Will you buy an electric or hybrid car next?

That’s the Chevy BOLT EUV, not VOLT. The Volt was a hybrid discontinued several years ago. I have driven a Chevy BOLT for 6 years now. Love that car. Congrats to your son on a fine choice!

1 Like

Thanks. I corrected it.

Aside from the all-electric v hybrid aspect, I really have reservations about purchasing a car that will no longer be manufactured. I’m glad you like your vehicle.

My daughter bought a Hyundai Kona EV. It’s not being discontinued but I worried about all the other things. I think the price started at $33,000.

She’s had it for 2 plus years and it’s been good. She’s very happy. She doesn’t like to drive and so the car works for her. She doesn’t take road trips and mostly drives it to work and back. It works for her. Anytime we would ask her to travel, she has a built in excuse. Sorry I can’t, my car doesn’t have the range and I don’t want to think about charging it halfway.

The only time she needed a car for a road trip, she rented a car.

The car is parked on the street and charged at a public charger.

My opinion. Let him do what he wants. Either it works or it doesn’t. That’s his issue. Tell us your reservations :sunglasses:

There’s really almost no maintenance to it. I wouldn’t be worried about that it is discontinued. Chevy has plenty of trained EV technicians if something should come up, but it’s basically replace the wipers and the tires once in awhile and that’s it.

They’re discontinuing it because they are moving into making EV versions of some of their other vehicles like the Equinox and Blazer. They will be more expensive though.

3 Likes

All vehicles eventually stop being manufactured, even if a redesigned version with the same name replaces it in the company’s lineup. If you bought a Toyota Corolla or Ford F-150 a few years ago, it is not the same as the current one.

2 Likes

I adore my Bolt EUV. I’m sorry they aren’t making more because I think it is a great car, but I’m not worried about it. I drove a Pontiac Vibe for years after the whole company closed!

3 Likes

Anyone know anything about the new small Volvo EV? It’s a smaller SUV style and it will be released soon. All electric which isn’t really what I want at this point, but I might consider it at some point…depending on the range.

In terms of EV convenience, EVs are very convenient for those who have overnight charging at home (usually a dedicated 240V outlet or reuse of an existing 240V dryer outlet; typical 120V outlet charging is quite slow, but may be usable for those who usually drive small mileages per day). However, those who do not have charging at home may find EVs less convenient since charging is slower than adding liquid fuel.

2 Likes

That’s accurate, but the fuel (electricity) usually costs less than gas (depending on what part of the country you’re in) and the maintenance for EVs is much less (no oil changes, no belts and hoses to worry about, no regular tune ups). Certainly more convenient to be able to plug in at night but if you work in an office building and have chargers there that’s just as easy. Also many other locations like gyms and grocery stores sometimes have chargers. You can just plug in and go food shopping while your car is charging. But that is definitely something to think about and map out before making an EV purchase — how can I conveniently charge? Check on the Plugshare app or website for chargers that work for you.

ABC news just said average age of cars on the road today is 12 years. And the average cost of a new car is $48k and used around $29k (Cars are getting more expensive. Here's how to keep yours on the road longer to avoid costly payents - ABC News)

Reminder that this thread is about buying an electric or hybrid vehicle, not used cars. Please move on or start a new topic.

1 Like

Well younger S and H are test driving a Hyundai Tuscon Blue Hybrid. He wants to purchase in September but it might happen sooner. It came down to that and the RAV 4 hybrid. Both are hard to find, but the Tuscon seems much easier. And we are comfortable with Hyundai. I have one - an 11 year old sonata. Older S’ first car was one, and he just bought an elantra a couple of years ago.

I do love the 100K warranty and now they do free oil changes and all routine maintenance for 3 years. That’s something I HATE about the Subaru. You can’t get out of there <$200 and often $500! I think the max I paid for the sonata is $200 and it’s usually <$100.

I’m just a sucker for sales. When I test drive something, I want it now. Lol. But the one they have here is silver. He would prefer the dark gray.

Silver is better at hiding dirt. :wink: Our silver Lexus was never dirty. The dark blue X - not so much.

2 Likes

Avoid the Mass Pike this weekend.

1 Like

Just completed a hassle free and most enjoyable road trip (around 900 miles) in my EV. I have an ID.4 and drove from southern CA up the coast to the SF Bay Area, inland to Sacramento and back down via the Central Valley. Very easy to plan stops for charging with the app, and stations were available and convenient.
It does take more planning and math skills…I am now quite good at calculating mileage taking into account need for the AC and decrease in mileage with hills. But I rather enjoyed the mental challenge.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Hopefully this will boost the use of the Tesla charging handle, the “North American Charging Standard”, which is lighter, easier to use, contains fewer parts, and costs less to manufacture than the clunkier CCS, required in Europe (and which was adopted by the Biden Admin).

1 Like