Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

Younger s just moved from a condo building where each had a dedicated parking space. One resident wanted to install a charger and initially the head of the HOA resisted claiming the increase in cost to the shared residents of the electricity used in the garage should not be shared across the residents. They did some studies and determined that the cost was so negligible it was irrelevant. Resident was allowed to install the charger.

2 Likes

The public charger that my daughter uses charges a small fee for the first 2 hours and then it doubles. I think the price increases the longer you are there to deter camping out.

Daughter lived in an apartment building with a garage. There were complimentary charging stations, but it was the same cars (not even EV’s) that camped out in the spots. It was super annoying.

Unfortunately the biggest problem is that there has to be some sort of system for people not to hog the station.

1 Like

That wasn’t the issue raised by UCB, which was geopolitical concerns bcos of our (self-imposed) dependence on foreign sources.

I had to buy a car sooner than I expected. I got a hybrid as I’m still not comfortable with the EV mileage for my road trips. They are in very short supply and I’m still waiting for delivery one month plus later. You can’t even test drive them because all the dealers sell incoming inventory and have none on hand. So I purchased solely based on reviews and the recommendation of my car repair guy. Next car after this (hopefully at least a decade in the future) will surely be EV.

What did you order?

DH seems generally happy with his new Prius hybrid. He wanted the prime (plug in EV) but the 23 isn’t available in the US yet. And if it was, there would probably be a long wait and a premium cost.

1 Like

It came down to the 2023 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited and the Honda CRV Hybrid Sport Touring. First one available for delivery won, so I ended up with the Honda. It’s supposed to be delivered this week or next. :crossed_fingers:t5:

1 Like

So true about short supply…though DH found one to test drive. He put a deposit down on a hybrid Lexus and the estimated wait is 12-14 months…which is fine for us.

That doesn’t answer or negate my question. What’s the problem with trying to use non-renewable resources lightly and switching what we can to lengthen the time humans can have with them?

Why are the current generations willing to use them all up simply because we’ll be dead before the problem is here?

5 Likes

How about you call them what they are, climate scientists, instead of demeaning those who actually are knowledgeable about the changing global climate with the term “climate crowd”? I was willing to let one time go but you’ve used that phrase more than once and it’s pretty clear disrespect is meant.

2 Likes

Actually I’m referring to the politicians and bureaucrats enacting the laws and regulations in connection with the 100% renewable electricity policies and agenda. They are not climate scientists.

Methinks you have much less belief in future generations than I, and reminds me of teh Population Bomb where Paul Ehlich said we’d run out of food in the '70’s.

What do you think future generations are going to be able to do, esp if people (like some today) are unwilling to embrace any changes?

1 Like

Like this?

2 Likes

I understand, but what is your point? (or those of the folks that Liked it?)

I was not suggesting that we run autos on NatGas, I was just referencing one fossil fuel that the US happens to have a lot of beneath the surface. And we choose to leave it there, and become dependent on foreign sources. (We could have cranked up our NatGas production prior to the Ukraine invasion and be in the position to ship it to Europe. But we have chosen to depend on foreign sources.)

And don’t forget that California has already banned to sale of ICE vehicles after 2035. The President wants 50% of new car sales to be electric by 2030. (As the per capita use of oil/gasoline declines it will last longer, no?)

btw: teh French have done very well with Nuclear.

That Natural Gas quantities in an ICE or EV thread doesn’t play much except in producing electricity - totally in favor of EV I suppose.

ETA: Also helpful to note that almost all car manufacturers said they were eliminating new ICE vehicles by 2035 prior to Newsom’s ban. Newsom was just riding on their coattails. If the manufacturers continue with what they say they are doing (and that depends upon the future I suspect) then few will be buying new ICE vehicles by that time anywhere.

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info but none of this is accurate.

Natural gas production in the US has been increasing for years (although the Covid period saw drops). It is at an all time high.

The US is a net exporter of natural gas. Energy markets are global, so some natural gas is indeed imported. But not as much as is exported from the US. Domestic production exceeds consumption.

Almost all of the natural gas that is imported comes from Canada via pipeline.

Imports peaked in 2007 and exports have exceeded imports since 2017, with exports rising drastically year over year around 2014.

2 Likes

I just looked up oil too FWIW. It was interesting to see how “bad” Biden has been. :rofl:

• The United States was a total petroleum net exporter in 2020 and 2021

In 2021, the United States exported about 8.54 million barrels per day (b/d) and imported about 8.47 million b/d of petroleum,1 making the United States an annual total petroleum net exporter for the second year in a row since at least 1949. Total petroleum net exports were about 0.06 million b/d in 2021, and total petroleum net exports in 2020 were 0.63 million b/d. Also in 2021, the United States produced2 about 18.77 million b/d of petroleum and consumed3 about 19.89 million b/d. Even though U.S. annual total petroleum exports were greater than total petroleum imports in 2020 and 2021, the United States still imported some crude oil and petroleum products from other countries to help to supply domestic demand for petroleum and to supply international markets.

The United States remained a net crude oil importer in 2021, importing about 6.11 million b/d of crude oil and exporting about 2.96 million b/d. However, some of the crude oil that the U.S. imports is refined by U.S. refineries into petroleum products—such as gasoline, heating oil, diesel fuel, and jet fuel—that the U.S. exports. Also, some of imported petroleum may be stored and subsequently exported.

U.S. petroleum imports peaked in 2005

After generally increasing every year from 1954 through 2005, U.S. gross and net total petroleum imports peaked in 2005. Since 2005, increases in domestic petroleum production and increases in petroleum exports have helped to reduce annual total petroleum net imports. In 2020 and 2021, annual total petroleum net imports were actually negative, the first years since at least 1949.

2 Likes

People are fearful of nuclear power, its fuel, and its waste, but do not seem to realize that oil, gas, and coal produce radioactive waste. Choices of energy source (for vehicles and other things) and amount used matter on a population scale.

4 Likes

Let’s get back on topic please.

My ds had hoped his car would last until the end of b-school next June, but he was in an accident (not his fault and thankfully no one hurt), and it was deemed totaled by the at-fault party’s insurance co. It was the car we had bought him used in high school and worth so little he didn’t even carry collision on it, so that wasn’t surprising. It was low mileage for its age, and ds had taken good care of it. Disappointing timing, for sure. Happily he received more $ from the other party’s insurance co. than he expected.

He wants to buy an EV and specifically he wants to buy the Chevy Bolt EUV which, as others have indicated, is being discontinued. He is aware of this, but its low price is appealing to him. I can appreciate the frugality but question the practicality.

Honestly, I feel like buying a solely electric vehicle that will no longer be manufactured is a mistake. I struggle with only EV for a variety of reasons. He doesn’t know where he will land when he graduates, but feels certain it will be somewhere, “evolved,” (his word) enough that charger availability won’t be a problem. I worry about electric grid challenges (and fire evacuations and other things) should he remain in California. Dh also believes buying this car to not be a great decision, but he won’t say anything to ds. Dh firmly believes in staying out of ds’s choices.

I could probably create a thread on how parents handle giving advice to their adult children when they believe they are making bad choices.

At any rate, the answer to the question is, “My ds wants to buy an all electric vehicle.”

2 Likes