Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

The way things are going, we may not have a lot of choices. We may not have noticed it in this country, but apparently, Chinese made batteries (and EVs) have dominated recently in their home market (the world’s largest) and rapidly increasing their market shares elsewhere. There’s an article in NYTimes that touched some aspects of this trend in its Shanghai Auto Show coverage:
China’s Car Buyers Have Fallen Out of Love With Foreign Brands - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

1 Like

I’ll hold out on gas engines until the Second Coming.

1 Like

I’m still hoping they can get this one into production. Time will tell. We have one reserved if they do, but not one of their “extra investment” first run promotion.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Toyota really dropped the ball on EVs. I would never buy one from them. They had to recall the BZ4X because the wheels literally fell off. Great on hybrids but just abysmal on EVs.

1 Like

As an aside, toyota’s app and electric key is glitchy and much poorer quality than Tesla’s

For reasons I don’t understand, Japanese (and Germans) are great with the hardware they build, but not so good with the software they build.

Looks like the Jetsons car!:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I really hope they get into production soon. They’re getting there. When my son sent me a link to it I didn’t quite know what to expect. When I watched the video I knew I wanted one. I think it looks cool and it would mean no gas stations or electrical needs at all for my local driving - just solar. When we go on many of our trips we’re well within the mileage it can handle for a day. We opted for 600 miles and the camping package, plus higher ground clearance.

It’s the first car I’ve ever “reserved!”

1 Like

I’d love to see their calculations… somehow, I feel very skeptical about a small solar panel’s ability to carry a 150-lb human and all that metal and rubber plus the battery.

1 Like

They have prototypes out on the road, so I’d think their calcs would be coming from those. The solar part will only get one 20 miles per day. The rest comes from electric charging.

Around here I rarely drive more than 20 miles in one day. It’s 5 miles to school (one way). Less to the grocery store…

On a trip the rest of the miles would come from the battery. Charging could be coordinated at our stops (relatives or destination).

Sadly, the Nikola fiasco demonstrated that with prototypes, the saying “trust but verify” is still very much applicable.

I wish them well. :slight_smile:

Which is why I put “hope” in my posts. Nothing is a done deal yet - nor have we spent a lot of money with a reserved vehicle. :wink:

Toyota did really drop the ball on EVs. They were very focused on true hybrids like the Prius as a transitional technology but it turned out they didn’t have as much time as they (and the Japanese government) thought. We just moved to France a month or so ago and, after evaluating all the EV/hybrid options, decided to buy one gasoline-powered car and one EV = a Peugeot e-208GT that is actually a lot of fun. The “mild hybrid” and plug-in hybrid options just didn’t make sense to us. We are also adding solar panels on the house that will probably cover at least half our electricity consumption. The battery for the solar setup will be Chinese, but the solar panels are US-made. Not sure about the battery in the car.

3 Likes

The Toyota EV reminds me of the scene from Back to the Future where Doc looks at a failed circuit…

Toyota – and the Japanese government – was all-in on hydrogen fuel EV. They spent billions on hydrogen research and they are still investing in it. As a result, they are way behind on battery EV’s.

Here’s an article today in The Economist about how the Japanese automakers are losing the EV race:

How Japan is losing the global electric-vehicle race | The Economist

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/u-s-car-brands-will-benefit-most-from-electric-car-tax-breaks/

“Only 10 vehicles will initially qualify for tax credits of $7,500, less than one-quarter of the battery-powered cars on sale in the United States. But those 10 include many of the most popular models and accounted for two-thirds of electric vehicle sales before the new rules took effect.

Tesla’s Model 3 and Model Y, the bestselling electric vehicles in the United States, will qualify for the full $7,500 credit, with one exception, according to a list published by the Treasury Department on Monday. The least expensive version of the Model 3 will qualify for only half the credit because its battery is made in China.”

PSA: Tesla lowered prices (again) on the Model Y today

If you want to know how Tesla car prices have changed over time, here is a Tesla car price history spreadsheet:

(Note: it is not private for reading, although it may take some time to load.)

1 Like