Will a California student like A&M

<p>So, my son is wondering what his experience at A&M will be. Somewhere he has gotten the idea that there will be 50K straw chewing, narrow minded Republicans there who won't welcome or respect differences of opinion. I believe with the reputation for friendliness and that fact that it's a University filled with eager minds nobody will care where he comes from. Will he be able to relate and be accepted coming from a city in California? </p>

<p>My three sons from Arizona (Phoenix area) loved A&M. Here’s a link to my visit report: </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/texas-a-m-university/1376245.html”>http://www.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/texas-a-m-university/1376245.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>We have visited Cal Berkeley, Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, Texas, Texas A&M, and Arizona State among the big state universities. My oldest son has been accepted to all of the above (did not apply to Cal), is down to A&M and Purdue as his finalists for Aerospace Engineering, and is leaning toward A&M. My middle son (junior) has not liked any of the big state schools except for A&M. He really liked the A&M friendliness and traditions.</p>

<p>Now, I don’t know what your son is like. Texas is definitely more “liberal” than A&M, but nowhere near as liberal as Cal Berkeley. Both Texas schools have every type of student, but the average A&Mer is more conservative. A&M students more often come from small towns than Texas students. You are correct that A&M is an incredibly friendly place and I don’t think anyone will care that your son is from California, unless he tries to act cooler than everyone else and look down his nose at other students.</p>

<p>Of course, a visit would be best.</p>

<p>I am an A&M grad from 1986, but I have lived in California for 18 years, so I will give you my perspective. Students from southern universities are generally very friendly (offer to help you if you look overloaded with books, groceries, etc.) and probably more friendly than your son will be used to being from California. If you attend A&M with an attitude that the locals are all straw-chewing narrow minded Republicans, you probably won’t be embraced favorably, but if you attend with an open mind, you will never find a more friendly and accepting bunch than those at A&M. I am familiar with two local kids (SF Bay Area) who attended A&M. One absolutely loves it (although his mother attended A&M and he is a fairly conservative kid). The other was an athletic recruit and was not able to participate in his sport due to injury. He found the environment too different than he was used to, and left A&M. I would highly recommend a visit! I miss Texas so much - can’t wait to get back! </p>

<p>We did visit! He was very enthusiastic at the time so I am not sure where this idea came up. Perhaps kids making fun of his potential school? Anyway, I doubt he’d have an attitude, he’s not really “too cool”, just a good kid. But life is California is very different. He always reacts when we see things on the news about the Pro Life movement which always seem to be about Texas. We are sort of a live and let live family. Everybody gets to make their own choices and our job is to be good people and respect them even if those choices are different from ours.<br>
I would think in any college environment he will find that’s the majority but when people say so many from small towns and more conservative then UT it makes you wonder what exactly that means to people from Texas. These are honest questions so I can guide him. He is waiting to hear from UT but I don’t see that as as good a fit after our visits and he doesn’t have a firm idea of which is better either. </p>

<p>Is there an active social scene around A&M? Does everyone know people when they arrive, live with their high school friends etc? What about Sororities and Fraternities…are they good places to make friends if you don’t know anyone and everyone else does? What about Intramural sports?</p>

<p>Look into these sites for activities. There is something for everyone at A&M. </p>

<p><a href=“https://studentactivities.tamu.edu/app/search/index”>https://studentactivities.tamu.edu/app/search/index&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://studentlife.tamu.edu/gigemweek.tamu.edu”>http://studentlife.tamu.edu/gigemweek.tamu.edu&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Texasbound, what will your son be studying?</p>

<p>Beaudreau, business. Does it vary by department?</p>

<p>No, not really. My son intends to study aerospace engineering, so he doesn’t expect to get out a lot. Was your son admitted to the Honors Program?</p>

<p>Former Californian here. I grew up in San Jose/Bay Area for the first half of my life and I still visit every summer, so I can relate. My Cali family members would ask me questions like “Do people ride into school on horses?”… needless to say their perception of Texans is slightly skewed. </p>

<p>A&M will be welcoming, above all, in his first days there. There is an entire week (Howdy Week/Gig 'Em Week) dedicated to acquainting incoming students with the school, the organizations, and most importantly with each other. I came to A&M with a few people from high school, but I chose to have a potluck roommate and expand my social circle. </p>

<p>There is an organization for everyone. I would suggest your son join a Freshman Interest Group (FIG) or get matched up with an organization here: <a href=“Organizations - StuAct Online”>https://studentactivities.tamu.edu/app/organization&lt;/a&gt;
As far as sororities/fraternities go, it really just depends on your son’s interests. I haven’t really met an Aggie that discriminates another Aggie just because of the organization he/she is affiliated with. It kind of just goes against the spirit and values the school is built on. </p>

<p>Business students in particular are tightly knit together. Business students have most of their classes on west campus (adjacent to main campus), so they see each other everyday and study in the same library. There are also organizations specifically for business students. There is no shortage of resources either. </p>

<p>Lastly, Texans are known to be conservative and you will meet your fair share of hard right republicans, but campus life is very diverse. The battalion (the student newspaper) will be able to give you an idea of what is going on around campus: <a href=“News | thebatt.com”>http://www.thebatt.com/news&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Hope this was helpful!</p>

