Exactly how "conservative" is Texas A&M?

<p>TAMU's academic strength and variety of programs have caught my attention, and it's definitely a school I'll be applying to.</p>

<p>However, I've done some research, and have noticed that most people tend to describe the campus' atmosphere as relatively conservative. To what extent is this true? And, what exactly does this mean?</p>

<p>The reason I'm asking is that I don't want to attend a university that is too politically/religiously charged - that is, my dream school is one where there is a variety of political/religious/social views among the student body. </p>

<p>Hopeful, there have been several recent threads that are relevant to this topic. See, e.g.: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1618136-will-a-california-student-like-a-m.html#latest”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1618136-will-a-california-student-like-a-m.html#latest&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I think that conservative families in Texas tend to favor TAMU over say, UT-Austin. I’ve known several Texas families who have sent off their offspring to schools both in state and out of state and more liberal families rarely send their kids there. It’s in a rural type of environment and I think reflects the conservative leanings of the state. Both of my kids went to summer camps there and related that the students are very a friendly and cohesive group. However, both related they would never be interested in attending college there. Both born and raised in liberal Austin.</p>

<p>I was also kind of worry about the reputation of A&M as a “conservative” campus, but it’s not really true. The majority of students might be conservative, but many of them respect your beliefs. You will find people who also share your ideals, there’s something for everyone here.</p>

<p>I don’t necessarily think that TAMU students would be intolerant of more liberal leanings but it really depends on your comfort level. I think my kids found the environment too rural and not enough like minded students to make it a comfortable fit for them. Sure there are students at TAMU from all over Texas (and other places) but more likely they are from rural or suburban high schools. </p>

<p>Having a senior there now, I would agree with wiiplay4. There is something for everyone. And the overall friendliness really creates a spirit of respecting differences of opinion. I would venture to guess that at many “liberal” colleges a conservative viewpoint is much less tolerated than a liberal viewpoint is at A&M.</p>

<p>Well, not sure about the above post. How would you this? There is a difference between being tolerated and being made to feel unwelcomed and less than by the culture of a school. TAMU has a military corps history, so it does have a conservative atmosphere (politically and socially). </p>

<p>Sorry- meant to say “how would you know this?”</p>

<p>Attended a “conservative” campus for undergrad and a “liberal” campus for grad. The post was my opinion. May not be shared by all.</p>

<p>A&M is not that conservative. In fact, only 80% don’t believe in evolution (down from 82% in 2011).</p>

<p>Please reconsider what appears to be a fundamental assumption taking place here that “conservative” equals intolerance, a lack of respect, or the absence of diversity. I’d venture one could fallaciously say the same thing, in the reverse, about Berkeley, or UT Austin, or most any New England university due to their “liberalness.”</p>

<p>tshusker…Coming from one who asked a similar question and being from California, I would completely agree that it may actually be liberals that condemn conservative more vehemently. I suspect people as nice as those at TAMU would at least be tolerant of other opinions. You could expect a far less warm welcome as a conservative at CAL. </p>

<p>Goingnutsmom…you said your kids found everyone friendly and were there for summer programs not as students of A&M. Is this the extent the experience you are drawing your opinion on?
I would consider myself socially liberal but found the presence of the Corps to be really nice. Very polite young men striving to set an example. I have no problem with that and in fact admire it despite my liberal leanings. </p>

<p>How conservative… that is a hard question to answer but with a population in the neighborhood of 50K you know that everyone isn’t cut from one mold. My S, a liberal minded environmentalist is completely comfortable on campus. When he first started he commented on how polite and helpful everyone was. The lifestyle is very different than at an inner city school like UT so the question of what the student is comfortable with goes beyond the question of it being conservative. I would expect a kid craving city life would not be happy at TAMU… If the student is looking for a friendly cohesive environment with lots of spirit with college town amenities it is a wonderful choice. Will you find groups of politically and religiously charged students? Definitely, but it all depends on the company you choose. We saw similar groups when we toured the UT campus as well. A school that big has it all.</p>

<p>spectrum2, Great response! Thank you.</p>

<p>It is true that my kids were there over the summer but ate in the cafeteria, researched in the library, and were with students who were very interested in attending TAMU (that’s why they were there). Also my son actually had TAMU students in one of his classes. My daughter’s camp was run by TAMU students. Plus, I’m from Texas and have known a lot of families who have kids there, have had kids there or are interested in applying. Also knew a prof who taught there. So, I think I have a general perspective on the place based on these things. Really hate to get into a conservative/liberal- who is more tolerant debate. I don’t know why people get so reactionary about saying that TAMU is on the conservative side of things. You’ll find tolerance/intolerance on both sides. My kids just wouldn’t feel comfortable there. They grew up seeing Leslie, after all. It’s all about fit. </p>

<p>Oh, and TAMU consistently makes the list as one of the least friendly to LBGT students.</p>

<p>Bump</p>

<p>@135pipe. In the “Will a California Student Like A&M” thread, you posted late yesterday:"That’s why I tell my parents I am scared to go to texas a&m @goldeneagle123 I guess university of florida here I come. Then you bumped this thread for more attention. Sheesh, go to Florida already.</p>

<p>@135pipe At this point are you just looking for attention? It is going to be what you make of it.</p>

<p>And your dream school is Texas, where you were CAP’d. So, it’s Texas first, then Florida, and somewhere in the pack comes A&M. You have 402 posts, including those in the 24 threads that you started. It does seem like you are just looking for attention, or for someone to beg you to come to A&M.</p>