Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

Mach E is a great looking car. If we are going to add another EV, Mach E will be seriously considered.

Ford still sells ICE Mustangs. The Mustang fan crowd was ticked off by Ford’s use of the iconic pony on an SUV!

1 Like

I have an ID.4 I’ve been very happy with. The new Audi e-tron wasn’t available yet but I’m glad I went with the VW. I liked the Polestar 2 a lot also but it’s more of a sedan. Friends have an XC40 recharge and love it. There’s an XC90 electric coming and a Polestar 3 if you want larger.

I’ve looked at the xc40 recharge…it’s a possibility…

For a hybrid, I sort of like the Venza.

I really would like a plug in hybrid…sedan or small SUV. I drive maybe 30 miles a day. I like that I would use electric for most of my driving but would have the hybrid option for longer trips.

I don’t like the Prius…I just don’t sit comfortably in it.

Also looking at the ioniq6.

2 years ago my older s had a reservation on an VW id.4 . He did a lot of research and was looking forward to it, but covid and chip manufacturing delayed the production and delivery, and he needed the suv sized vehicle for his growing family. So he got the (sorry to mention the “T” word) used model X instead.

1 Like

1 Like

Also, why we’re talking about the Mustang Mach-E:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/04/business/automakers-problems-catching-up-with-tesla/index.html

And an opinion piece from the NY Times taking a contra position:

I don’t think that Tesla, as a standalone company, can withstand competition from the likes of HUGE auto manufacturers like Ford, GM, Volkswagen, and Stellantis. I think Tesla’s exit strategy will have to be to sell out to a bigger manufacturer…or go the way of the DeLorean.

If it’s the latter, hopefully we can have another brilliant movie franchise like “Back to Future.”

Imagine how much faster the thing will be if all of that dead weight is removed?! :laughing:

1 Like

I wasn’t able to read the article, but Ford is also having difficulties getting their electric F-150 off the ground as well. However, I agree about the long run viability of Tesla, though I wouldn’t compare them to DeLorean, unless Musk is arrested for some sort of cocaine deal.

As a consumer and car enthusiast, most manufacturers are either updating their design(s) or completely overhauling their platforms every 5 +/- years or so. The S, X, Y and 3 all look essentially the same to me.

And other than software updates, I haven’t noticed any significant panel, chassis, wheel, paint palette, etc. updates. And the front end of some of them look so “plain jane” (being polite) or unimaginative to me.

I love their original Roadster, but that was a Lotus design.

And while walking my dog this AM, the whirling sound eminating from what I think was an accelerating S was just awful sounding. Scared the “you know what” out of my dog. Some EV manufacturers get the EV sound right.

Looking the same does not necessarily mean that they are the same (many companies try to have similar design language across their lineups). The S and X are closely related, as are the 3 and Y, but there are significant differences between the two sets of vehicles.

It is true that Tesla has not done full redesigns (or even major restylings) of any of these models, preferring the more incremental change method like VW did with the air cooled Beetle. But not every change is an improvement, whether an incremental one or one that is part of a major redesign.

Not every front end trying not to be “plain jane” is necessary more attractive, however.

1 Like

That op-Ed is written by a guy who writes for an ICE automotive trade magazine, and it’s mostly about tesla employees not being unionized. Meh.

1 Like

I believe they purposely added an external sound to the cars in newer models b/c people and animals didn’t hear the cars coming.

2 Likes

Our Kia Niro makes really annoying sounds. It makes a sort of spaceship/electronic noise when we drive forward, and it has a back-up beep louder than a construction vehicle. I find it really embarrassing when I am backing up my tiny hatchback and it sounds like I’m backing up a bulldozer.

2 Likes

The VW Beetle is a great comparison for the Tesla. I agree, the Tesla is the modern day VW Beetle.

On our Kia EV there are four levels of regenerative braking (none, low, medium, and high) and you can easily switch between them with a paddle on the steering wheel. When we first got our car I did not like the regenerative braking at all, but my husband asked me to try driving it on the lowest level for a while to see if I could get used to it. I did pretty quickly and have been able to move up to the medium level, and I don’t even notice it now. My husband, on the other hand, drives on the highest level and likes that.

2 Likes

DH’s new prius makes funny noises

I ordered the Cadillac Lyriq. Willing to wait for it. I love GM’s “Super Cruise” feature and the Lyriq has it. It would be in that “smaller SUV” category. The debut editions are starting to hit the roads.

2 Likes

When I bought my Smart car and did research on it, I found that Ford sold very well in Europe. It was far and away the best selling American manufactured car on the continent. They were very good at adapting to a different market and selling designs that consumers in a different market wanted. I’m not surprised that they’re doing so well.

3 Likes

This was on the news this morning while I was eating my cereal.

2 Likes