Why do people FALL OFF?

This post is so far from my own world view that I cannot even find anything to say.

17 Likes

We have been having some conversations with my daughter who is applying to grad schools regarding the concepts of prestige. Does going to a prestigious school open some doors for you? Yes, I think so. Out of college that name might get you in the door easier than others, but following you through that door may be others that come from lesser known schools. And once the work starts, no one cares about where you were to school anymore. Promotions aren’t based on where you went to school but the work you do and the person you are. Someone who relies on the name of their school to get ahead might find themselves falling behind. Being good at what you do and being a person that others like and want to be around is important.

Does prestige guarantee success or happiness? Definitely not. Sometimes people get into their careers and realize what they enjoy doing is different than what they expected. And working all day, every day, at something you don’t like can cause burnout quickly. And most people, as they mature, realize that doing something they like with their life, over something that impresses other people, is what is most important. In addition, when you have a family, priorities can switch. Coordinating job locations with a spouses job can be tricky. Having a job with hours that allow you to be active in your kids life likely becomes important. Your kids don’t care where you went to school.

6 Likes

In previous posts you said you were a med student. That really scares me. Is this the attitude that you will use with your patients? Someone who is not living up to your expectation of what their life should be has fallen and their life is a tragedy? I’m not even sure what to say to this except that I hope I never have a doctor who has this attitude.

16 Likes

Not everyone can be (nor wants to be) a CEO, successful business owner, law partner, hedge fund president, hospital chief of staff, etc. My understanding is that those jobs can be incredibly stressful. Success isn’t a salary; it’s doing something you don’t hate that puts food on the table.

11 Likes

Success is not measured by money. Money is a necessity in being able to care for ourselves, but more than what is necessary to survive is not directly correlated with our happiness. And being in a job that outsiders think befits us is not necessarily success. Being content with our lives is about so much more than the job we have or the balance of our investments. People often make choices that others don’t understand, but that are right for them.

6 Likes

To be fair, Harvard does say on their website that their aim is to produce world leaders in whatever field their students go into.

By their own standards, most Harvard graduates would be failing Harvard’s own metric for success.

I don’t blame kids for thinking that in order to be a successful Harvard/top school graduate, you have to be a world leader or game changer of some kind when it’s pretty much what Harvard says they do on their site.

It’s why so many kids are desperate to get into Harvard. Harvard says they produce world leaders on their site (but don’t acknowledge that the vast majority of Harvard graduates cannot be world leaders because there aren’t that many world leadership spots in the world).

Schools can’t have it both ways. If the metric of success is world leadership according to Harvard, can OP be really blamed for thinking that going to Harvard and not ending up a world leader is failing?

It’s Harvard’s own standards that they say on their website.

5 Likes

I’m going to say
some of our smaller and more rural areas NEED well qualified doctors, and lawyers, and business people. I applaud folks doing that.

25 Likes

In the general workforce out there, in MOST situations, at some point, nobody gives a rip if you went to the moon and back
one’s ability to succeed in a work place, regardless of your education credentials, will be based on how well you play with others in the sandbox.

If you throw your toys, push other kids on the playground, throw sand in their faces, and act like an arrogant butthead, then eventually one WILL hit a wall at work where you aren’t able to proceed further. And then one’s arrogance will become, in part, one’s downfall.

EVERY JOB, even the people flipping burgers at McDonald’s, involves working on a team of some sort. It could be a team of construction workers, a team of ditch diggers, or a team of healthcare professionals doing brain surgery on a patient.

I could think of a lot of reasons why some people would “fall off” as the OP put it. Here are some just right off the top of my head:

• spouse/partner got a job requiring them to move
  • close family member (like a parent, spouse, child) is very ill, and the person who ‘fell off’ needs to be closer to home, not have as much of a jet-setting/super star work lifestyle
  • person got burned out on the rat race
  • person not only got burned out on the rat race, but rat race swept them up into lifestyle of heavy drugs and/or alcohol. Person ended up in rehab, needed to be in a job that was kind of ‘away’ from the old work culture of "lives of the fast & furious’
  • person had a major illness which made them question what the heck their purpose in life was - for example, cancer will do that to a person
  • person got way too cocky, ended up eventually getting fired/laid off from their hot shot job and because of their cocky attitude, had a hard time getting new job, so they had to settle for a job that’s a lot more humble
  • just suddenly decided one day ‘Why am I doing this?’ and decided to switch gears

What your high school self might not have realized, also, is that while from your perspective it seemed like the person really missed their old life, what is ALSO possible is that the person was just fondly reminiscing their old ‘work hard, play hard, party like it’s 1999’ life. That doesn’t necessarily mean that the person wants to go back to it.

Whether the “falling off” thing is a BAD thing depends on one’s point of view. And there’s lots of different ways of looking at the situation.

3 Likes

Why in the world do you think these people “fell off?” Did it ever occur to you that perhaps they’re doing exactly what they want to do and don’t care about your expectations for them? Several of my classmates from HBS pursued careers at a level that apparently wouldn’t impress you, but they are quite happy with their lives nonetheless. One of my classmates went to work for the Post Office after graduation, worked there for four years, then left to have a family (five boys, eventually) and never went back to work. Zero regrets. I dropped out of HBS partly because the payback wasn’t there for me. I’ve had a very successful and lucrative career, but it wouldn’t look like that to you. It’s the misguided idea of what certain levels of education should look like/produce that is the “tragedy.”

