Why is TCU ranked so high on US News Best Colleges?

<p>TCU is ranked #92 on US News Best Colleges Ranking. SMU is #58, UT is #46, A&M is #65.</p>

<p>Why is TCU ranked so high? I've heard amazing things about the school but TCU is ranked far above other Texas schools. I'm not saying rank is very important in college admission searches but I am very curious. What do you think? I thought the business school and other schools at TCU were supposedly excellent and gave students lots of opportunities after graduating?</p>

<p>Texas</a> Christian University | Best College | US News</p>

<p>I may have worded by question the wrong way. Why is TCU ranked so *low on US News Best College.
Literally it should be high because 92 is higher than the rest but on a ranking scale, it’s low. Sorry about the confusion. Lots of people have seen this post but no one has responded!
Can anyone help!!?</p>

<p>Maybe people don’t really understand what you are asking. If you are asking should you be concerned about ranking or is TCU deficient in some way or why is TCU unknown to many, there are many possible interpretations of ranking. Clarify what you are asking or conerned about and you might get some opinions.</p>

<p>Yes you’re right. My question is confusing so what I’m really asking is </p>

<p>Should I be concerned about TCU’s ranking?</p>

<p>IMO it depends upon your undergrad degree and what you will do with it from there. For example, Neeley undergrad in order to get into a top MBA may be something to consider as important. AND unless you are considering a top 20 undergrad school and comparing that to TCU, it isn’t very relevant. Once you get out of the Top 20 schools and saty in the top 100ish, they all get pretty comparable. I would look at the strength of the program you want to major in terms of classes offered and quality of professors more than I would worry about ranking. My son went to TCU over UCLA and is a senior majoring in Biology (not a well known major at TCU, by any means) and he is successfully getting interviews for med school (which some of his UCLA friends are not). TCU is respected as a good undergrad institution so you really should be worrying about what school personality fits you better (that’s the real difference)…</p>

<p>My son went to TCU over SMU and didn’t even consider UT. It is really about the right fit and where you will excel. University rankings vary based on the criteria used by the organization. Yes, some schools within TCU are ranked very high (like the Business School). Additionally it has one of the only Sports Broadcasting majors in the country. But I agree with terri ^ your education is what you make of it. My son has done more while at TCU to build his resume and gain job experience than many young adults will do throughout their 20s. TCU continues to raise its academic profile – it is a goal of the chancellor’s. It is getting harder and harder to get in. The Honors college and dorm are amazing! It has hands-on attention from professors, small class size, big school spirit, winning D1 sports, beautiful dorms, wonderful alumni network and a close-knit community. I know it’s hard, but my advice is always to not get too hung up on rankings.</p>

<p>Just thought I would add this from another poster:</p>

<p>Anyone considering TCU for business may be interested in Bloomberg’s Businessweek Undergraduate Business School Rankings 2013:
Goes something like this:</p>

<ol>
<li>TCU (Neeley)
followed by:</li>
<li>James Madison</li>
<li>SMU (Cox)</li>
<li>USC (Marshall)</li>
<li>Wisconsin-Madison</li>
<li><p>Texas A&M (Mays) and</p></li>
<li><p>Santa Clara</p></li>
<li><p>Tulane (Freeman) - this one really surprises me, would have thought it would be north of 49…</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Thank you for all the responses!</p>

From everyone I have talked to, TCU’s Business School is not strong at all: lacks not only good instructors but has poor alumni connections. I hate backing up opinions with rankings, especially from USNWR but they do have TCU ranked at a measly 76. I think that may be low enough to throw out a lot of bias.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings/page+4

@zonaams what about these rankings
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/undergraduate_mba_profiles/texaschr.html

Lol, I’m going to a school that isn’t even ranked on US News, if that makes you feel any better. It’s on page 24 of 25, but I know it has a good program in what I want. It’s not that big of a deal. Like @Rice1961 says, it’s about fit, not ranking.

@zonaams Not certain where you are getting your info about the TCU business school. My daughter is a junior and had to turn down interviews for the summer of 2015 because she couldn’t fit any more in her schedule. She will be working in NYC with other TCU students (who also already have offers) this summer at a very prestigious firm. She had two TCU alumni mentors (one in Dallas and one in NY) who were in constant contact with her over the semester – helping with her resume, coaching her for interviews, and providing advice. We couldn’t be happier with TCU and Neeley.