s? I know that CC is one of the only few schools that has a cadaver lab… this really excited my S.</p>

<p>I really feel like my S would thrive with the block plan. He thrives on high stimulation and does much better the busier he is. BUT, he also likes to do a lot of stuff outside of school and would want to to be involved with many activities and outdoor stuff, i.e. rock climbing , backpacking, hiking, etc… he has been obsessed with climbing since he was 5.
In other words… do you still have time to enjoy all that college offers plus be pre-med?</p>

<p>5Boys, I apologize for stepping in on your conversation with Peaceout007 but I wanted to add my two cents. My S is a junior bio-chem major, hoping to go to med school.
He started at CC as a varsity athlete planning to major in economics. He quickly fell in love with the bio-chem department, especially the Professors. During his first two years he scheduled his science classes out of season (organic chem 1 and 2, and bio-chem 1 and 2). During the season he would take his humanities classes. He would text me when he returned to a science class telling me how happy he was to be back in the lab. He has no regrets but would not sugarcoat it…he would tell you science classes on the block plan are a grind, class from 9 to 12 and lab from 1 to 4, and often 6 to 7 hours (or more) of studying each night. This fall he decided to give up his sport as his did very little other than go to class, study and swim. He now has more time to pursue other interests. Each student is different, for him organic chem was very doable on the block plan but calc based physics consumed him (math is not his thing). In addition to his weekday work, he would spend up to 12 hours on both Saturday and Sunday working on labs with classmates. It was not unusual for him to be in the science building at 1 AM. Many times Professors would also be there late into the night working with students. All of his Professors have been willing to do whatever they can to help. Block breaks are a welcome escape because although he found time to relax with friends or hit a party late in the evening on Friday or Saturday, he really found it impossible to getaway for a weekend to ski, rock climb or camp when he started taking upper level classes for his bio-chem major. He took a block off to go on his brother’s senior year spring break so he is home and I am sure would be happy to anwer any questions you my have questions that PeaceOut007 has not already covered. He tells me that in his opinion the block plan is the best way to really learn the material. He believes that the total immersion of the material better prepares you for the MCAT and fast pace of med school.</p>

<p>Hi 5boys, I am pre-vet, which I guess is close enough to pre med ;). I definitely echo swimming08’s sentiments about upper level science classes on the block plan. I never did take biochem (decided I wanted to apply to vet school late in the game so I didn’t have time to take it at CC and am planning on taking it after graduation), but I took both orgos and many 300 and 400 level biology classes. It’s true that some blocks you really don’t have much free time for extracurriculars because you’re spending 6-7 hours in class and an addition 5+ hours studying or working on lab reports outside of class. Your son will definitely have time to participate in activities outside of school, but some blocks he will have to make sacrifices. With that being said, it’s perfectly doable, and you’re only sacrifcing activities/a social life for 3.5 weeks, so it’s really not that bad. Plus, even when I’m in tough classes, I always have to make some time for non-school activities. I still make sure I get out to the barn to ride horses at least twice a week, for example. It’s the only way to stay sane :). Even on the block plan, your life can’t be all school all the time!</p>

<p>nice post PeaceOut007. Good luck with your vet school applications !</p>

<p>Thanks so much PeaceOut and swimming… I am really starting to get some idea of the block plan vibe. My S is in Vermont right now with very limited internet access so I am going to print out your responses and save them for him to read later. I think he will find them informative. One of the things that I think is appealing about the block plan is that if you get burnt out after a one intensive block like orgo you can then just take an easier class the next block. Also, you can just take a whole block off if you want. I have actually heard from a few CC students that they thought, although it was intense and time consuming at the time, the block plan was the best way to really learn in the Science classes you need for the MCAT’s. That you know it inside and out by the end of the 3.5 weeks.</p>

<p>Like your S swimming the Physics/Calc class will be the gatekeeper for my S. He is not a math kid either… will end HS in pre-calc. I’m thinking to advise him to the math classes first and get them out of the way. My S will also not be majoring in either Bio or Chem, so the only Science and math he will have to take are the Pre-med pre-req’s… which are quite a few, but he can off-set those with his Humanities and ES classes. </p>

<p>swimming… I got the impression that your S is VERY happy with the professors at CC. That is great to hear, because that is something that my S is looking for. He has to this day had close relationships with many of his teacher’s and it is something that is important to him. That is why he is only looking at small LAC’s. He goes to a small private prep school, and loves that type of intimacy in the classroom.</p>

<p>swimming… forgot to ask…you said earlier on in this thread that your S2 is applying to CC too, what ever happened with that?</p>

<p>Swimming08, thanks for the luck!! </p>

<p>5boys, just so you know, if math isn’t your son’s strong point I would highly recommend he take the double block class titled Precalculus and Calculus. It’s basically just calc I over the course of 2 blocks instead of one, and it incorporates a bit of precalc review in the beginning. I took that class my freshman year because I also only took up to precalc in high school and was afraid of jumping straight into caclulus on the block plan with no calc knowledge. The class was absolutely fantastic, and I ended up liking it so much that I took calc II the following year and loved it as well! For physics, I would also highly recommend he take the non-calculus based intro physics courses. That’s what I did after watching my roommate struggle through calc physics and I don’t regret that decision at all! Now I don’t know much about med school prereqs because I never looked into med school, but I know a lot of the kids in my 2 physics courses were premed, so I don’t think calc based or noncalc based makes much of a difference. Oh, and the profs at CC are FANTASTIC! Definitely one of the highlights of the school. It’s not uncommon for them to invite the class over for dinner at their house or take the class out to eat. They are all addressed by their first names. In fact, if you call them Professor so and so, they will usually insist on being called by their first name! They’re always available to help with class work. I’ve even had a few profs give the class their personal home and cell phone numbers on the syllabus, so we could reach them anytime if we needed help. They’re all generally approachable, helpful, and knowledgeable.</p>