<p>Reveille…that was a great response, thank you for your time and effort. (everyone else who responded too!) Really good to hear from someone who knows both communities. We too are from San Jose.<br>
Still would love to hear from others from out of state how they found it! </p>

<p>We are OOS, and both of my kids decided independently to attend A&M. They love it there. I would highly recommend Fish Camp - you meet other students & they also get together when school starts. I agree with Reveille, except my youngest found the first week a little difficult since so many students have friends from HS they tend to gravitate towards them. However, he had met some people from Fish Camp, and they had scheduled get togethers which saved him. He knew that once school started it would be easier for him & it was. My daughter did sorority recruitment during Howdy week, so for her she was ( & is) beyond busy the entire week and loved it. Fraternity rush is later, my son is also in a fraternity-- he actually waited to join one in the spring versus fall rush. Join groups & clubs (there are 800) and get involved - there is something for everyone and just about everyone is involved in something. There are also lots of intramural teams,if your son is into athletics (mine is) and plays every semester plus the various groups also play as teams in intramurals & fundraising tournaments. The business school is affectionately known as Wehner High, they are a tight knit group but they also have friends in other majors. They both have friends from California at school, and they love it there too. Although they may have different political views, they are Aggies first and it isn’t a problem at all. As a parent, I love the level of respect they have for adults & each other. The howdy atmosphere is there all the time and not just a show for the new student tour. Neither of my kids have regretted their choice, they were looking for a school with school spirit & traditions, strong alumni connections, strong academics, & great job placement percentages ( it is rated #2 in the nation by recruiters). My oldest graduates in May, and signed her job offer last Fall–so it’s official, the school lived up to every one of her goals for the ideal university.</p>

<p>There are just as many kids from large cities at A&M as there are at UT. Many A&M kids come from Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. (But plenty from OOS as well.) I believe Houston is the 2nd or 3rd most “international” city in the U.S. Most kids that have grown up there have been exposed to every viewpoint, ethnicity, etc. By no means does everyone know each other and hang out with their high school friends. What others have said is true. There is a group for everyone! I have a senior there now and a high school senior who has it on his list. I echo the comments about going to Fish Camp. It is optional but really is so, so beneficial for making friends right away. Also – I think it is the 1st Sunday after classes start – there is MSC Open House. It is a big event in Reed Arena (basketball arena) where all the campus organizations are on display. A must for incoming freshmen.</p>

<p>He will love it if he keeps an open mind. The south is much more friendly than any other part of the country I have ever lived. Plus, he won’t be the only one from oos. When my s was looking at colleges, it was one of his choices and he loved the campus. He did not go there, but in general the area is very friendly. A good question to your son would be what would his friends do if a new student from Texas entered their high school. The fact is, texans would be more welcoming, I am certain of it. Once you have lived in the south, you see the difference and it is a pleasant surprise. </p>

<p>We are from California as well. The kids at A&M are undeniably friendly, but my student gets lots of quizzical “why TX?” upon meeting someone new. I think it’s mostly b/c the percentage of OOS kids is quite small…then there’s the weather factor :slight_smile: </p>

<p>We moved to Texas four years ago from a northern state. We had also lived on the West coast. Visiting A&M the first time was a significant event for our son (now admitted to University Honors - Chemical Engineering). We’ve found on our visits that there are a variety of students, and even though our son definitely is a “Yankee” he has loved visiting. He has gotten comparable financial offers from UT Austin, but just never felt the same openness or professional approach at UT as he has seen from A&M and MIT. </p>

<p>It seems that A&M understands high achieving students, and really spoke to his questions about how to secure research and internships. </p>

<p>Hi. I lived in Southern California suburbs before coming here. I’m in my freshmen year and I’m desperately trying to transfer out. My number one suggestion is to not come to this school. It will offer a lot of career opportunities (tons) and being from a competitive high school I’ve worked on my career really good. I have a group of friends. Other than that the social scene is terrible. The dating scene is terrible . It is like a whole different world here. People get married at 22 or younger which is crazy. The friendliness is nice however it doesn’t make up for the downsides. I’m looking to transfer to Austin or San Francisco. It sounds like coming from a city he probably is used to a culture of innovation and open mindness. You will not find that culture at Texas A&M. It is firmly set in tradition and is slow to change. Life is a lot more fun and there are a lot more new ideas/startups in cities. The economy is also a lot better in cities. I mean if your son wants a life changing crazy painful eye opening experience come to Texas A&M. I don’t regret going here because I learned a TON about myself. But I can’t wait to leave. Just know that going to Texas A&M from California will be the toughest college transition you could ask your son to do. </p>

<p>That’s why I tell my parents I am scared to go to texas a&m @goldeneagle123
I guess university of florida here I come </p>

<p>What oppotunities are there off campus? Would having a car help?</p>

<p>Goldeneagle123…what on earth are you talking about, “people get married at 22 or younger”?! No, most definitely not…I know quite a few people at A&M that are about 21 or so right now, and none of them are even close to getting married. My dad went to A&M many years ago, and he did not marry until 28. Maybe your friends are like that, but I’d like to make it clear that isn’t the norm at A&M.</p>

<p>@shopsouthern. Maybe Goldeneagle123 has mixed up Texas A&M with Brigham Young University, where the average age for marriage is 22 and 56% of graduates are married.</p>