Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

Here is where you can check which models qualify for how much tax credit:

2 Likes

A Chevy Bolt is $55,000!?!?!?

Edit: Nevermind. :rofl:

The spreadsheet says it’s private. Can you fix? Oh it finally opened.

For clarification, the $55,000 or $80,000 numbers are the price limits. While no new Chevrolet Bolt will exceed the applicable $55,000 price limit*, some other vehicles listed may have some versions loaded up with options that exceed their applicable $55,000 or $80,000 price limit.

*Indeed, you may be able to buy two Chevrolet Bolts for $55,000.

2 Likes

If you can find them.

Anyone know how to figure out who makes plug in hybrid SUV’s besides BMW?

Tons of them. Here’s one example:

Thanks. I was trying to find any in my area and it looks like they are few and far between. So searching at local dealerships was not fruitful.

I’ll keep looking

I know I’m hesitant on electric vehicles, but my S mentioned he’s interested in buying one. I believe he mentioned a Tesla. He will graduate next month and move to MA, where at least it sounds like the infrastructure is far superior than our town.

I know they are pricey, but he will also be living rent free for the foreseeable future. 6-12 months? So he should be able to save a fair amount of $$$ plus he has a fair amount and has a great salary.

So… this has probably been covered before, but how are Teslas is MA snow and ice? It would be his only vehicle and he will have a fairly long commute - which he doesn’t mind.

And other recommendations for such a vehicle vs a Tesla for such conditions? We are southern VA people. We don’t get snow.

Most questions and answers here are common to most cars. Most cars come with all-season tires that are usable but not optimal in snow and ice with careful driving (as opposed to summer tires that should not be used in snow and ice). However, those who drive in a season of snow and ice may want to choose all-season tires with better snow and ice performance (with the mountain+snowflake symbol usually seen on winter tires, commonly called all-weather tires), or get a second set of wheels with winter tires for seasonal use.

But note that better winter capability may compromise other tire characteristics, such as rolling resistance (which affects economy and range – most cars come with tires with low rolling resistance for better economy) or non-winter performance.

Perhaps an important consideration with any EV is whether he will have or can install charging at home that has a higher power than the typical 120V 15A outlets (may be a dedicated EV charging outlet or hardwired EVSE, or an existing electric dryer outlet that an EVSE can be plugged into). If he does, “refueling” will be very convenient – never stop at a fuel station. If not, “refueling” will typically be less convenient than for a liquid fueled car.

Thanks. The charging part I knew about and don’t know what is available at his new house. That part would be easier to figure out for him I think. I just didn’t know if certain ones just were not good in snow.

We have always had a 4 wheel drive for the few dinky ones we get. And I vaguely recall my parents putting snow tires on the car when we lived in Ohio 40-50 years ago. That’s the extent of my snow driving knowledge, lol. But at least his new family has been living there forever. I’m sure they will help him.

https://www.tesla.com/en_eu/support/winter-driving-tips

The other thing to note about cold weather driving in EVs is that cabin heat is not free (unlike in ICEVs where cabin heat is provided by waste heat from the engine). EVs with heat pumps (reverse AC) generally use less energy for heating than those with resistance heating. Heated seats generally use much less energy than cabin heat.

3 Likes

EVs are generally very good in snow and there is AWD available on most these days, which also means a second motor and more power (your son likely had a dual motor AWD in mind…). As mentioned, tires are the key. You might lose some range and efficiency with higher rolling resistance but it’s probably worth the trade off. There are all weather options like the Michelin cross climate 2 which might be sufficient depending on his typical routes.

One thing to consider in MA is that electricity rates have been climbing recently. He should do some realistic calculations if the idea is to save money, or just for budgeting purposes. It’s probably not the same calculation as if he were moving to a state with low rates. Might be a moot point if his house has solar or he he just prefers EV driving. Personally I’d prefer EV even at higher cost but some might not.

Also, if he’d prefer non-Tesla for various reasons, the Hyundai Ioniq 5, VW ID.4, or Kia EV6 might be appealing.

2 Likes

There was a big increase just before the winter, but they have decreased that.

2 Likes

My husband has a Tesla for a few years now and absolutely loves it and wouldnt consider anything but an EV car for himself. I was driving a hybrid and was expecting to buy another hybrid but honestly it was just so challenging to find a dealer that could get a hybrid, none in stock and long long waits. So I gave up and went back to all gas. Kind of a bummer and it’s taking some getting used to going back to all gas!

I love my plug in prius prime 2018. It meets our needs well. It has an electric range of about 30 miles and the gas tank holds about 12 gallons or so, I believe.

From the New Yorker:

I drive a Model Y in the MA area and would definitely recommend a set of dedicated snow tires/wheels (as recommended in the link posted above) if you intend to drive in the snow/while it’s snowing. If you can wait until the roads are plowed you can probably get away with the AS tires. But if you have to commute at specific times, make pickups/dropoffs etc at a specific time, whether it’s snowing or not, get snow tires.

3 Likes