<p>I haven’t been on this in so long! I was accepted EA this year
5boys - don’t be alarmed by some of the stats you see on this board, mine weren’t as high as some of the people here, I think it just really depends.</p>

<p>PeaceOut… You don’t know how happy your post made me… relieved to find out about those math and physics classes. I think for med school he can take that non-calc based physics, and I LOVE the fact that they have that pre-calc refresher/calc class. That would be perfect for my S… although he is now somewhat good at math, but just had a slow start to it… and a REALLY bad algebra teacher didn’t help. I told him today when I talked to him about what you said about the professor’s and how you all called them by their first name and he LOVED that… CC is looking better and better…</p>

<p>5Boys, My second S was accepted EA. He took a summer course at CC, he loved the school and the block plan. He has already sent in his deposit. My older S has really loved the professors at CC. In fact, his decision to major in bio-chem was in large part due to his first year chem professor who offered to be his advisor even before he declared his major. I would have to say the relationships my son has developed with his professors is the highlight of his CC experience.</p>

<p>WOW!! Swimming… how nice to have both your boys together. I have my last boy who is a 9th grader, so who knows, maybe they will end up together too. I’m VERY happy to hear about the great professors… I know it might not be important to some kids but to my S it is the MOST important thing… that and being able to rock climb. LOL!!! My S is always looking for kids to go with him rock climbing but no one is able to keep up with him skill wise… except his brother. He would love to find a school where he would find his “cult” rock climbing people. </p>

<p>jbean… I hear you. My S is really just trying to stay focused on fit right now and is not really concentrating too much on the stats to get in. He is right in there or above on test scores, but his grades are a bit on the low end for CC. He has some exceptional EC’s and is an authentic kid that I think will shine through. I’m sure he will apply EA… maybe ED, but we need aid, so probably not. Swimming… do you think EA is the way to go? I’m worried because my S is somewhat of a late bloomer and has a rising GPA, that he should wait till RD so they can see his first semester grades.</p>

<p>5boys, I was also a late bloomer as youve described your son, and I got in ED this year. My semester grades undoubtedly would have helped, but luckily I didnt need them. One thing that I was told multiple times when I was at CC was that it was important that I apply either ED or EA (it didnt matter which one, but interviewer told me that). The accpetance rate is much lower for regular decision then either early options.</p>

<p>I would definitely go with EA. That’s what I did and I think it’s a really great option to have. I was also worried about getting into CC because my test scores were on the low end, and while my grades were good, I only took 2 AP classes and a couple honors classes so I was worried that colleges would think I didn’t push myself enough. I applied EA to show I was really interested in the school (it was my first choice). The only thing that kept me from applying ED was the distance (it’s a long way from Connecticut, and I am very much a homebody), so EA was the perfect option for me. </p>

<p>It sounds to me like your son has a good chance at getting into CC - an upward grade trend is definitely a good thing, as are the great ECs and the authenticity. I feel CC really values well rounded applicants and doesn’t just look at the numbers. Oh, and I know a couple people that are very intense climbers at CC. Your son will definitely find a group that can keep up with him!</p>

<p>Oh and igotintocc is right, you have a much better chance of getting in if you apply early. Good luck!</p>

<p>Wow, I haven’t checked this thread in a while. Thank you so much PeaceOut for answering my questions about your experiences in the Block Plan and your knowledge of your friends’ experiences with English. You have no idea how much that helped me! I’m visiting CC on April 7th and I absolutely cannot wait!
Anyone else on this thread gonna be there for the open house??</p>

<p>im going to the open in house on the 7th too. I’m coming from New York im really excited ive never been to Colorado Springs before. Where are you coming from?</p>

<p>ooh awesome! yeah i’ve never been there either! i’m really looking forward to finally seeing campus. I’m coming from the Westchester area, so I’ll be flying out of JFK or LaGuardia on the 6th. There aren’t any flights directly to CO Springs!
What about you? also, are you on the facebook group?</p>

<p>PeaceOut and Swimming. . . Thank you for your extremely informative posts! Would you mind sharing a bit about research opportunities, grad school acceptances for science majors (as well as faculty advice and support in the process), career services and the prevalence of drugs/alcohol? Again, many thanks.</p>

<p>So i just got back from the open house this weekend and i loved it so I’m officially going! So nice to know now i can really let the senioritis kick in!</p>

<p>Peaceout - I saw that your from CT and i was just wondering how that works? How do you transport your stuff do you have it shipped or do you drive? My dad is insane so we’ll probably be driving… cant wait for that… Also how often do you go home? My brother goes to a state school here in NY and it seems like he’s home all the time, not by choice but because the school closes a lot for religious holidays and what not. Im assuming that doesn’t really happen at CC with the block plan and all. Basically what’s how many times will i have no choice but to make the trek (and pay for the trek) all the way back to NY?</p>