Will I get rescinded?

Hey guys, I recently transferred to Tech over the summer as part of the summer 2023 conditional transfer pathway. However, I failed one of the required classes to transfer (due to an extenuating circumstance - it was very last minute and originally I was supposed to end with a B+). Because I didn’t anticipate this and my final transcripts were not ready by the time the summer term started, I am currently retaking that class at tech. However, I’m scared once they receive my transcript I will be rescinded. I emailed admissions and they said they have put a note on my account and will wait til final transcripts have been sent to potentially send me an email asking for an explanation. What are my chances of rescinded acceptance?

1 Like

Does anyone also know anyone who went through something similar?

I’m guessing that you explained the extenuating circumstance? It’s encouraging that they didn’t immediately rescind when you first emailed them, as it appears you explained that you failed the class are are retaking it.

It’s hard to know how to advise you. If there was a sudden medical issue, you might be able to get a retroactive medical withdrawal for that class. At any rate, I suggest you talk to an advisor at your current school and ask how to proceed. GT might be satisfied with just an explanation, but I wouldn’t take the chance.

1 Like

My best guess is that you will be required to apply through the regular transfer process and that the chances for admission are not good.

https://admission.gatech.edu/transfer/conditional-pathway

Watch the short video. Contact Ms. Lasean Price. Over the past couple of decades, Georgia Tech has been very open about its admissions process.

Which course did you fail ?

Since you are currently retaking the course at Ga Tech, you may not get rescinded if you do well. Truthfully, only an advisor or admissions officer at Georgia Tech can give you a firm response.

If you have time, could you please list the required classes ? Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for your advice, I’m going to contact my advisor and see my next steps. The transfer requirements differ by major, if you just search up “transfer requirements by major GAtech” you’ll find a pdf online.

Hello, thank you for your advice, I haven’t explained my situation to them as it is a bit sensitive to bluntly state over email. I think the email reply they sent was very general and they perhaps meant I will simply have to wait and see.

Regardless, you need to see the advisor at your current school.

By “my advisor”, are you referring to your transfer advisor at Georgia Tech ?

OP: I reread your original post. You have already notified Georgia Tech admissions of the failing grade. Because you were proactive in retaking the failed course at Georgia Tech, my best guess is that a high grade may save your status or it may make you reasonably competitive in the regular transfer pool.

Regardless, you are proceeding correctly by alerting Georgia Tech admissions. View the video & contact Ms. Lasean Price at Georgia Tech.

Is the failing grade in a required conditional transfer pathway class? What is your final GPA? Unfortunately conditional pathway transfer requirements are very strict and typically they require you meet all requirements.

Contact the transfer pathway admission person above.

2 Likes

My understanding is that the failing grade is in a required pathway transfer course.

1 Like