The ROI on education happens in the mind, not the wallet or the eyes of others.

20 Likes

Agree with this assessment. This and prior threads demonstrate an unhealthy need to criticize others, which would be sad in anyone but actually harmful in a physician. I mean this to be helpful: OP, please consider counseling. Maybe being on this website is “fun” for you, but if you find a thrill in upsetting others, then it should be considered a quality in you that may benefit from some guided introspection. If you have recurring or intrusive negative thoughts about people around you who are doing no harm to you, then that would also be a symptom that should be addressed by a professional.

14 Likes

That!

I’m in no way comparing my education nor my career potential with this particular person.

But, I certainly did well enough while very young, my first job made more than my Dad’s. Bought a two-bedroom condo 2 years later to manage taxes, travelled worldwide, rose through the ranks.

At some point, the “correct” move would have been to keep following the head-hunters, switch jobs, each time grabbing an even better title, and of course demanding a healthy pay increase.

But instead - at some point, I was “content” with my life, “big enough” house, “new enough” cars, living in suburbia, not traveling, but had the real “luxury” of eating dinner with my family every day, doing nightly story time and weekend excursions, be at the school bus twice a day, and later play shuttle service to all the school events and sports mid-day.

None of the above would have been possible, if I had decided to commit myself to a more and more demanding career that certainly was open to me.

Wouldn’t change a thing!
I know a lot of people “succeeding”, if finances/titles/recognitions were the measure - but completely failing in life.

9 Likes

By your assessment, I too probably “fell off.” But you know what? I am happier than I have ever been doing what I love, even if it’s not what I was “expected” to do. I got every fancy advanced degree in the book and use exactly zero of them currently. But I love my job - it pays decently, is low stress, and gives me great work-life balance, which seems to be a sad rarity for many these days. I left the stress, I left the pointless competition. I am happy. You can kiss my you know what.

7 Likes

OP, you remind me a little of Holden from Catcher in the Rye. Have you read Salinger’s book?

4 Likes

You should consider proctology as an area of specialization as it will minimize your forced interpersonal interactions with common folk.

2 Likes

Agreed - everyone should keep the lack of life experience of the OP in mind. Their B&W judgement of a seemingly gifted person is probably not that uncommon for that age, even if not everyone will voice it and phrase it that way.

Here’s a chance not to take offense, but to add context and share a perspective that young people have not benefitted from – yet.

12 Likes

I hear there are a lot of openings in that field

(Sorry, that was teed up too perfectly to resist.)

4 Likes

My spouse works for a company out of Boston relatively high in the corporate ladder. He went to a well regarded state flagship. He has all sorts of subordinates that went to fancier schools than him. I assume they’re all living their best lives. The only way I find this tragic is if there was life altering debt involved that is following someone for many years and affecting quality of life.

It’s no coincdence that in general the students at high end privates come from wealthier families. High end schools also spend a fortune on marketing - creating world leaders, affordable for all, magical faculty, blah blah blah. As always, take marketing materials with a grain of salt and a discerning eye.

I was coincdentally in Boston last week. I was on campus at a number of schools. I was struck how I saw a bunch of very average and typical young adult behavoir. I also chatted with a young man about to graduate who was quite ho hum on his undergrad experience at one of these schools.

Honestly, this OP reads like it was posted by a young teen. My high school senior has more nuanced thoughts than this. So odd. Life is what you do, not where you go to college. As life goes on you find your own career and life balances. Every choice has ramifications and things are rarely black and white.

3 Likes

Please don’t poo poo my suggestion and don’t forget to tip your waiters and waitresses. Good night.

1 Like

I agree to a point
But the OP is apparently a med student? To me, this is more the maturity level of a 12-year-old. If a middle schooler had written this, OK, that ignorance is forgivable, but this is not only an adult, but a college graduate, with presumably some life experience under their belt (have they interacted with patients? held internships? interacted with other people?). Time to grow up.

5 Likes

DH went to undergrad at a state school with an 80% acceptance rate, and then took a winding path through med school and residency. After practicing for a decade, he earned a PhD and went to work in a high profile lab at Columbia, publishing regularly in high impact journals. Lots of prestige, but terrible hours and even worse pay. He missed patient contact, and felt that medical research is more effective when guided by physician experience. He left research to do a medical fellowship. Now, he spends most of his time seeing patients at hospitals you’ve never heard of, doing public education in science and medicine, and volunteering for nonprofits.

Is my husband’s life tragic because he stopped doing research? Maybe his life was a failure from the start since he didn’t go to an Ivy, or even a Top 100 university for undergrad.

He doesn’t have fame, prestige, or anything that makes him feel superior, but he has the respect of his colleagues and community, the love of his family and friends, and the absolute adoration of his dogs😉.

I’m not even going to go into the “tragedy” of what I’ve done with my degree, which is become a stay-at-home mom and volunteer in my community😊.

11 Likes