Why Hampshire?

<p>I don't know very much about Hampshire but would love to learn more about it..
Just some questions...if anyone can answer any of them, that would be great!!
1. Best things about the college/ Worst things about the college
2. Do students place a lot of weight in their academics?
3. What is the student body like? Is there any other college that has a similar student body?
4. Anything else...
Thanks! :)</p>

<p>Anyone have anything?</p>

<p>You might want to look in the ARCHIVES for more info about Hampshire . What are your other choices??</p>

<p>At this point, some of my other choices inc. Oberlin, Macalester, Vassar, and Clark.</p>

<p>I've never been to Hampshire myself, but this is what I have gathered from my teacher, who graduated with honors from there.</p>

<p>The best thing about the college (although this could be a terrible thing depending on who you are) is the fact that they put SO much emphasis on writing. Also, when you apply, I believe they tend to look more at personal qualities and test scores instead of strictly GPA... this may be due to the small pool of applicants and they extra time gathered from that. One other thing is that the avg. class size is about 11-13, not to mention if Hapshire didn't have a class you wanted... you could take it at Smith, Mt Holyoke, UMASS Amherst, or Amherst college (the five college system).</p>

<p>The worst thing, probably, is the reputation as a school with "high" expectations... if you catch what I mean. For christ sake... they have a champion ultamite frisbee team.</p>

<p>Students do place a lot of weight on their academics... for 41000K a year... theyd better. </p>

<p>It's a very intellectual crowd, amherst, so that's what you can expect. plus the 16:1 or something ridiculous guy-girl ratio.</p>

<p>plus grads include: ed humes, ani difranco, the top woman science researcher in the country or something, and many others.</p>

<p>all in all a very intriguing place, in my opinion anyway... hopefully I can get enough money to go!</p>

<p>hope this helps
-k</p>

<p>Thanks! It sounds like a great place. I'm surprised by the guy to girl ratio. I would have thought there were way more girls!</p>

<p>oh haha I'm sorry I meant girl-guy</p>

<p>there are WAY more girls than guys</p>

<p>I am at Bennington which has a very similar student body to Hampshire but I looked at Hampshire last year when I was applying to colleges. I think the great things about Hampshire are the freedom one gets to design his/her own education, no required freshman classes in subjects you don't care about, and the five colleges. You have such a range of schools, from an elite LAC (Amherst) to a large university (UMass). If you are enrolled at Hampshire you can take classes at any of the other schools. Also, the ratio is 59/41 girls to boys, not that bad. I ended up choosing Bennington because I liked the social feeling better and because of it's Field Work Term each year where you get to do an internship anywhere you want and therefore get experience in various fields and develop a resume. It is smaller than Hampshire, but a great school, you might want to take a look at it too. I think that at all of the alternative schools there are many people who are really serious about academics, you have to be to be successful, no one is carrying you in any way, it is all up to you.</p>

<p>
[quote]

The worst thing, probably, is the reputation as a school with "high" expectations... if you catch what I mean. For christ sake... they have a champion ultamite frisbee team.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Their ultimate team is awful. Not a champion by any means.
<a href="http://www2.upa.org/scores/scores.cgi?div=18&page=12&team=1849%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www2.upa.org/scores/scores.cgi?div=18&page=12&team=1849&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Forgive me.</p>

<p>Thank you for proving my point even further though.</p>

<p>And by the way, they actually were champs in the early to mid seventies.</p>

<p>As someone who just finished her first year at Hampshire, I can tell you one of the worst aspects of the college is a pervasive feeling of apathy. Sure, some students care, get involved, protest things, but most don't do more than talk about it, then get drunk or high. Lack of real sports sucked for me as well; I'm one of those people who likes getting dressed up in school colors and going to games. Hampshire doesn't even have official colors. </p>

<p>I'm not a fan of most of the student body. There is a monstruous drug scene that exists, but there are exceptions, too. </p>

<p>I loved the academics, don't get me wrong, but it's a horrible feeling to be paying $42,000 to attend a school that doesn't really have any money to spare.</p>